Chord Hugo 2 DAC/AMP - Official Thread

You’ve got the right idea in holding the X-PHD button down while it powers up. I’d say the trick, if you can call it that, is making sure it’s held down before you hit the power button and keeping it held down while the unit boots up. It has that sequence where it cycles through the colors, and you’ll hear a small click when it’s actually booted - takes maybe 10 seconds. Then let go of the X-PHD button. You’ll notice the volume wheel is a faint purple color. That’s line level. It’s also worth noting that Chord tends to make its line level “hotter” than most manufacturers. Chord sends signal out at 3v RMS, while most manufacturers are at something like 2v RMS. As far as I know, there isn’t really any harm or loss in rolling it back a little bit to something like dark blue (as silly as that sounds), and then just let your external amp do the rest.

5 Likes

Great info - thanks so much, Andris!!!

1 Like

My pleasure! Also, I realize I forgot to clarify that it all has to be done on the unit. Holding the button on the remote doesn’t work (I don’t think).

1 Like

Ah! That’s another good clue, and that makes sense. Thank you once again!

1 Like

I am in the market for a small network streamer to partner with my Hugo 2**. This will be solely for late night listening with headphones, and the streamer will not be connected to my hifi.

I am intrigued by this Pro-ject streamer - Stream Box S2 Ultra – Pro-Ject Audio Systems - but I’m unsure whether I can connect it to the Hugo 2. Would I be able to use a USB cable from the Pro-ject streamer to the micro USB input of the Hugo 2(see Technical specifications in the link I’ve supplied), or is it actually a USB A to USB B cable that is required here, which would make it a no goer as the Hugo 2 does not have that type of input?

Any help gratefully appreciated.Thanks.

**The obvious answer is of course to buy the Chord 2Go. Long story short - Been there and did that last year, eventually sold it due to far too many problems.

I was wondering if anyone has compared the Hugo 2 to the Woo Audio WA8?

I have.

They’re very different units.

The Woo WA8 is distinctly tube-like in its presentation, and a very lovely listen, at least when used as an amplifier. I am a lot less enamored with its built-in DAC - to the point where I decided to pass on it entirely.

The Hugo 2 is a more technical, much more accurate, affair, with additional functionality (crossfeed, bluetooth, selectable filters), though there’s no analog input of course. I prefer the sound of Hugo 2, overall (more down to not really liking the DAC in the Woo).

Power output and runtime is similar for both to them.

Hugo 2 is 1/3rd the weight and half the size of the WA8.

They actually make a very nice pairing … but now you’re into a desktop-sized setup … so they’re transportable at best in that scenario.

1 Like

Thank you Torq. I was thinking about 3/4 desk top time and 1/4 transport. I, personally, was enamored with the looks of the WA8 and its tubes, however the Chord is not a wall flower. I wish something about the size of these two could be connected to an amp or receiver proper.
Thank you again.

1 Like

You can connect the OUTPUT of the Hugo 2 to an external amp or receiver, and use it as a DAC or DAC/pre-amp. In fact it is specifically designed to be used this way, in addition to being a self-contained DAC/amp. But it has no analog inputs.

The WA8 can be fed from an external source, via its line-in. Technically you could use a converter from the headphone output and feed an external amp or receiver, but I personally wouldn’t.

2 Likes

My mistake I didn’t see the rca’s. Once again thanks.

1 Like

I happen to own both the Stream Box S2 Ultra and the Hugo 2.
No problem you can connect from the S2 Ultra’s USB B to Hugo micro USB. I am currently using ifi iUSB3.0 in between to clean the signal even further

Hi,
Anyone know what charger the Hugo uses? I think I’ve misplaced the one it came with, so would need to get another. I’m based in the UK.

You should be able to get any micro-usb charger that fits these specs from the manual:

I’m guessing you can probably go to UK amazon and search for “5v 2 amp micro usb charger” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I’ll have a quick look for one.

For reference:

(and also so I can find it later, when I forget which green means what)

1 Like

Opinion: noun

• a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
  • a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

Prefer: verb

• to set or hold before or above other persons or things in estimation; like better; choose rather than

Knowing yourself:

• In The Art of War, the maxim 知彼知己,百战不殆 means “know others and know thyself, and you will not be endangered by innumerable battles”. (1)

In the beginning of an audio upgrade journey, there is great hope. You have a little money to spend, and like and modern, civilized individual, you turn to the internet to maximize the value you receive for those dollars. It worked when you shopped for your TV, it worked when you compared hotels, and it usually works when you are looking for a new restaurant. So, you read a few reviews, watch a video, buy a piece of gear, and then…

1. Love it, and leave, never looking back into the mess of humanity that comprises the audiophile hobby.
  2. Think it’s ok, and begin to read reviews about other pieces, leave comments for internet people asking what they think of what you have already bought, or begin insulting everyone who chose differently, knowing inherently your method for deciding what to buy is superior to all others. Excessive time spent in zone # 2 can sometimes lead to #3
  3. Hate what you hear. It’s different than what you are used to or has a characteristic you cannot stand. It’s too bright, too dark, too lean, too mushy, too heavy, too whatever. It isn’t what you thought you were getting. Now you have to try again, but this time, you aren’t sure who to trust.

