Cables - 3rd Party/Upgrades & Recommendations

@raindownthunda, this is just my opinion, but when you’re talking about cables that short, I don’t think it really matters. I have bought the more expensive matching pigtail adapters for my main cable, but only because I wanted it to look nice.

When I needed an XLR to 6.3mm adapter and didn’t care about the aesthetics, I was happy to spend $25 at Amazon and I didn’t notice any change in the sound at all:

2 Likes

Also on Amazon, I just got one of these.

This seems very well built but likely not as flexible as the DIY

3 Likes

Hi all,

Does anyone in the Seattle area have the willingness and expertise to do some cable work for me?

I have a Forza Audioworks cable that is for Focal (3.5mm) and I’d like to convert it to Dan Clark Audio (I even have a DCA cable I can donate for the connectors). Could donate some alcohol for the effort and you could keep the unneeded parts for future projects?

PM me if you have ideas. :slight_smile:

Thanks.

I don’t live in the Seattle area or have any expertise. :slightly_frowning_face:

But I do have an idea!

When I bought my cables from Arctic, I asked them to figure out how I could use the same cables for both my Focal (3.5mm) and ZMF (mini XLR) headphones. They terminated the main cable with 3.5mm and also supplied me with a couple of ultra-short 3.5mm to mini XLR adapter cables. In case anyone is interested, I asked why they didn’t use mini XLR as the “universal connector” and use adapters for the Focals, and they said both connectors worked equally well for both single ended and balanced usage and they happened to prefer the 3.5mm.

Anyway, I know this would cost more than some alcohol (I’m guessing around $80-100, depending on who you use and what cable & connectors you order), but wanted to ask if you’d thought about getting some 3.5mm to DCA connectors made.

4 Likes

Great idea @PaisleyUnderground, I thought about it and would do it if it would be less than just ordering a cable. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I actually have the 3.5mm TRRS to 6.35 version of this exact cable. On Amazon, the listing specified that the 3.5mm connector was a TRS connector, but I was sent the TRRS version for some reason. Thankfully, the company that makes these cables refunded me super quick, and also allowed me to keep the TRRS adapter cable. I’d definitely purchase from these guys again if need be; the adapter is very well made.

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendations! So I ended up buying both of the 4-pin XLR -> 1/4" TRS cables above as they are roughly the same price and wasn’t sure which one I’d like better. The build quality of the Youkamoo feels WAY more rugged. The the cable is much thicker and sturdier (also much less flexible) than the DIY brand. XLR and TRS connectors seem to be pretty similar with the biggest difference being a very thick heatshrink wrap on the Youkamoo 1/4" end vs a metal “spring” sleeve (not sure if there is a proper name for this) on the DIY bran cable. I should be able to compare the sound later today when the cable arrives, but I’ll most likely be returning the DIY version as it seems less durable.

5 Likes

I used mine for the first time today and it works great. Snug fit, sounds fine to me. No in and out again signal if you move it around.

2 Likes

Anybody have experience with the lower-end zmf custom cables (lektrik series)? I’m wondering how it compares to other cable manufacturers such as arctic and others…looking for a nice cable for my clears. From what I’ve seen, the zmf ones look better imo but not sure how they feel in hand. Also, is there any clear difference between 2-strand vs 4-strand? I’m assuming 4-strand is better for ergonomics, but correct me if I’m wrong.

That’s the 1/4 version of the one I’d mentioned I purchased off of Amazon. It is a little stiff, but it’s been a fantastic adapter cable so far. I think you’ll like it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hoping I can receive some cable guidance. I have recently purchased the Hifiman HE6se on the $699 Adorama special. I am looking for suggestions for a cable maker that can make me a cable that will allow me to run them off of one of my two channel amps - ie a banana plugs termination. I reached out to Periapt and they can’t/won’t make them. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Not what you asked for but I think these will work until you get a custom cable made:

2 Likes

What a great work around! Maybe not the greatest quality but cheap and fast. Many thanks!!

Try Arctic Cables for a longer term solution. I don’t see banana plugs on their drop down, but in their customer review page, one of their customers talks about getting custom-made cables for their HE6se.

They generally take a few weeks to make custom cables so you may want a fast/cheap solution even if you order from them.

I’m very happy with the cables they made for me, and they always had a solution for every problem I threw at them.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ve just reached out to them.

2 Likes

James at Hart Audio will make most cable con figs…

1 Like

Anyone know of a small business that makes reasonably priced “audiophile” USB cables in the USA? Kind of like worlds best cables but USB (type A to type B). My focus is on durability, reliability, and flexibility, less so on claims of sound improvement. A lot of the generic stuff on Amazon is absolute garbage on these fronts.

3 Likes

I’ve not had Schiit Audio’s PYST USB cable but the RCA one is great.

2 Likes
4 Likes

I have a Schiit Pyst USB. I did replace it with a more expensive cable, but I have no complaints about the Pyst. It is very well made, and a bargain at $20.

1 Like