Focal Clear Open-back Headphones - Official Thread

Just picked up a set of Clears today, as well as the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin pads I ordered a few weeks ago.
In effect, I guess this could make for a combo of 2 other possible different Focals?

• Elear with Clear pads = Elex(-ish)
  • Clear with Dekoni pads = Utopia(-ish)

Seeing as most of the official Focal pads are either quite high in price, or impossible to find anywhere, Dekoni seems to be the only manufacturer making aftermarket pads that fit directly on to these chassis.
I have heard of people 3D printing adapters to use pads such as the HM5, ZMF, etc. with varied results, so it would be interesting to see how much of a difference could be made with a simple pad change.

10 Likes

Those look pretty nice. Looking forward to your feedback. :+1:t4:

3 Likes

I just have to say that the Focal Clear is the only ‘kilobuck’ headphone that I have heard that justifies its price in my opinion.

It’s superb overall. My only criticisms would be that it could do with a few dB bass boost for my taste and occasionally it can become fatiguing due to its brightness.

4 Likes

Focal Clears here, Schiit Lyr3. Bifrost 2, Jriver MCP 24…

Rolling Stones, Hot Rocks, Paint, It Black…10/10.

OMG Good!!

:>)

Alex

5 Likes

I got a set from Audio Advisor and a set from Bloom Audio.

Alex

1 Like

Just wanted to post some measurements of the Clear from the GRAS rig:

This is relative to the Harman Hybrid target I’ve been going with for now. It uses the 2013 bass but the 2018 mids and treble. I like this target the best so far, even though it still rolls off a bit in the treble.

Here’s the channel matching for L+R

Here’s the Clear vs Harman2018 with linear bass below 900hz.

Note that the 9khz dip is supposedly due to concha reflection. Apparently this doesn’t show up on all headphones, but it does on ones with a lot of interaction with the physical ear.

8 Likes

That’s pretty much where I thought it would be, though I did think there would’ve been a bit more mid-bass present.

Great headphone.

7 Likes

Yeah I thought it would be as well. But I think it may be just due to the punch and slam it has that it gives the sense of extra bass. Notice the multiple seatings and positional variance in the last one. It never showed a ton of mid and sub bass regardless of the position. But from a subjective experience perspective, it definitely sound quite punchy at least.

11 Likes

I also forgot to mention earlier, I love your hybrid Harman Target. IMO, it’s a truer “neutral” than any of the other versions. Excellent choice. :+1:t4:

5 Likes

Is there a source for that?

2 Likes

This information comes from Oratory1990, and you can read about it in his FAQ here. From what I understand, one of his rigs is the same as this one I’m using. He and Mad_Economist have both been extremely helpful with this stuff.

Here’s the exerpt:

"That drop is caused by the shape of the pinna, it depends strongly on how your exact ear is shaped. It’s also very important for localization.
On well designed headphones this drop is always present - and it definitely is present when listening to regular loudspeakers (because it’s created by your ears).
This means that when a headphone exhibits a peak in that area (it’s often enough just to not exhibit a drop ) is very often perceived as „hissy“, „sharp“ or „zingy“."

9 Likes

So I just got my brand spanking new Focal Clears, and come to find out my head seems a little small for them.

I’m fairly normal sized, 5’ 9", I didn’t think my head was super small (but definitely not large!), but even at the smallest setting they seem just a big too big.

Anyone come up with ways to resolve things when the headphones are a bit too big?

thanks!

3 Likes

Think about how good you are, how smart you are, and that doggone it, people like you. Your head will swell and swell.

The sliders will create a “U” in the tightest, highest position but they can be a bit wide. The Clears are pretty rigid, so I’d think you’d have to get thicker foam pads (which would then change the tone).

In their lowest position they are more flexible, so you could perhaps put an extra pad on your head and pull them closer? It seems pretty crude though.

Given their build I’m not sure that any elegant solution is possible.

1 Like

I think this is just the nature of the fit of focals. I don’t think they’re intended to have a firm clamp, which is disconcerting if your coming from the world of Sennheiser’s that try and crush your skull.

I know when I got mine they seemed to perch precariously on my head, and feel kind of loose.
But you get used to it, and these days I actually find the fit comfortable

2 Likes

Many Clear owners make use of these headband covers to prevent discoloration. If your problem doesn’t have to do with clamping force, I wonder if you could stuff a bit of foam - as with this padding - inside such a cover so as to lift up the headphones and make them fit a bit better?

I use one of those myself, but it does nothing for clamping force.

In looking at my set, I’m wondering about taking out the hinge pins and putting the drivers in a new or modified headband. However, that would be a radical solution and destroy the resale value.

Ah, I just saw the original, now-closed thread in which @hifitodd said the Clear’s too wobbly. I’m not sure there’s an easy or satisfactory solution to the lack of clamping force, as others have mentioned above. Do not risk voiding your warranty, and beware of damaging the headband. Do not try to bend it. The replacement parts for Focal can be eye-wateringly expensive.

If you absolutely adore the sound of your Clear and couldn’t live without it, here’s an idea inspired by @generic’s suggestion about taking out the hinge pins and installing a new headband: you could see if you can find a cheap, broken pair of Focal Elex/Elear/Clear headphones on sale “for parts only” (there’s a broken Elex on eBay here, but it’s already got a bidder at $99, alas), and then see if you could experiment with bending the broken one’s headband and, if this works, then swap out the headband on your Clear. This assumes the headbands are interchangeable: I don’t know if that’s accurate.

Again, do not do anything that would void the warranty; I’m afraid your best bet might be to return the Clear and find an alternative headphone. I’ll let others chime in here but I suspect a ZMF headphone might be a good option for you, either the Aeolus or the Auteur, depending on your preferences (I see you’ve had a lot of experience with the HD600/650).

I’m sorry the clamp force has been an issue for you.

2 Likes

A headband cover might help. Dekoni Nuggets (small pads) can be added to the headstrap to change the fit dimensions. Headstrap padding.

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dekoni-audio-nuggets-headphone-headband-pressure-relief-pads-4-pack/

4 Likes

A ZMF Pilot Pad would also work.

3 Likes

Sorry, I just realized that it actually doesn’t fit. :grimacing:

1 Like