Focal Clear Open-back Headphones - Official Thread

Going to start off wishing @darrellharwood and @PaisleyUnderground the best of luck looking for a nice amp since they’re looking in the Arche price range. There are a ton of great choices like the Pendant, Euforia, Elise, Starlett, etc. Headphones.com has an open box Arche for 40% off if you’re interested.

Lyr 3 is undeniably a more flexible amp playing well with anything you can plug into it. I find it to be a wonderfully relaxing listen. Schiit has always had great performance out of their class A/B amps going for a pleasantly warm, full bodied presentation. Anyone getting into OTLs knows they’re primary goal is to use dynamic driver headphones. To me the Echo was more dynamic from top to bottom.

Focal’s factory tour includes demos with some of the amps they bring to shows. The Euforia is included among them, and Zach from ZMF checks his tuning on one of those I believe. Echo is the warmest amp out of the Feliks line, but it still leans into quality over quantity for its sound. Most reviews will tell you this is by no means a good choice for lovers of bombastic bass. It gives a gentle lift at most.

This is not a 100+ OI amp that will blow the tonal balance out the window. I think it’s around 40-50, so it’s not going to sound overly bloated. The Clears benefit from a little more weight in their sound as I consider them more on the lean side. @lost33 Was listening to Shape of My Heart (My Songs Version) by sting and I Know You By Heart by Eva Cassidy in the album Songbird just now. It wasn’t too much bass but they do get a little kick in energy. The instruments glided throughout those songs slightly thicker than on the Lyr. People growing accustomed to the Clear in stock sound or especially the Elex might become bass sensitive. If you think either of these headphones have ample bass response already, then I could see it being a bit much. Imo they could use a little color, and the Echo is wonderfully natural sounding. Keep in mind my preferences lean warm as I chose the Atticus out of all the ZMFs. We all hear different so find your own truth. This is simply what I like. The magic of a great OTL is very real though, and both Focals mentioned are great on this one. Relagoor told me his 35 ohm Elegia was fine comparing his Echo to the Phonitor as well. Again, all Feliks amps are going for moderate appeal making major bloat a small concern. Their real magic is in the mids and silky smooth treble. Room acoustics light up getting you closer to a speaker like experience. It’s heavenly on high Z headphones and these Focals. Maybe the Stellia might suffer bloat.

I’m a big Schiit fanboy like some here owning the Asgard 3 + MM card, Modius, Lyr 3, and Bifrost 2. They’re great.

11 Likes