General headphone discussion

Since the Bayerdynamic are built relatively stable, you can bend them inwards a little with both thumbs.

Usually there is a better clamp on the head, in my case I had to do it the other way around because the clamp was too much for me.

By the way, if you are satisfied with the DT990s, you will be rather disappointed with the HD660s, because in comparison they sound as if you had put a sponge in the ear cup, so a completely different tonal interpretation.

You should also take into account that if you use these as gaming headphones, the imaging of the DT990 is significantly sharper, more precise and more spacious than that of the Sennheiser.

2 Likes

Thank you man, is there a video you could put to show how to do it?

I don’t think a video is necessary for this, just place both thumbs at the point shown and gently bend the yokes inwards.

should I just take them back at this point? nothing seems to fix them at this point, I’ve tried literally every remedy possible, I think its just the headphones.

I’ve bent them and it turns out they don’t fully fold in anymore, I’ve tried everything man.

I guess I’ll just get a full refund and buy the 990 special editions.

It’s definitely the headphones, on all my other cans it doesn’t do this. its a slight gap but not as big as they are on the 990 pro limited edition.

I’m getting super stressed out over this, I just want an upgrade over my crappy gaming headphones, but it looks like that’s not happening, so I guess I just have to listen to the garbage quality of my gaming headphones until I find something of decent quality.

I feel for you, and there is no need for extra stress. If you just want to upgrade your crappy gaming headphones, you might want to consider sending back the stuff you got and looking here:

I recommend that another friend who does a lot of gaming look at Audeze, and he loves the Mobius he picked out.

Thanks dude/dudette, I appreciate it.

I was just looking at audeze.

Are audeze headphones good for mixing and mastering music?

Generally, I would say yes, although there are others who know more. I have liked every Audeze I have tried, except the LCD-2 Closed Back which I found unlistenable due to internal resonances. I own 3 of their “IEMs” the iSINE 20, LCDi3, and LCDi4.

And it would be “Dude” or perhaps dud.

1 Like

Okay.

Here are my options right now dude.

Its either the Hifiman Sundaras, the Sennheiser HD 660 s, or finally the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro.

Those are pretty much all the cans I can afford, my maximum being around 500 dollars.

For gaming, I think you’d do better with that Audeze Mobius.
SOMEONE ELSE CHIME IN HERE PLEASE. MY IDEA OF GAMING IS DUPLICATE BRIDGE.

1 Like

Haha, I might try duplicate bridge, although it has never really interested me, I’m more into games with a screen on them.

However, I’m looking at the audeze mobius and (thank you very much for the recommendation) I’m not very interested in these headphones.

I’m more interested in the professional studio headphones.

Which is why I’m looking at the three headphones I mentioned in here.

Quick question though, have you ever used the DT 1990 pros? do you like them?

1 Like

Looks like someone didn’t enjoy them, what beyerdynamic cans do you recommend? I like the idea of the velour earpads and the high impedance, but I just don’t like that awful fit.

Guess :rofl:

:+1:

1 Like

Bayer’s all have the same headband and ear cup system, so if one doesn’t fit you, I doubt another model will fit you better.

2 Likes

Okay, I made an error - I thought you wanted better gaming headphones, not something to help you do mastering.

I’ve heard earlier Beyers, not the DT 1990, but most of them tend toward the bright side. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but I prefer Grados, and own the RS1e Grado with Beautiful Sound pads - probably a bit out of your range, unless you find them used.

Of the phones you listed, probably the Sundaras. I’ve got a slightly earlier, somewhat more midrange Hifiman headphone, the HE-560 V2. Those can be found used easily in your range, and are very well tuned. However they had some quality issues - I’ve been lucky. The issues have been mostly resolved with the Sundara. Their tuning is relatively neutral and they have good bass extension.

Audeze can also be a very viable alternative, but even used, slightly above your range for used LCD-3 or LCD-x.

DO CONSIDER buying used, as you can almost always resell for very close to what you paid for them if you don’t care for what you got.

One thing probably not on your radar might be the KOSS ESP 95X, which showed up around $500 on Massdrop (now Drop) a year or so ago. I’m a fan of electrostatics, and they can be exceedingly clean. I did not hear the 95X, again, I’ve heard earlier KOSS Electrostatics and own an older STAX and a current Nectarsound HIVE.

:+1:

For example…….

Review for the Audeze Maxwell is coming out on The Headphone Show channel in the near future. That might be the better buy for gaming @sailent

For studio monitoring though, yeah, Audeze LCD-X or Sundara (with an amp) would probably be better. Beyer DT 770 gets praised for monitoring as well.

And with them coming up fairly regularly on eBay, just keep bidding and sniping, one can be snagged at below market with a little persistence.