Audeze LCD-X Open-Back Planar Headphone - Official Thread

Hi guys.
So I tried every suggestion here for 2021 LCD-X and I found that I preferred Resolve’s V2 EQ curve the most. I’m sharing my own variant for Voxengo’s free Linear EQ curve. If you try it out, let me know what you think!

3 Likes

Thanks. If that’s the raw measurement, then there’s zero ear-gain in that headphone. Due to that, I think that’s actually a compensated graph based on Audeze’s tuning. It’s still quite useful and relevant, but not to be confused with the raw graph, which should have some sort of ear gain around 3KHz. I think @Resolve, @Grover or @metal571 could confirm.

I am glad to hear Audeze is updating their measurement rig. Very cool!

1 Like

thanks for sharing this!

That looks like a compensated Graph to me, the ones that were issued to customers were done on a KU100 Neuman dummy head, at least as far as I know. I’m not sure if it was compensated for the wonky FR of the KU100, but the graphs that came out of it generally seemed readable and broadly usable, though highly smoothed. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Thank you sir - much appreciated!

It’s their QC Neumann KU100, which does not comply to any standards of being a measurement system. It’s a binaural microphone, and I have no idea what the compensation is, so not terribly useful.

4 Likes

Does anyone use Audeze’s Reveal+ or just their own preferred eq curve? Thanks

I use it.

As well as the equivalent Audeze presets in Roon.

If you just want the basic “EQ” aspects of what it does, and not the custom HRTF capability etc, then you can use the free “legacy” version.

It’s easier to use and more precise than manually EQ’ing some of the models. If going for overall technical performance, I found Reveal+ got the LCD-4 closer to perfect than I could with basic parametric EQ.

Thansk Torq

Unfortunately, Reveal / Reveal+ still havent been updated for the 2021 LCD-X - that’s what I’m waiting for.

Thanks

2 Likes

Got a 2021 LCD-X in the other day. Here’s where I’m at with EQ…

With ^this EQ^ they are the best sounding headphones I own :scream_cat:… It sounds like a Sundara all grown up!

6 Likes

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

10 Likes

Hello,

Looking for recommendations for headphone amps,
Tight on cash, something easy on the pocket. For an lcd x currently connected to rme babyface pro. Thanks

If you are ‘tight on cash’ and assuming you only want brand new, you cannot go wrong with a JDS Labs Atom $99 (or stack with DAC $208). To me this is the best DAC/AMP value and quality in head-fi. Or if you want a lot better aesthetics (and THE knob) and slightly better power delivery get the JDS Labs Element II, which I have. Other great options of course are the Schiit Magni $99 (Modi stack $198).

5 Likes

Thanks a ton. I don’t mind getting a used one as well. The jds atom seems like a perfect fit.

3 Likes

I’m using a babyface pro as well. The headphone output indeed does not have anywhere near the juice to run the LCD-X or anything else either really.

I chose the Neve RNHP. That might be out of budget, but one thing I can strongly recommend is that you get something that connects via XLR. The XLR outputs are the best outputs on the babyface pro that you have.

Inexpensive amps that I know of that have XLR in are the schiit audio magnius which is a fully balanced amp and works best when using a balanced cable with the headphone. The geshelli labs Erish is another affordable amp with xlr inputs. These amplifiers aren’t painstakingly designed for audio engineering in mind, and that is likely what you are doing with the RME. Just keep in mind that the dynamics or some other aspect of the sound may not be extremely the most accurate possible. I do know that the headphone out on the babyface is 100% unusable because I tried it. So anything you choose with some juice will be an upgrade.

1 Like

Hey, that’s true. The Babyface doesn’t do a great job on the head phone outs. The amps for geshelli looks interesting, they have by far the best SNR that I’ve seen.
Hopefully they ship to where I live. The XLR outs from the amp are going into the babyface monitor outs? Do you use studio monitors as well?

Audeze LCD-X Review

Written by Chrono

Introduction

The LCD-X, which is available at $1199 as part of a “Creator Package” or $1699 in its “Premium” bundle, is a full-size, LCD-series, planar-magnetic headphone from Audeze that was designed for professional, mastering engineer use and for high-end listening.

