General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

“As @ProfFalkin pointed out, Schiit has paid for return shipping on faulty equipment. I don’t see the problem here.”

Schiit did not say they are paying for my return. They said that I have to pay for shipping and that I am not eligible for an upgrade because it is B-stock.

Update: Schiit HAS paid for my shipping the amplifier back to them and a refund IS on it’s way back to me. I take back all that I said about their customer service.

1 Like

But you just said that you didn’t have any issues with your amp?

This is (at least) your 10th post commenting on how schiity Schiit is.

We get it. The horse is dead. You can stop beating it now.

You’re no longer contributing, if that’s what it could be called in the first place. Give it a rest, please.

1 Like

Ah, well sorry to hear that. From what I’ve gathered from several user reports, Schiit not paying for return shipping on faulty products seems unusual.

ProFalkin and any other that are offended. I am sorry.

Not offended. Just seemed excessive.

They touched you in a no-no place. I understand. Hopefully time heals these wounds. Maybe a cold shower. I dunno.

8 Likes

Did abit of a typo in my post, I said the 560s sounded abit unnatural and I prefer abit more bass presence like on the lcd2c. The 560s was pretty warm abit too much for me but £170 there a bargain! With the 800s again I prefer some more bass presence. The vocals did definitely feel in front of you instead of just in your head. Wasn’t big on the comfort. They didn’t feel uncomfortable but not super comfortable but they did feel like you could use them for a while in a warm environment due to the design of the pad. I should have payed some more attention to the tuning but compared to the lcd2c I prefer the lcd

1 Like

For those of you that might not back seen this yet:
About a 25% discount on what can already be modded to sound about 90% that of the 660s.

5 Likes

@Jman841 You have it ordered and coming. You should definitely try it with what you have. There’s a lot of infinite scaling memes out there. At the end of the day, its up to you to decide whether you like it or not.

My personal experience of using the HE6SE V2 has been captured on our dedicated HE6SE V2 thread here where I wrote two reviews on it along with other posts if you want to see what Ive tried with it, which includes various amps and dacs, both speaker amps and headphone amps.

I currently dont own the HE6SE V2 anymore, but I was happy with it with a cheap $70 speaker amp, with a $399 Jot 2, and a $6000 Bakoon Amp. Its a good headphone, but it also may not please everyone since it does have a typical hifiman dry, neutral sound. The main differences I heard between amps were more characteristics of the amp itself than MORE POWER memes. I tried a 100W speaker amp, and ended up with a 25W speaker amp (which is also a headphone amp). The HE6SE V2 needs power to get it loud and going, but after that minimum threshold, it takes on the life of the source chain.

It can barely get loud with a phone. So I don’t recommend that. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Thank you! I’m excited to test them out, it’s all part of the journey. Which speaker amp was that? Do you have a link on where to purchase, I would be curious to hear it with that before making a final choice.

Also, how did that speaker amp sound to you vs. the Jot 2?

1 Like

I used a few speaker amps actually. A cheap $50 amp from Amazon. One of those Class D chipset amps, the Parasound ZAMP V3, and the Audiolab 6000A. Of those, I loved the pairing of the Audiolab amp the most because it had the most balanced tonality with better depth and soundstage. The cheap Class D amp actually had a nice warm sound, but felt very forward and intimate. Maybe lacking too much stage depth. The Parasound ZAMP is a cheap, small amp that requires something to control volume with (passive or active pre-amp), and also was on the warm side. Similar to the $50 amp, but with a little better stage and resolution, though it’s still very much on the warm and intimate side compared to the Audiolab.

The Jot 2 had plenty of power. It leans on the brighter side, with lots and lots of punch. Depth was still quite forward, but it provided a lot of pop to the planar driver.

Most of the pairing was with a Chord Qutest or Schiit Bifrost 2 DAC. I also have tried with a Topping A30 Pro and D30 Pro stack and it isnt that bad either! It’s probably my favorite Topping pairing of all the topping product line Ive tried. (Note: The A90 is one of my least favorite amps ever)

4 Likes

My Topping D30 Pro just arrived, that’s what I ordered to test it out but did not dare mention that on this forum with how much topping hate there has been in my previous posts.

I paired it with my Topping E30 so I’ll see if it has enough power. It will have less power with the E30 as it’s a 2v output to the amp vs. the 4v output of the A30 Pro.

I’ll check out the Audiolab 6000a as well.

