General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

That should do. Thanks.

1 Like

I posted this on the Focal Clear forum but haven’t gotten any responses, so I’m posting here as well: I use the Focal Clears with an android phone + mojo for classical music. I like the mobility this provides, as I like to listen in different rooms / walk around, etc. I need to replace, however, the focal cable which has failed yet a second time, and I’m wondering if there’s a better amp out there. I am looking for an upgrade would be that preserves that mobility while improving the SQ. It’s the only standalone amp/dac I’ve had. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 Like

Hi, if you like the sound signature of the Mojo you can give a try to the If Micro iDsd Black Label or the Nano Black Label. The latter is more compact and less expensive but you loose the Xbass+ and 3D+ functions as well as a wider possibility of fine tuning your gain.
If you look for a different sound signature you can check the Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt. Coming from Mojo I opted for the Cobalt for portability reasons and because it works with the battery of your device so you don’t have to mind about a second battery. The Cobalt isn’t power angry and drives the Clears quite well. @Resolve review: https://youtu.be/E32-o4oonME
To second the transparent sound of the Clears I prefer the Cobalt over the Red. You can chose the Red if you want a more materic, dense sound in order to change a little the tuning of the Clears.
Another @Resolve useful video here: https://youtu.be/ZLRNOb5Vmk0
I hope this can help.
Enjoy.

I forgot to mention the Ifi hip-dac. It is a smaller unit than the above suggested from If and you still have the xBass. It is a battery powered unit. You can check @Resolve review here: https://youtu.be/keNuzCf9dE4

How much do you want to spend on it?

Long post!
Time to upgrade?

I’ve recently purchased my first IEMs and bought my first pair of really good headphones. I went for the TinHifi T2plus and Drop+Sennheiser HD6XX.
I enjoy my Tin T2plus quite a bit. Even when I have to do some tip-rolling on a day to day basis and comfort is not really great with any tip. I find a good fit every time (sound wise) and like listening to the IEM.
I’ve also been enjoying my other purchase, the HD6XX.
I like the sound signature on those headphones. Although I’m sometimes missing some sparkle in the highs and some sub bass extension.
So I’m now contemplating an upgrade. It’s more like I’m looking for an addition to what I already have. Something that is an upgrade but has also something little different from the sound signature of the head/ear-phones I currently own. Some more analytical or better sound stage or better detail or better bass or better highs or accurate to the Harman target curve, … all of the above…?

I’m not upgrading both IEM and headphones at the same time. I want to enjoy the one upgrade first and then go for the other. I think it’s way more fun like that.
So now the question is, what to upgrade first and with what?

I’ve done some research and think these IEMs will be something I can enjoy:
ThieAudio Legacy4
Moondrop KXXS
Or go straight for the Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk? (<=my max budget for an IEM)
Other suggestions are welcome!

The Blessing 2 Dusk is quite a step up from the Tin T2plus.
Should I best go for something in between the Dusk and the T2plus to get an idea about what I gain by upgrading and saving some on the budget? Also, I’m a bit worried about the ergonomics of the Dusk.
Or should I go for the headphone upgrade first? There’s a lot less options to choose from here. Many will suggest the Sundara but I don’t like the build quality/look (DIY project built from scrap metal?). It can sound impressive but I don’t think it’s worth the money with that kind of build. The HD560s is more a sidegrade than an upgrade. I also own a Beyerdynamic DT770pro (250Ohm). After getting the HD6XX I haven’t used it for more than 30 minutes. The mids are too far in the background. The bass is not as nice as on the HD6XX. There’s enough bass, but it doesn’t sound right. And there’s that sharp edge in the treble. Overall that sound signature is much less what I like than the 6XX.
Any good suggestions with regards to headphones? (budget: let’s say €500/$500 max)

Oh, and have stepped away from EQ. Not that I’m against it, but I want to experience the phones for what they are, at least for now. Discover all the details in the sound and learn about what I like in a product and what not. I will get back to EQ-ing later, I’m sure.

I actually have no idea what to expect from an upgrade from a product well above the budget I have invested now). And I’m not sure if I will keep tolerating the comfort issues I have with IEMs? Everything is new now with IEMs. So it’s still fun. But will it stay like that?

I’m not in a hurry. :wink:

So: IEMs or headphones? Which ones?

1 Like

I would upgrade what you feel you would get the most enjoyment out of, and only you can decide that.

For example, if you use IEMs as sort of background music while doing other things, but you actually sit and listen actively to the headphones at home, then maybe you would enjoy an upgrade (or a different flavour) of headphones. Or vice versa.

The Tin T2 Plus is a great set of IEMs for its price, but then again, so are the HD6XX (even more so). I would say that an upgrade from the HD6XX, or even something as good but different, is going to cost more than the upgrade from the T2+. I prefer the Starfield to the T2+ but I have the Blessing 2 or the Dusk on my purchase list, so if you can make that jump, then I think you will see a huge difference in comparison to a much larger inversion in headphones.

Of course, this is just IMHO, YMMV etc.

3 Likes

You should consider that the Blessing 2 Dusk are comparatively huge!

:+1:

https://www.amazon.com/HIFIMAN-SUNDARA-Over-Ear-Full-Size-Headphones/dp/B077XDWT7X

for example :man_shrugging:

Regarding the Blessing 2 Dusk: I wear CP100 XL eartips on the T2+. Does that give me a good chance of tolerating the large nozzle on these IEMs?