Are you now, or have you ever been in the third zone? Congratulants, you have a preference. You may possibly even have an opinion. (We won’t deal with the ones who think they have objective truth, that response goes beyond the scope I am willing to engage in here.)

I have preferences. Sometimes, they make it hard for me to review audio gear. Sometimes, they make it easy.

The Chord Hugo2 is not easy.

About the size of two packs of cards next to each other, the Hugo2 is controlled by plastic glowballs, and lights up like an overcompensating gamer’s pc. Although it proports to be portable, it’s probably better to think of it as “transportable”. It is a piece you can transport to your back deck to listen in the sunshine. It is not probably something to stuff in a coat to listen to on a bus or walking the dog. You can. I did. I’m huge. It was fine. Regardless, there are much more portable options, some of which do not require a $1400 attachment to read a sd card.

The user interface is not quirky. It is not an industrial design language that is going to transform the world of boring boxes. It’s irritating. Few will enjoy having to have a key to understand the color codes that indicate mode, input, frequency and filter choice. No one should have memorized obscure key press combinations (and the targeted resultant color combo) to access basic functions, such as “fixed level output”.

The cord management seems to want the user to place the power and signal coming in from the left as you look at the unit, and then the volume works up and down, and then the signal flows out the right side. Unless the signal in is via coax or optical. Additionally, you need a coax to 3.5 mm jack cable to use that input. I honestly don’t know how you’re supposed to use the thing. It chafes the sensibilities no matter how it is set up. There is no canonical “this side up”. The control freak “type a” personalities will probably more than chafe.

It uses usb micro jacks for power and usb signal. Which are the worst jacks ever. Terrible. The hugo2 does have 2 single ended headphone outputs and does have RCA out. Again, ostensibly for portable use, the desktop mode is a bit of an afterthought, though for me, that is how I use it almost exclusively.

The instruction pamphlet is written in Lego Assembly Language. It apparently does lots of interesting stuff. Bluetooth, dual coax, dsd; apparently. I got it to do what I want it to, and then quit trying.

So why bother with this mish mash of whimsy, failed design ideas and (un)documentation? Because it sounds freaking marvelous. Detailed without causing ear cramps, limitless extension to both ends of the audible spectrum, all the basic boxes checked, while also keeping rhythm and drive intact. Authoritative like a reference, but somehow, nice about it. At least in my current system, some of the worst recording sessions are still, listenable. They aren’t, uhhh, good. But you can choose to listen to the performance rather than the technicalities. The Hugo2.will show you everything you want to look for, but only if you go off hunting. It doesn’t highlight or call out.

Listening to Gordan Gano talk sing the iconic first line of “The Children of the Revolution” the sibilance of his raw presentation is audible, but not abrasive. The snares vibrating on the bottom head of the drum are loose, and sloppy, and the Hugo makes them no more, no less. The distortion of the guitar opening The Pixies “Caribou” is raw, sharp, and grating, but it’s supposed to be! What it isn’t, is over emphasized or allowed to ruin the vocals flirting from ragged throat screeches to ethereal open vowels.

Coltrane’s “Alabama” on “Live at Birdland” is a statement. The Hugo2 lets the piano drone be a dirge, a foundation. The softest air flowing over the reed won’t even make it vibrate, yet you’ll still hear it flowing. The bass drum is a live capture, and it’s boomy, and the Hugo2 will not lie to you about it.

You could be forgiven for wishing the Hugo2 sounded the way it feels to use it. It would be easy to move on, buying equipment that uses regular buttons, that has a front, and perhaps even a back.

But instead, the Hugo2 outputs a sound that works. It has opinions. You might disagree with them; you might find those opinions are not your preference. To me, on this day, with these ears, with these tunes, it is, simply, worth putting up with the bs.

(1). Wikipedia

5 Likes

lol - I couldn’t agree more! Chord’s products look cool, at a distance (I think), but they’re borderline unusable. That said, I love my Hugo 2 (and Mojo and DAVE), and put up with their foibles because they sound incredible.

3 Likes