Focal Clear Open-back Headphones - Official Thread

Last month I ordered replacement pads for my Focal Clear from headphone.com because my old pads were looking a little beat/dirty.

The new pads I received are noticeably different in size, material, and density. The old pads are a good deal wider and the material is more pleasing. The new pads feel less premium to the touch.

The pads also sound a little different. It’s been really hard to make any noteworthy comparisons in terms of frequency response because it takes so long to replace the pads. There may be no difference in frequency response. But there does seem to be a difference in imaging/soundstage. The smaller new pads make the sound feel a little too close compared to my old pads that leave a little more room to breathe around the sound. This could 100% be psychological but I do believe I’m hearing a difference. Unfortunately, I have no way to measure and compare the pads objectively.

Here are some pictures of the new and old pads side by side.

Maybe the old pads have just expanded because they’ve absorbed oils from my hair over the last year or something? Let me know what you think!

I think the plan is to return the new pads and hope that I can find a pair that’s more like my current ones :grimacing: Hopefully @Resolve will measure them and compare them to the old pads when they get back to headphones.com!

11 Likes