Originally, this was a headphone that I meant to review a few months ago. However, as rumors started going around that there would be significant pad revisions and other changes to the LCD-X and other Audeze headphones, I decided to hold off on covering the LCD-X until I was able to get my hands on one of the newer models.

In this article I’ll primarily be sharing my personal listening experience with the 2021 LCD-X, which is identifiable by its serial number being greater than 7527600. If you would like to learn more specifically about the changes made by Audeze in the 2021 LCD-series, I highly encourage you to check out Resolve’s Video on The Headphone Show comparing the current LCD-X, and LCD-XC to prior versions.

Sources and Music Used in Listening Tests

The Amplifier/DACs used in this review were the SPL Phonitor XE (with built-in DAC), Grace Design SDAC + A90, and the JDS Labs Element II connected via USB to my desktop computer. For the listening tests I used music from a wide variety of genres including Rock, Jazz, Classical, Acoustic, Hip-Hop, and latin. I played tracks from my own FLAC library as well as from Qobuz streaming service played via Roon (exclusive mode).

Accessories

Accessories included with the LCD-X will vary depending on which bundle you opt for. With the $1199 creator’s package, you’ll be receiving a 1.9m ¼” to dual 4-pin mini-XLR connector cable, as well as an “economy” travel case. On the other hand, if you go with the premium bundle, you’ll get the same cable mentioned earlier, but you’ll also receive a 4-pin, balanced version of the same cable alongside a ¼” to 3.5mm adapter, and a more robust, professional travel case.

Regardless of which package you choose, I think that they each include a very good selection of accessories that will give you just about all you need to get going and to keep your headphones safe. Additionally, I have to mention that the included stock cables from Audeze are the best I’ve seen on any headphone; they feel premium, are tangle-free, are of comfortable length, and are non-microphonic–you won’t be having to replace these any time soon.

Build & Comfort

As we’ve come to expect from LCD-series headphones, the build on the LCD-X is simply top-notch. The LCD-X is composed almost entirely out of metal, which gives it a dense, solid, sturdy feel that—when paired with its precise craftsmanship—really sets the standard for how high-end headphones should look and feel. It’s worth pointing out that, unlike other LCD-series headphones, it’s not using wooden rings; though I really do like the look of the black metal rings used instead, as they give the LCD-X a more professional, industrial look when compared with some of its peers—undoubtedly something you’ll appreciate if you like clean, matte-black aesthetics.

Comfort hasn’t always been a forté of Audeze’s full-size headphones, but I personally haven’t had any issues when wearing the LCD-X. At 612g, they’re still a very heavy headphone, and that will definitely be an issue for some users. However, in my experience I found that the suspension headband (which was introduced by Audeze back in 2018), and the new, better-compressing pads did a good job at evenly distributing the weight and keeping the headphones stable when wearing. Overall, I’d rate them as being very comfortable to wear, with only the individual user’s weight tolerance being the challenge they must overcome.

Sound

For its driver configuration, the LCD-X is still utilizing Audeze’s Ultra-thin Uniforce diaphragm alongside its usual 106mm planar-magnetic transducer. Now, one thing that has changed, however, is that whilst it still uses Audeze’s Fazor technology, it seems as though the arrangement of the Fazor waveguides has been updated. How or if this actually affects the LCD-X’s acoustic performance, I can’t say, though it is something worth noting.

First Impressions

Just like the pre-update version I heard not too long ago, the LCD-X immediately enamoured me with its technical capabilities; It’s snappy, controlled, resolving, and even punchy. However what really impressed me this time around, was that its tonality was good, in fact, it was great! It’s still a touch warm, but gone was the shroud that veiled the mids on the LCD-X I tried a few months ago with this new edition instead presenting a more vivid, and realistic tonal balance.

