General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

I’d add the new Uniti Atom Headphone Edition to the list :smiley:

1 Like

If your new to the game, the AKG k371 is a good start. Harman Target sound, fun sounding and detailed enough for most people.

2 Likes

Indeed, was checking it out, so great suggestion - thanks!

One thing I don’t need is a display, since I do everything through roon, which makes the design of this unit a minus (height to accommodate display; volume knob that isn’t front facing not as comfortable for desktop use; XLR in back not deal breaker but not a plus).

but mostly I wonder ho the Unity Atom what compare in sound quality and headphone amplification in to the other units (and how they would compare to each other in that regard)

Apologies for the silly question but I am new to all this. I am getting the JotR and the BiFrost 2. I gather XLR is probably the best way to connect these.

Does using a longer cable (say 6 ft vs 1 ft) degrade the SQ?

1 Like

Technically and sonically no. But it’s a tidier setup around back to use the shorter cables. Keeps everything neat.

1 Like

I bought some 1 foot cables for my Schiit stack, and I was proud of how tidy everything looked at the back.

A few months later, I decided to change my desk setup, and realized they weren’t long enough. I felt stupid because these were custom cables, and the guy who made them begged me to make them longer, telling me they would be unusable if I ever changed my setup. But I didn’t listen to him.

Luckily, he was a really nice guy, because when I emailed him to tell him that he was right, he offered to exchange them for 3 foot cables. They are still short enough to look tidy at the back. And any new cables I’ve bought after that have been even longer.

Anyway, I wanted to pass on my experience.

13 Likes

Thank you very much, JeffYerkey and PaisleyUnderground, for the feedback.

2 Likes

Hey all! So it was requested that I report back about my purchase of the 6xx and my schiit stack. I just received my headphones today, and WOW!!! I’m hearing things I’ve never heard were there in songs I’ve listened to 100’s of times. I literally could hear a light pick strumming the strings on a guitar like I was there. Pretty insane. I’ve always listened for every little detail in music but never did I know what a nice set of cans were about. I’ve already started researching about getting a different amp to drive them. I’ve read the bottlehead crack is a good amp with the 6xx. What does everyone think? Also I’m not too thrilled with the modi 3+ dac I bought so I want to switch that out with a better dac. Any ideas on dacs would be greatly appreciated as I’m still new to this. Thanks in advance.

12 Likes

Ah, such a familiar story. That’s how it starts, now you’re one of us. :wink:

For a DAC, depends on how much you want to spend. Bifrost 2 is considered by many to be best in class at its price point. If you don’t want to spend that much, Modius is probably a good step up from your Modi 3. And yes, HD6XX loves tubes. Bottlehead Crack is a popular choice if you’re willing to put the time & effort into it. Otherwise, Schiit Lyr or Valhalla or a Darkvoice are also great options.

7 Likes

Thanks! I’ll probably go with the modius and crack.

1 Like

Given that you started your post so positively, I was surprised that you finished with the need to replace both your DAC and amp!

What was it that you didn’t like about the Modi 3+ DAC? And are you sure it’s the DAC that’s the problem?

That will help the other members give you some guidance. There are plenty of good amps and DACs that work well with a 6xx, but a lot of it depends on what kind of sound you like, and how much you want to spend.

6 Likes

You might want to also consider the Shortest Way 51+, Feliks Echo, Hagerman Tuba, and Quicksilver Headphone Amp – all are tube amps in the less than $1k category. The Crack is DIY although you can find a builder to do the work for you on Etsy.

For solid state, there is the Schiit Jotunheim 2 and Rebel Amp.

Your total budget, usual music genres, and current/intended other headphones are factors here also. When providing a recommendation it’s helpful to know “what sonic properties are important to you and what didn’t you care for”?

Or what @PaisleyUnderground just said.

7 Likes

I’m happy you found a solution that works for your listenings Mick.
I’d stick with your purchase and try to explore all its potentials before upgrading it.
This because every system needs time to work properly and give its best.
Give your new equipment and yourself the time to discover and appreciate what you have now.
Enjoy.

3 Likes

Looking for an set of opens to round out my listening. Leaning towards ZMF as they are local and I see a lot of love. And they look great.

Listening is mostly metal (death/black/thrash) or scores and library tracks. Some jazz and prog.

I’ve heard recommendations for the Auteur and Aeolus over the others in the line.

Maybe HEDD as well?

Any help appreciated!

2 Likes

Yeah I definitely should have explained myself. The only thing I don’t like about the dac is the way the source input connects, and how it draws power from it. My phone gets sucked dry pretty quick. When I go ahead and plug the dac into the wall I really was let down that there’s no switch to turn the power on and off. I can live with it of course, and am very satisfied with the setup other than that. I have just always wanted a tube amp and building one sounds like fun so I like the crack or something else around that price point. The other reason I want to upgrade the dac is to match an upgraded amp. I’m looking at around 400 on the dac. I’m kinda crazy but I just love the new detail so much I want to see how much better I can get🤣 @bpcarb I think this is pretty much what I was going to reply to you as well. My genres are classic rock, metal, jazz, and some classical. I actually like a broad range.

4 Likes

In order to have the possibility to turn on and off the power for your DAC there are simple adapters that work like an on/off interruptor to be added between the external power source and the DAC. You can find it for few dollars on Amazon and similar stores. I let you the link to one of them: https://www.amazon.com/Onite-Micro-Female-raspberry-Switch/dp/B07FCJ7GJZ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2Q4AQSHKVQFDS&dchild=1&keywords=micro+usb+switch+on+off&qid=1621689781&sprefix=micro+usb+switech%2Caps%2C370&sr=8-3
A real difference in DAC quality can come form Schiit Bifrost but it’s more than the 400 dollars you indicated.
Enjoy.

1 Like

Thank you. Other than that I’m really happy. I will definitely explore my new equipment, and I am loving it. I’ve just always have wanted a tube amp and building one sounds like fun. That’s the only other reason I was trying to justify (with myself) buying a new dac.

1 Like

$400 is kind of a no-man’s land in audio. The sub-$200 options are so good that you won’t find anything significantly better at $400.

That $400 would probably be better spent going toward the tube amp you want.

The bifrost at $700 is a common step up and often seen as the best choice until you get in the $1,000 range.

8 Likes

Thanks for the info. I’ll definitely get a better dac in the future. I still need to get some good rca cables, and I want to get a source that’s better so I’m going to try to make the best of what I have now. Thanks again. I wouldn’t have gotten such good sound without you guys.

4 Likes

I’d suggest you to plug what you already have in a Windows PC and play with PEACE Equalizer for free in the meantime. Hint: start as simple as 2 knobs and 1 degree of freedom, i.e., more/less bass/treble.

No better DAC will give you the above with your existing gear. If you’re looking at a different sound altogether, I’d suggest looking at different headphones.

Hope that helps welcoming you to the rabbit hole.

Cheers. :beers:

4 Likes