According to Crinacle the iBasso SR2 is not so great: “Shouty, shrill and lacking the proper heft in the bass region.”
Looking at the freq. graph that is exactly what I would expect them to sound like.

Like I said, the Sundara will likely sound great but I don’t know if I want to spend the money on someones mediocre attempt at a DIY headphone. I know this is a very harsh judgement, but that’s the feeling I get when I’m looking at pictures from that product.

In some ways I’m hard to please, I know.

I’m switching between IEM and headphones regularly and am inconclusive what I enjoy most.
Maybe best go for the IEMs then? Better chance of being happy with the purchase atm I guess. There’s nothing really in the headphone market that speaks to me in the price-range I’m looking at.
There’s much more interesting IEMs out there.

1 Like

I don’t know Crins ears, but in my experience nothing is correct in this assessment.

If you read other reviews of these headphones, they have been consistently positive.

Yeah, I’ve watched some reviews on YT which were quite favorable.
On the other hand my ears tend to agree with measurements I see. (basing that assessment on Beyer DT770 pro, Superlux HD668b, Senn HD6XX) Unfortunately I have no way of checking out the iBasso before I buy them. …which goes for about any other HP I will consider… :grin:
I’ll put it on the list.

What about the AudioTechnica ATH-R70x? An older model. But gets good reviews and measures about the same as what I see/hear/read in the reviews.

I’d upgrade the item you like the least so that you’ll get more of a benefit from the new item. You could then sell the original item if it no longer has a place in your collection. I don’t know the IEMs you’re referring to so I’ll confine my comments to headphones.

The HD 6XX doesn’t have the deepest sub-bass presentation, as you note, and it is quite laid back, so if you want more sparkle, you may need to go with a different headphone. The HD 600 might be better suited to your preferences even as it retains some of the other qualities of the HD 6XX.

What’s your current headphone setup? The HD 6XX and HD 600 are great headphones and are famous for scaling with a higher quality source and amp.

Where are you located? If you can buy Schiit Audio products affordably, and if your budget is €500/$500, then I’d recommend getting a Modi 3, Vali 2+ or Magni 3+ first, seeing how you like the setup with your HD 6XX, and then if you’d like to get a different headphone, you could sell the HD 6XX and get a HD 600. (Or buy used and get the DAC, amp, and headphone within your budget).

2 Likes

I’m from Belgium. I don’t really mind buying worldwide if I trust the seller and product I’m buying.
I’ve got a Topping DX3pro as a DAC/amp. (USB from laptop, optical from CD player, BT LDAC from phone)

It’s quite hard to tell what I like least in my set-up.
I actually like my set-up quite a bit.
That’s why I said in my initial post that I’m not in a hurry. :smiley:

1 Like

Hi guys!

Just bought a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3 and I am looking for a Bluetooth transmitter that will work on my vintage TEAC AG-6500 stereo amp.

I have bought the Miccus Rtx 2.0 already for another device, it works with my amp (I tried the TAPE OUT but the sound was not good, then I tried it in the headphone 1/4 jack on the amp, it works but I’m not that satisfied, sound is lagging sometimes).

So I am looking for either another Bluetooth transmitter that has a long range (I often listen to the music upstairs, on the mezzanine, I can see my sound system downstairs from where I am, maybe 20ft from where I am usually, and the Miccus is supposed to have a 300ft range…).

Any suggestions for a Bluetooth transmitter? Or any other idea how I can handle this and get the best of my headphones with my stereo amp?

Thanks a lot!
Alex

2 Likes

This may be helpful: The Best Bluetooth Transmitters for Home and Portable Use | Reviews by Wirecutter

All of the “audiophile” solutions I know of are just meant to put bluetooth into a stereo, not broadcast to headphones. Most people just go straight from their phone for that.

1 Like

The main issue is that you are dependent upon the ADC (analog to digital conversion) because it needs to take the line out and convert it to digital. This is not something that is usually a strong point in many devices.

What are you feeding in to the TEAC (I guess you aren’t just listening to the radio)?

The type of headphone/amp/DAC I am looking for is (Closed-back, open-back, in-ear, wireless, etc): Any
My price range is: No price range at the moment.

I like to listen to: N/A

I will be using them for: (Travel, commuting, home, gym, etc…): Work at home job.

Notes: I work from home and the headset my job provided does not really help with noise in the background. My wife works in the same room on the opposite side. I am trying to get a headset or mic and headphone combination that will help with blocking any background noise. I cannot download any programs due to the work computer restrictions. Does ANYONE have some recommendations that would help with this. Thank you in advance.

Maybe someting with ANC. Do you work on a MAC or PC?

If MAC, then maybe the Airpods Max? If PC, maybe the Sony WH1000XM4?

(note, I haven’t heard either of the above, I am simply makng possible suggestions. I have had the Sony WH1000XM3 and I thought the mic quality left a lot to be desired but the ANC is pretty good).

There are also other options from Bose, Sennheiser etc.

(edit: Maybe I understood you wrong, are you trying to block out noise that irritates you or the person on the other side of a call?)

3 Likes

Thanks for the tips. It would be great to eliminate having to charge a second battery. In terms of a sound signature, I probably (don’t have any comparative experience) prefer transparent over warm. Would you say the mojo to Cobalt move is primarily about transparency/sound signature rather than SQ? Thanks for your help!

1 Like