64 Audio - Official Thread

So jealous. I would love a pair myself. That was a cracking good write up. Just what I was looking for. I have been looking at 64 Audio for ages. When I get the cash I would like to get a pair myself.

2 Likes

Apparently 64Audio are announcing and previewing a new IEM at CanJam this weekend. Can’t wait to see what that is. There may be some swearing (and some rejoicing) if it’s a custom-fit version of the tia Fourté.

Though if the in-shadow teaser image is anything to go by, it looks like a universal … something they don’t have a model for under $2,000 today …

3 Likes

I’ve heard rumours of a new tia fourté online. I didn’t watch Jude’s video but there was mention of something in there. If they’re doing a custom fourté though i would imagine they would be announcing a custom trio along with it.

3 Likes

So … this must be the new tia Fourté …

I wonder if this is what they were teasing/sampling at CanJam … given it’d fit the time-frame they talked about.

5 Likes

Someone got a measurement of the prototype at CanJam. It measured basically the same as the regular Tia Fourte.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: 64 Audio Tia Trio - Official Thread

I purchased a 64 Audio a18T ciem pair back in December. The left side fits ok, and have had one remake of the right side, and it still causes pain after a few minutes, even using Oto-Ease lubricant. The pain is in the anterior side of the ear canal, right behind the tragus. Also, I hear my pronounced heartbeat to the point where it interferes with my listening to music. Perhaps it is pressing against a nearby blood vessel in my ear canal? I have alerted the 64 Audio refit department again, but have not heard back from them. You would think that they would have more responsive support for a ciem that costs so much.

These iems sound terrific. I would just like them to fit properly. :rage:

1 Like

This is a solid discount!! To bad the current situation is more about to save as much as you can, at least in our little family business.

2 Likes

That’s an excellent deal!

Do you here your heartbeat (pulsatile tinnitus) without the IEM’s in? If you do, get it checked out.

1 Like

No, I only hear my heartbeat with the ciem’s in. But thanks for the advice.

I think that I have diagnosed the problem for me, and perhaps for others who have problems with custom item fitting. I believe that when they inject the silicone under a certain amount of pressure, that it distends the ear canal in places where it is flexible, and creates a slightly oversized mold in that area - which is then translated into hard acrylic by the iem manufacturer.

The solution that I am going to try (as soon as the coronavirus issue is resolved) is to have my ears 3D laser-scanned (with an OtoScan machine) at a local audiologist. Since the scanner does not touch the wall of the ear canal, this should result in a more accurate mold of my ear canal, and subsequently a better fit for my 64 Audio a18T ciems.

BTW, I have to give a hand to Taron for waking up 64 Audio for me. After he contacted them, they are much more responsive. Thanks Taron!

2 Likes

In case you guys want to fine tune your 64audio IEMs even more, FiR Audio offers modules that should sound a little different than the stock M15/M20 modules! Check it out here. Thanks @antdroid for letting me know that these exist! I just ordered a set! I’ll share my thoughts and how much it changes the U12t when I receive them in the mail.

7 Likes

Hi everyone !
I have had the chance to try out the 64audio Tia Trio for the past 2-3 weeks and this is all thanks to the HEADPHONE Community Preview Program. I highly encourage people to participate and share their thoughts !

I guess I should begin with a few disclaimers. Firstly, the music I tend to listen to revolves a lot around metal, rock, instrumental and soundtracks. Here is a non-exhaustive list of the bands I used to gather my thoughts : Dream Theater, Haken, Jinjer, Tool, Gojira, Trivium, Devin Townsend Project, Killswitch Engage, Lamb of God, Porcupine Tree, Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle, Soen, Animals as Leaders, Hans Zimmer, Final Fantasy OST, Hollow Knight OST and Ori & the Blind Forest OST. Secondly, my library consists of my own 16bit 44.1 KHz FLAC files and I also use streaming services like Tidal Masters and Spotify (on the very high setting). Thirdly, I used the iFi iDSD Micro Black Label and the Sony WM1A as my sources. They are on the warmer side, which I think is a good match with this IEM. Eartips wise, I used my favorites, the Azla Sedna shorts.

To start off my small review, I’ll go with comfort. I have tried or owned a lot of different IEMs (from Sony, QDC, VisionEars, Campfire Audio, FiR Audio, Empire Ears, Shure, etc.) and I think the Tia Trio is amongst the best out there. The Apex technology with 64audio IEMs is amazing and I don’t have any pressure buildup whatsoever, which is an issue I have with almost every other brand. As far as size goes, it is on the bigger side, so it might be an issue if your ears are smaller than average. Fortunately, the nozzle is long enough, so it should help with deep insertion and stuff like that.

