Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 - Open & Closed - Official Discussion

I will have a pair of Aeon 2 Opens here this Tuesday!

Alex

5 Likes

The Aeon 2 Closed I bought arrives Tuesday for me also.

3 Likes

Please let us know your impressions of how they sound.

1 Like

It will be very interesting to hear about your Closed version compared to loss33’s Opens.

1 Like

Will do…I had the Ananda’s here for a few days and did not like them at all…so why would I get another mid level planar?

Ha! I read lots of stuff as usual and the review that was done by someone I respect got to me and with the 15% off well…here
“I” go again!

Should be interesting…with being home all the time it will help past the time!!

Alex

4 Likes

Give them some head time and burn in before you draw conclusions and don’t A/B them for at least a week would be my recommendation!

4 Likes

Ha!..Totally understand your comments, I had the Ananda for 4 days on the loaner program and didnt want to take advantage of it, so after a few days I knew this set of headphones was not for me. The build quality and fit were less than stellar IMO and the sound although clear was just too thin and shrill to me.

And yes I really like the Clears for sure…

I have HD600s here as well and love them, totally different than the Clears, and got a pair of hd800s because I thought they would be a nice extension to the 600s got a great deal on an open box set, had them for 2 days and sent them back…too thin, not enough bass for my ear etc…

A set of Audeze LCD2’s I had for several months and I liked them alot, but heavy and a bit dark…but much better than what I was hearing with the recent planar…

So I am hoping these might be better and I will like them but I am brutally honest to myself…so we shall see.

Headed out in the wild in search of food here!!

:>)

Alex

6 Likes

I am very interested in the Aeon2 and, like you, also have the Clear, HD800S and LCD2. So any comparison to those three headphone would really help a lot. Thanks in advance Alex for your comments…Lee

4 Likes

Lee…will do…

5 Likes

I am listening to my pair right now, and I can make a comparison too, after my Aeon2C arrives and is broken in.

4 Likes

Wondering has anyone tried using the Antlion Audio 3.5mm ModMic Uni with their Aeon2?

1 Like

Thank you Andrew…Lee

3 Likes

What is your initial thoughts on them?

The Aeon2 Opens have arrived intact and I am listening with them…Trying them on a bunch of amps…will get back with some analysis later today or tomorrow…

Alex

8 Likes

Great. Really looking forward to your thoughts.

1 Like

Second this!
Looking forward to your thoughts @lost33

1 Like

Its day three and I have had mixed reactions to these planars…I compare stuff to my Focal Clears which I really like for tone and accuracy…

I was underwhelmed at first with just the cans and no damping material, the bass seemed a bit flabby or bloated. Seems like these add some coloration to the sound, and seemed abit congested compared to the Clears.

The LYR 3 and Jot have gobs of power at low impedances so power is not an issue and again this is with no damping material being used.

I found the TUBA with a lot less power seemed to pair better with the Aeon2’s, even though you have to crank up the volume to 1pm --2 pm to get the amplitude up there…the overall presenatation was much better.

This is with the stock 1/4 SE cable.

I did not find the treble to be highly accentuated, if anything its not as bright as I thought it would be…reminds me of my LCD2’s kind of a dark or warm presentation…

So after a few days this am I put in the white dampers and they are the most dampening ones according to the inserts…and the instructions state 50-100 hours for burn in and I probably have 10 hours with them so far…

I have a really powerful DIY O2 derivitive that has 3X the current capacity of the original O2 that works very well with these. The best pairing to date for me…

The white dampers changed the overall sound…for me its in the right direction…it seems to balance out the overall sound…the clairity overall is better, the tone is better!! I would think this would have gone in the other direction…

They still are dark like some planars are…the bass is tight, but not a tight as the Clears IMO…

I will give these a week or so more to see how they settle in…but I expect alot for a $899 retail headphone, and I am wondering if these really get there…

They are not a bad headphone, just very different from a dynamic can like the Clears…which now seem bright to me for the first time!!!

Music like jazz, not many instruments seem to shine but more complex stuff it seems they struggle abit…a bit conjested …

It seems these need some real power to make them sing…if you crank up the volume they come into their own…

I like these better than the Anandas I had for a few days…much better build qualitt and awesome comfort…built solid…and I can wear these with glasses for hours…

So I will give them some more hours. go thru the other dampers and see how it all settles out…

Alex

9 Likes

It will be interesting to see how these compare to other headphones in the market atm.

1 Like

Thanks for your awesome write up, Looking forward to how it settles in, I almost bought this, Instead I went the Elegia way…

3 Likes

I have removed the white dampers and have the “in the middle” ones installed now and its really changed the characteristics…not too shabby now…much more balanced.

Its become “clear” (no pun intended) that these cans area capable of great sound reproduction but Dan Clark did not put those three sets of pads in the box unless they were meant to be used for something!

They really do tune the headphone to different sounds…I am really liking these black felt dampers…the bass is now much better IMO…

Amazing…

8 Likes