Bass

The bass response on the LCD-X is excellent. For extension it delivers great performance, as it easily reaches down to 20hz with no roll-off to be heard. It’s adept at surfacing the rumble from the lowest of bass tones, and for me it just gives the bass region a depth that not even ultra high-end dynamic driver headphones I’ve tried–like the Focal Utopia–can reproduce. Now, this isn’t really a surprise as it’s a common trait amongst most planar-magnetic headphones, but the bass is really tight, and precise on the LCD-X. Needless to say, then, the LCD-X is truly outstanding when it comes to reproducing the nuance and texture of low tones.

The only comment I have, really, is that under 100hz, the LCD-X doesn’t have much of a bass shelf. If you are a fan of warmer low-ends, or just want your subbass to have that bit more presence, then you might be left wanting when listening to the LCD-X. That being said, though, this will not be an issue if you are ok with using EQ to add a bass shelf, or if your DAC/AMP have a bass boost toggle.

Mids

The midrange is undoubtedly where this LCD-X deviates the most from my previous experiences with not just older revisions of the LCD-X, but just other full-size LCD-series headphones in general. Whilst prior headphones from this range I’ve tried have had unusually dark midranges, and more specifically low, upper-midrange harmonic presence, that is not the case with this revised LCD-X.

It’s still not perfect, as there is a mild recession at around 4Khz that softens up or slightly takes some of the bit away from things like vocals or electric guitars, but it is by far the most organic and authentic-sounding midrange I’ve heard in a full-size LCD-series headphone. Even when compared to other headphones around this price range, like the Focal Clear, or HD800S, the LCD-X now holds its own with its stock tuning for the mids; it really is very good, and I’m happy to see the change.

Highs

This version of the LCD-X has what is probably one of my favorite treble responses. It leans, perhaps, ever-so-slightly in the warmer side for treble ranges, but it doesn’t sacrifice any of the intricate overtones that I expect to hear, whilst delivering a really smooth response that is never fatiguing. Additionally, it has exceptional upper treble extension, with very good air qualities above 10Khz that lend vocals a natural glisten, and cymbals an accurate splash and sizzle.

Resolution

For detail retrieval, the LCD-X delivers top-tier performance. Throughout the entire frequency range, it conveys a well-textured, stable image of the music. This was always the case with the LCD-X, but the tuning on previous versions really didn’t let this resolving quality shine, since it masked the headphone’s capabilities. Now that it has a much more balanced stock tuning, though, it really shows just how well this headphone performs when it comes to presenting all the tonal intricacies in music–matching the internal resolution of headphones like the HD800S and Arya whilst getting dangerously close to something like my Vérité Closed at a much lower price.

Soundstage, Imaging, and Layering

Whilst it’s not the most impressive I’ve heard (it’s not really on the same plane as the HD800S or Arya, in this regard), the LCD-X does have a very good and spacious soundstage presentation. Its soundstage width it’s about on par with the DT1990 Pro, and it does convey a good sense of distance. For Imaging I’m not usually a fan of the way planar-magnetic headphones image, but I actually found the LCD-X to be quite precise in it’s left-right localization as it gave no problems discerning the directionality of sound when, for example, playing FPS games online. Then, as for its layering, it performs really well, with all vocal and instrument lines being distinct from each other and allowing you “peer” into the music.

Dynamics

Dynamics is where, again, the LCD-X (and most full-size LCD-series headphones I’ve tried, really) performs quite a bit differently from other planar-magnetic headphones I’ve listened to because it actually delivers a good sense of punch and slam. Low tones are accompanied by a satisfying impact, whilst the upper register reproduces the tactility of things like the pluck of acoustic guitar strings or the strike of a snare drum.

