Focal Clear Open-back Headphones - Official Thread

Uff, thanks for the link. It looks very interesting and elegant, but my internal alarm bells go crazy here. Do you remember the special ifi zen can hd6xx version? In the past, when that amp came out, I was cringing: “An amplifier with an extra HD6XX mode? Are they kidding?” Now when I look at the Focal Arche, im get the same cringe. Looking at the specs: The DAC part of the Focal Arche is the same like my SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK2: AKM4490. Torch said its comparable to the performance of the RME ADI-2 DAC fs, which just makes it uninteresting to me. I have two friends, who own a RME ADI-2 and we all hear no difference to the AKM4490 chipset. But there are others who can… Now the amp is and should be the most interesting part anyways. Specs-wise, it’s the same like all other solid state amplifiers. But specs dont say everything, so I have to research a little more. Torch said its more rich and engaging than other solid state amplifiers, but what does that exactly mean? He also said that the amp part of the Arche is not quite as good as the Phonitor X, which makes me remember this:

So,that would also mean its not quite as good as the Phonitor E, because Phonitor E and X are the same. So my last concern is then this: Is the V200/220 as good as the phonitor E? If that is the case, then the V200 is slightly better than Focal Arche amp. Does my conclusions make sense or am I missing something? However, the Arche has some “specialized” modes for the Focal headphones and some phases, which at the same time intrigues me and makes me very sceptic. An amplifier shouldn’t do something like this? It sounds like a gimmick imo. The onky way to find out is by trying out I guess :slightly_frowning_face:
When it comes to built: it only weights 4.65kg?? That thing looks big, but it’s very light. Im asking myself why they make it so big, when it is so light? My sp200 is half as big, but weights 772g, without DAC. Im not saying more weight is better, im just asking why they would make it so big, when its unnecessary?
When I conclude so far:
DAC: same as my 100€ dac: AKM4490.
AMP: spec wise same as any other 200€ amp and it’s inferior to Phonitor E + has modes “specialized” for certain Focal Headphones (how is that supposed to be believable? :face_with_monocle:)
Built: It’s big, but hollow. Why? Nothing in there?
This everything combined, makes me question its price. Do you understand my troubled worries from an audionoobphile standpoint who only has been in midfi territory so far?

If the hifi ss amp vioectric V200 doesnt really enrich anything comparetively to my SP200, than I am reeaaaaallllyyy sceptic of that Focal Arche. The V200 is already considered to be on par with Phonitor E? Then how should the Focal Arche keep up then. I will be just going full tube at this point. I will be then asking for more help. Right now Im waiting for that V200 to arrive.

I have never heard of this. Now from their website: “The famous iFi 3D Holographic, it widens the sound-stage of your music beautifully….It really brings your music to like, makes it more tangible and believable”. Isn’t that audiophile heresy? It reminds me of these “7.1 surround” features of cheap gaming headsets. But you have good experiences with the iFi 3D Holographic, I think I will try it out. Thank you man! I might be even quite nice for gaming.
I have a slight problem with the input. I can not use USB, because of strong and annoying electrical interference. My motherboard supports optical, but the shape is different? Look at that cable. Whould that cable fit for the idsd? Or this cable maybe?