As far as packaging goes, the presentation is not exceptional by any mean, but it’s alright. There’s a protective case that you can use to protect / store the IEMs, a couple eartips and the stock cable. Speaking of cable, it’s one of the worst out there. It does not feel really good and I would strongly recommend to buy an aftermarket one (a cheap YinYoo one is good enough) if you plan on keeping the Tia Trio for a long period. I personally use the Dunu DUW02 and it’s nice to be able to swap the connector at will !

Anyway, it’s time to talk a little about the sound. Starting with the low frequencies, I’d say it’s one of the highlights. It has typical DD texture and the level itself is fairly boosted, which makes it enjoyable for genres like hip hop, EDM and things like that. Sub bass is well represented (nice extension), but I feel like mid bass should be a little bit more pronounced, especially for a v-shaped IEM.

Continuing with the mid frequencies, I’d say it’s definitely the weak part of this IEM. They sound really far back, which make the Tia Trio hard to enjoy overall with the vast majority of genres I listen to (rock and metal mostly). The amount of detail is fairly good, but I can’t say it’s exceptional, especially for the price. It’s not ideal for someone that wants to hear every detail in their music (look at the KSE1200, Anole VX or U12t if that’s what you want !).

Treble wise, the Tia Trio reaches a level that makes me a bit uncomfortable. Some peaks in the upper frequencies might be the reason for that, but I am not too sure on where exactly in the frequency graph. All in all, it makes for a very intense experience. If you tend to listen to music at high volumes, get ready! I have not tried to EQ this IEM, but it could be an option if you’re sensitive to that region like I am.

Finally, I would say that soundstage and imaging are quite impressive. I get the feeling that music surrounds me (3D sound) and isn’t “direct”. Imaging is also good, in both depth and width.

In conclusion, would I recommend the 64audio Tia Trio for the price? I’m not too sure. It does not pair really well with my genres (rock and metal) and I prefer the U12t by a decent margin, but I would still give it a try. With the current 30% off sale, it sits at a more reasonable price. In the same price range, I would also consider the Campfire Audio Solaris, which is more balanced and full sounding to me. You don’t quite get the same bass presence (the Solaris is a bit more tame in that region), but you get more detail and a more realistic presentation (instruments and male vocals) overall.

Anyway, that about wraps up my small review, hope you enjoyed the read and feel free to ask questions below if you have any :slight_smile: !

10 Likes

I had issues with my CIEM’s as well, but online they have a tool where you can select what’s wrong and then send it back for adjustment. It did that without any hassel and they came back and fits a lot better.

1 Like

That’s great to hear. Things are pretty shut down at the moment, so I will get this sorted out when we are all back in normal times.

There’s a new iem out from 74 Audio. It’s called the NIO

https://www.64audio.com/nio-universal-in-ear-monitors.

Its a hybrid 9 driver Universal Iem.

It looks interesting.

Information taken from 64 Audio website.

Nio

$1,699.00

Our first high driver-count hybrid, Nio is a universal-fit earphone featuring a 9mm dynamic driver and a striking blue-abalone faceplate. With a sound signature characterized by extended lows and a rich 3-dimensional soundstage, Nio’s smooth treble and natural warmth will provide hours of enjoyable listening for all genres of music.

Add the Premium Silver Cable to your cart along with the Nio and save $499 for a limited time.

Estimated build time: 1 to 2 days

Ships in: 1 to 2 days

TECHNOLOGY

Exclusive technologies that challenge traditional in-ear monitor designs to give you the absolute best listening experience

Learn more about all of our technologies >

Nio features the following unique technology:

A tubeless design that reduces resonance for a transparent and lifelike sound signature.

LEARN MORE

Only from 64 Audio, apex alleviates listener fatigue by releasing air pressure sealed in the ear canal. This venting enables musicians and music enthusiasts to listen more comfortably for longer.

LEARN MORE

Enables a consistent, reliable sound regardless of audio source.

LEARN MORE

SPECIFICATIONS

Driver Type/Count Eight precision balanced armature drivers and one dynamASic driver
Driver Configuration 1 tia high, 1 high-mid, 6 mid, 1 dynamic low
Frequency Response 10Hz – 20kHz
Sensitivity 105db dB/mW
Impedance @1kHz
Crossover Integrated 4-way passive crossover
Isolation -10db w/ mX module, -15dB w/ m15 module, -20dB w/ m20 module
6 Likes

Early measurements I’ve seen look awesome. Looking forward to getting one in for testing.

3 Likes

Looking forward to your impressions. They may have a bit too much bottom end for me but I shall have to wait and see. Some Redditors passed comment on it not being dissimilar to the N8. Interesting.

2 Likes

Measures similarily to the U12t actually :wink: But since it’s a DD driver for bass, it’ll most likely be more pronounced.

2 Likes

Looks like it’s a universal-fit version of the existing N8 CIEM - has the same specs and configuration, at least, other than the shell.

Maybe they can reverse their process and yield CIEM versions of the tia Trió and Forté …

1 Like