EQ

As I’ve mentioned previously and in other reviews I’ve written, my best experiences with Audeze headphones have usually been after using some EQ. However, I don’t really feel like that’s necessary with this revised LCD-X because it’s tuning out-of-the-box is very good. That being said, though, I am an EQ enthusiast, and I always like to add some EQ just to bring the headphones a little bit closer to my preference. If you’d like to try out my preset, these are the settings I used:

Low Shelf at 80hz, +3dB Q of 0.7

Peak at 4000hz, +2dB Q of 1.41

Conclusion

Well, at this point it’s probably no surprise, but I’m sincerely impressed with what Audeze has done with the LCD-X. For those of us who didn’t shy away from EQ, the LCD-X was already a very good headphone since it offered exceptional technical performance at a much lower price than its competitors. With this revision, though, Audeze has really taken the LCD-X to the next level with what I think is one of the most enjoyable, and comfortable stock tunings in a high-end headphone.

If the weight is something you don’t mind, then I highly encourage you to check out the LCD-X. At the price of $1199 for the creator’s package, it’s an unbelievable and nearly unparalleled value in the high-end personal audio market. Audeze really nailed it with this update to the LCD-X, and I look forward to listening to similar benefits on their other full-size LCD headphones.

13 Likes

I use the XLR outs on the Babyface into the headphone amplifier’s balanced inputs XLR inputs. I use Mogami cable with Neutrik connectors throughout my studio and love it. The XLR outputs on the Babyface are fantastic.
Have a look at the specs:
Output level @ 0 dBFS: Balanced +19 dBu
DC @ 0 dBFS: XLR bal. 9.6 V
THD: - 106 dB, 0.0005 % • THD+N: -102 dB, 0.0008 %

The outputs have some juice. Make sure that you gain stage so that you get out of your volume potentiometer’s non linear region at the low end of the adjustment range at your common listening levels. I just learned that trick.

The LCD-X is my main monitoring/reference. I’m fully mobile and use them as a consistent reference no matter where I am. I used to work on lower end monitors+sub in untreated rooms. I decided to go the headphone route for its many benefits and I felt like the X was most likely more capable than whatever monitoring system that I could put together for the same money. I do feel like they are truly a replacement for a monitoring system. Everything I do on them translates and I can hear really far into everything and successfully complete advanced and complicated techniques that require hearing a lot of detail and accuracy. A lot of professionals say that you shouldn’t work with headphones because it will affect how you build your stereo imaging. They may need to face the fact that headphones are far more prevalent than HIFI at this point and it may be perfectly fine to cater to headphone presentation a little bit. One example is that the lack of crossfeed will have you panning narrower to liven up the bleed from hard panned channels. On speakers doing this would narrow the image a bit. I personally do not see anything wrong with mixing that way. If I were recording jazz or classical, it would be a concern that I find more pressing.

I will definitely get some monitors with stereo subs in a treated room in the future, but don’t feel limited at all for working this way right now.

I have a massive, unwieldy HI-FI setup with Magnepans and an 18 inch sub in a closed carefully spec’ed and damped box for listening, but it is never in a room with acoustic treatment and it’s not completely reference grade, just for enjoyment. The subwoofer is kinda reference grade and I can use that to get a good idea of what the low end FEELS like in the tactile out loud, full body sense while hearing how it cuts through the air. That subwoofer is mono. It’s a 2.1 system and the LCD-X has fantastically accurate bass all the way down all the way across the stereo image.

The Geshelli Labs and Schiit amps both have great specs. They are affordable balanced amps, but require a balanced headphone cable. They are not known to be or advertised as reference grade. I don’t know what doing audio work on them will be like precisely. A lot of the low distortion numbers are really irrelevant to how good something sounds or how accurate it is, especially dynamics and the juice behind the dynamics. The audiophile community seems to like those amps for their price for listening.

I do know that the headphone outputs on the Babyface are something that you absolutely can’t run the X on. It’s something like 50mw, and it needs around 250-300 to run the X right. Do what you have to do to get away from the built amp ASAP, just keep a reference grade amplifier in mind for the future. Either one of those amps will be a way to at least get the power that you need via the best outputs on your interface.

2 Likes

Anyone have an issue with adjusting the headband yokes on the LCD-X 2021? The left side of mine won’t move, and I don’t want to push too hard in fear of breaking it.

I recently heard that the side where the band adjust has a screw, the idea behind for that screw is so people can keep the band fixed on one position, maybe the screw is a little tight.