What headphones did you prefer over the HE6SE, or why do you no longer own it?

The A30 Pro, I’d say, barely pushes the HE6SE V2. You do have to use quite a bit of its available volume to get it loud, and I am not a loud listener. Even for the much more efficient HE400SE, I am on high gain most of the time and using 35-40% of the knob (granted, volume may not be linear and probably isnt).

You won’t like my answer as to why I don’t own the HE6SE V2 anymore. I bought a Susvara. :smiley:

4 Likes

That’s a legit reason haha, As much as there are many challenges with amping this headphone, from everything I’ve read or learned about the alternatives, it seems like there is not much currently available that does everything as well as the HE6SE V2 for an all around headphone at this price point. It seems like the jack of all trades below the $2k mark, unless I’m missing something.

At $650 Plus an investment into a good amp, which will benefit anything I have now or into the future, it seems like a great option.

The only other headphone I’m considering is the Focal Clear at the current sale price, but I’m not super excited about the issues of the drivers bottoming out easily as I do like a decent amount of sub-bass so if I EQ it up and listen at slightly loud levels, I would be worried about the drivers maxing out.

I’ll have it to test on Monday, so we will see how it goes!

One last question, did you prefer the D30/A30 stack over the cheap headphone amp, or did the cheap headphone amp sound better due to having more power?

It’s not always that simple tho. There’s people who love their HD600/650/580 with a totl dac amp setup, or even a BHC. Sometimes it’s just about flavor/taste. There’s some $3k headphones that some would pass on for a HD600. Not saying that’s always the case and you may end up enjoying the He6se, hope you do.

6 Likes

Good point. As one proceeds, it’s about building systems, not making discrete component selections.

2 Likes

Ant, have you tried one of the better Class D amps? I’ve had Wyred4Sound’s STI-1000 as my primary amp in my regular system, and I quite like it. I may feel differently if/when I upgrade to more resolving speakers, but for now, it was a clear upgrade to my vintage Sansui AU-919.

Both integrated, and the Sansui was/is no slouch. (It’s at a repair/refurb guy now. Probably recapping and going to upgrade the skimpy 1970s power cord).

This amp does not have headphone out, and there is no way I’m connecting any headphone, or even a STAX energizer to the output of something capable of 500 RMS WPC into 8 ohms and elect-.riec stove level power into 4 or less.

Yea that’s a good point. I should have prefaced it with what I am personally looking for at the moment. I will find out more on Monday when they arrive. I’m very tempted to grab an HD600 as so many people love them as well and use it as a reference point.

The things I’m personally looking for that I have read the HE6SE has are:

Good soundstage,
Good imaging
Neutrally tuned
Low distortion to take EQ well
Good detail
Good resolve
Good slam in the bass/sub bass
Natural timbre

The downsides being the power requirements and weight.

All other headphones I have looked at from reviews or listening seem to have a lot more trade offs, they may excel in some aspects but sacrifice more in others. From my reading, short of the Susvara or the ZMF Verite, there is not much that is as well rounded as these.

I have limited experience with the high end headphones though (over $500), so this is all just from research. I’m excited to actually test some of them. Hopefully my expectations are not too high haha.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s all taste and opinions in the end. If you ever pick up a 600 I’d highly recommend a tube amp.

There’s other headphones out there that fit people’s preferences. Some enjoy the fostex headphones with the Lawton mods. Some like the LCD2s. Some are satisfied with something like a Sundara or even an Elex. There’s plenty of others I’m missing. Just try things and see what you like.

1 Like

Regarding the use of a speaker amp and the HE6SE.
My vintage Adcom GFA 535 amp is highly regarded, stereophile recommended, and a Nelson Pass design from when he was at Adcom. It tests at higher clean output than the published spec and barely got warm when using it. I verified bias and DC offset prior to putting it to use.
Published specs…we know that they are not always useful. This headphone benefits from 5 watts at least, but sufficient current is the key. Vintage Yamaha amps and perhaps their current high end amps are correct ± currently. Their run of the mill a/v consumer amps, maybe not so much. This headphone benefits from a QUALITY speaker amp. The Adcom is that and probably the most economical choice. I used a GFA 5500 at 200 watts (Nelson Pass again) and did not notice any improvement. Always have the preamp volume turned down when starting use, no sense maxing it out in the beginning. I have done that, for 2 seconds and everything survived okay, just not recommended.

2 Likes