Decibel Danger

I got that after reading many times.:grin:

Does 40db sound right in a quiet room? There is some noise from the highway, but all doors and windows are closed.

Shane D

1 Like

Yes, 40 dB is about right there.

2 Likes

Using a Loxjie P20 set at -20 through a pair of Beyer T5p.2’s. Genesis song comes through at 68 to 75 decibels. Fluctuates wildly, but I guess that’s how it works?

Using a piece of cardboard with a hole cut through it. Jacked the amp to -00 and the DB count was mid to high 90’s.

Can I ask what you normally listen at?

Shane D

Just switched over to my Burson Fun and Grado GH2’s. The volume is set between 10 and 11 (no numbers or marks on dial).
With the same song I got pretty much the exact same readings.

Doing some research and it is said that a normal conversation is 60 to 70 decibels. My normal listening seems to run 65 to 75. I will test with more music, but it seems that I am not doing myself too much harm.:innocent:

Shane D

Put it in “Max” mode, and it should just show the highest reading it has reached since power-on. It’ll tick up a bit as you hit peaks, and then it’ll just show the same number. Most inexpensive meters either only sample a couple of times a second, or wind up doing some averaging, so very short transient peaks may not register the first time.

80-85 dB … unless I know I’ll be listening for an extended period, and then I’ll generally set it lower from the start.

Once you know your average listening level you can do some research on loudness contours and see how typical hearing response changes with level/frequency (which is why it is important when reviewing headphones to do your subjective listening at the same level each time, and another reason why two different reviewers may give very different interpretations as to the signature of a given headphone).

5 Likes

Thanks for the tip. Just played Georgia Satellites - Keep your hands to yourself. Set it to max and it kept climbing but finished at 74.8 Db’s.

Seems pretty reasonable. Especially since I can have listening sessions stretch into 3, 4 and 5 hours.

Shane D

1 Like

Reading my very small manual and it states that the foam ball is meant for outside measuring. I guess it defends against wind noise.

Shane D

1 Like

Yup… I still leave it on though…but I’m not trying for perfect readings…as long as I’m not making myself deaf :wink:…what???

3 Likes

I like to place an old CD over the earcup and take my measurement at the opening of the CD. I figure that when the headphones are on my head, they’re sealed, so I should measure the same way. My method could be complete bunk though :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use a square, cardboard CD to do my measuring.:laughing:

Shane D

1 Like

Anybody compared results between free iPhone decibel apps and their actual devices?

3 Likes

My approach was a little bit different. I used my cheap Bluetooth Beats Pill with a cranked up (and very distorted) volume. In short:

• Start approximating the decibel meter closer to the source (speakers);
  • Stop moving closer when target SPL is reached (e.g.: 85dB);
  • Now move your ears to the same place of the microphone in the meter;
  • Assess in a few seconds the listening level.

One can get an easy idea with the above. I couldn’t bear to hear at 100dB in the meter display, for instance. So I felt somewhat relieved because what I hear with headphones is much much lower.

I would use a safety factor of 10dB, which includes measuring error plus and amount of energy which is not being captured by the decibel meter (mainly the lower frequencies).

Therefore, if my desired SPL threshold is 85, then I would aim at a 75dB threshold in the meter. And then the fun may be over as well. :pensive:

If there is one to blame, blame the meter. :triumph:

2 Likes

I used a few of those SPL meter apps, not sure how accurate they are, but they were showing around 85-90dB at my desired listening level, way too loud, although it sounds SO good, but it’s definitely damaging long-term. I’ve made a concerted effort to get it under 80 but then I find it definitely doesn’t sound as good anymore… Such a dilemma but hearing health is ultimately much more important than short term enjoyment.

4 Likes

I struggle with that too, but even below 80, good experiences can be had.

3 Likes

I agree 100%. Although I find listening with speakers at quiet volumes to be more satisfying than headphones for some reason…

2 Likes

From your post in the other thread:

This is what I like the most about SRH1540. I’m not a headbanger myself but these cans have a scooped mids presentation with a lot of warm, so you can still do some clinical listening at low volumes – not that most of heavy metal has clinical features anyway. :smile:

I’ll give it a go in some of your list. Maybe I find something to my taste.

Cheers.

1 Like

Here’s a quick ‘n’ dirty methodology I use for leveling the volume of my headphones:

• 70% of Windows volume – always controlled by keyboard;
  • Launch a white noise WAV file I have and adjust the gain/volume knobs in my amps until 85 dBA is achieved.

You could use a decibel meter app for the above. After all, you just need a reference. Taking one example from your previous post:

At 2’, close to the solo part, my Windows volume was at 40% with the SRH1540. Higher than that, it not only gets uncomfortable but the Shure itself starts to distort to the point there’s a spaghetti of frequencies. Not sure if this is the song, my DAC, the Shure itself, or a combination of all three. The meter was spiking 83 dB for the micro dynamics.

Comfortable listening level was 30% for that particular song. But remember, this was to my system. Everyone’s reference is different. Same deal with HD600 (more mid forward / neutral). 30% was OK to me.

That was a very aggressive song by the way, melody wise. It’s heavy metal, right? :smile: :metal: :metal: :metal:

1 Like

Very happy to find this thread! I recently acquired a Feliks Euforia AE and seem to have developed a bit of Tinnitus after the first week of listening. I have a meter on the way and have reviewed the proper way to measure based on this thread. I just want to confirm one thing: @Torq and @TylersEclectic I saw the guidance to put the meter in one earcup where there ear canal would be but I want to confirm if it’s necessary to seal off the rest of the cup opening as it would be on your head? Or is just putting the meter there enough? I saw some had done some with cardboard or other methods? Would love come clarification.

1 Like

For a rough estimate just put it in the cup … for a more accurate but still not perfect, try and seal the cup… I’m sure there are better methods, but for a quick and dirty these two work well enough…

2 Likes