Cayin

Cayin, the public/Hi-Fi face of Zhuhai Spark Electronic Equipment Co., Ltd, is probably best known among personal audio enthusiasts for their “i-Series” DACs and headphone amplifiers and their “N-series” digital audio players (DAPs); though they actually produce everything from CD players, tube-power amplifiers and speakers as well.

Their history in personal audio begins around 2013, but the company, and its audio products, dates back to 1993, and covers both the solid-state and tube-worlds. Something they’ve carried forward even into their portable gear.

This is the spot to discuss the Cayin brand …

4 Likes

I must say that since we got it in the Cayin HA-1A MK2 has not left my desk (it did for a couple of hours but found it’s way back very fast). It’s just an absolutely gorgeous unit to look at and I have been having fun with it even just running the Macbook Pro —> iFi Audio Micro iDSD Black Label —> Cayin HA-1A MK2 —> to whatever headphones I am feeling that day. I’ve run the set-up with the Focal line-up (Utopia, Elear, Stellia, Clear), D8000, Sundara, and more. My favourite combo by far with the tube amp is with the D8000. It’s ridiculously smooth with a touch of added warmth which I am really enjoying.

5 Likes

It really is a great looking unit … especially if you like warm woods and tube-glow. I’m not sure there is an amp out there, short of the flagship stuff, that exhibits as much obvious tube-glow as this thing.

It’s something I could almost have around for aesthetics alone …

On top of which, the brief time I got to listen to @DarthPool’s, it had a very clear presentation and a sweetness to its tone that was quite beguiling. That it was making my least favorite brand of headphone sound enjoyable was icing on the cake!

5 Likes

…and the Dharmas to boot ! ( I’m already bias positive as to the brand Cayin ( own a Tri-Stack ) by them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s a beautiful piece of gear.

I had owned the Cayin N3 at one point. It was a nice entry level DAP that just flat out worked well despite being relatively simple.

1 Like

Cayin seems underrated to me. I’m loving their IHA-6 Solid State amp. Still on the lookout for a decent DAC to pair it with. The single ended outputs are garbage and make no sense, but the balanced output is superb, rivaling amps that cost twice as much.

4 Likes

This HP amp is very handsome, eye-grabbing, with great sound. I heard it several times at CanJams & liked it a lot.

My only quibble w/it is bass. On headphones I was pretty familiar with, such as the Empyrean & Eikon, there clearly was less sub-bass, and overall bass level/impact was somewhat lower than other amps.

If not for that, I might be all over this.

3 Likes

If it didn’t weigh a ton, and I didn’t have spikes on it, I would take it to more places for people to hear. I really enjoy it! Also it is extremely aesthetically pleasing.

In my current setup: Headphones Battlestations

I put together a custom Purple Heart wood shelf that the Cayin, BHC, and Record player are sitting on.

6 Likes

I’ve the whole Cayin iDAC-6, Cayin iHA-6, Cayin iDAP-6 stack and couldn’t be happier… there’s now an updated newer DAC out apparently…

3 Likes

That sounds exciting! I’ll have to look into it.

1 Like