About the Purchase Advice category

Hi all! I can’t make a new thread in this subforum, so I’ll join the mega thread fun. I’ve pretty much said it all in my post in the welcome thread, so I’ll just quote that here. But the tl;dr is:

• looking for IEMs for wireless Bluetooth configuration
  • total budget well under $1k, seeking used items only.
  • love jazz music especially, so while I’m seeking a versatile set, the best dynamics and soundstage for jazz music under $500 used is the sweet spot. Dunu SA6’s seem to me the most likely candidate — thoughts?
  • once again, versatility is the goal here, as I will be using them for a lot of academic work in my home office, but also during short commutes and flights, light exercise (walking/hiking and whatever else I can gently swing), cooking and hanging around the house, and for serious listening in quietude until I subsequently acquire wired cans.

For that reason I plan to pair with a Bluetooth adaptor set like the Fiio UTWS5’s to use with hifi and midfi sources on iPhone. Given this intention, I list the SA6’s as my primary candidate, as even buying used the Thieaudio Monarch’s or Clairvoyance’s together with UTWS5 adaptors would likely present too much of a budget stretch.

I’ve also given thought to the Hifiman Ananda BT’s, which would preclude the need for additional amplification. While this would provide the nice benefit of ticking the wireless/Bluetooth box, together with the added bonus of a nice set of wired cans to start exploring higher-end over-ear listening, they don’t exactly match the desired use case of mobility and convenience. I’d probably be happy enough with the IEMs and then moving to wired cans and a Schiit stack when I’m ready for something new.

Thanks for reading. My welcome post is quoted below. This is an X-post to the other purchase advise megathread: puzzlingly, we seem to have two going in parallel.

2 Likes