DNA Stellaris - Official Thread

At first I was a bit aghast at it; but, Im another one whose grown to like the look of the silver boxes. It adds a nice slick industrial/utilitarian look to it.

4 Likes

I get wanting something other than just another boring black box, but I’m not sure powder blue would have been my answer to that dilemma. lol But again, I get that it’s his signature color and there is certainly something to be said for memorable branding.

And now that I have publicly declared how much I don’t like the color it’s almost guaranteed I will eat these words a year or two from now when I own one. lol

4 Likes

Don’t let the color fool you, it’s worth it and once you see it in person you will realize the pictures do not present it at its best.

2 Likes

It looks more like cyan or French racing blue, rather than powder blue.

It’s not for everyone.

8 Likes

I think we need one more example, just one more to make the point stick :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Petty Blue:

7 Likes

Who am I to question The King.

1 Like

Looks like the car from the movie Cars

4 Likes

Yes. That was a 1970 Plymouth Superbird and source for the Cars car. It’s one of the most extreme NASCAR models ever. It was actually sold as a rule-bending-street-car so they could race it as a “stock car,” and is now a $$$$$$$$$$$$ collectible.

3 Likes

My dad was a local racing legend in the late 60s in New England. He spent a month running the same tracks as Richard, just the early races not the features like Petty. My parents got to be friendly with the Petty’s because my oldest sister and Kyle are about the same age. My parents always spoke very highly of them, really nice people. My sister mainly remembers being stuck on an elevator with Kyle for a couple of hours because he pressed all the buttons for the different floors at the same time.

Getting back to the DNA blue, my dad raced Fords.
J_Thompson-in-car-color-L (1)

6 Likes

I cannot unsee…

dna

6 Likes

Double down and do the same with a Nautilus :joy:

4 Likes

I found an A&S amp in the wild

5 Likes

Haha, you guys. I love DNA and ampsandsound and hope to have both someday. Not meant as an insult to the quality, just having fun :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Us DNA owners don’t have thin skin, bring it on :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I wanted to give a quick tube rolling update to my DNA friends:

I got a couple of 6BQ7A tubes in (replacements for the 6N1P) from Tube World Express, and they brought my last tiny issue with the amp into focus. It’s something I thought was potentially a tube problem, but I couldn’t quite be sure if it was a tube artifact or the amp until I had something to compare it to. Basically, I found that the Stratus had just the tiniest bit of ringing around notes - almost like a bit of a higher-frequency “halo”. It’s slightly different from “bloat”, which was greatly improved with a better rectifier, but this halo remained.

The tubes I got were a Sylvania (labeled Philco) and Raytheon - both NOS 6BQ7A equivalents from the 1960’s. Halo gone. Other than that, a bit cleaner, a bit more controlled, and a bit more air. I’m not yet decided on which new tube I like more, but they are clear winners for me over the 6N1P (stock) tube. Lesson learned. America beats Russia to the moon, in Olympic 3x3 women’s basketball, freedom, and small signal tubes :wink:

The best part? They were both under $15. No, I didn’t forget a 0. One Five. That’s it. Because these tube types aren’t super popular in amps, they’re still plenty cheap. If you have a Stratus or Stellaris, do yourself a favor and pick up a couple of these. For me, it didn’t transform the amp, but definitely gave it that last little tweak that’s making me fall completely in love with it.

14 Likes

You might also examine 6BZ7. It’s the stock tube for the Schiit Mjolnir2. It’s a close cousin of the 6BQ7A tube. Another very inexpensive tube.

4 Likes

Yes sir! The Raytheon is actually a 6BZ7. The Philco by Sylvania is a 6BK7B.

5 Likes

I agree. Totally rad. Thanks for suggesting it!

I’ve heard people claiming they’re having noise floor problems a lot - do you know which A&S amp models, tubes and headphones they’re having issues with? I’ve never experienced these problems but I also haven’t heard every amp in Justin’s line. Sorry for the slight off topic…

1 Like