General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

I’ve tried sub $100, $300 and $1500 level iems. I didn’t care for the blessing 2, felt like no base at the 300 level. Foam rolling was the best but still uncomfortable but the sound was good at the 1500 level. The powerbeats3 (I keep calling them beats3) wraps over the ear and then in the ear. There is no effort to get a good fit and good, probably more exaggerated bass. Right now, iems just don’t work for me. It would have to be a miracle fit and a warm, not as sharp, little emphasis on the bass for me. I just don’t know what iem that would be. And if it could fit like the powerbeats3, it’s hard to explain, but putting these on is like second nature, over the ear and turn, it just snugs in and sounds good for a sub 200 in the ear. With iems and foam rolling, I have to yank on the ear, roll one hand and then try to get it in before it decompresses and then hold, let it expand and hope is sits properly. That’s way too much effort, gives me that miracle effortless iem, I’m there.

Then lets talk about portable dac amps, two types I’ve tried, dragonfly and ifi. The dragonfly is straight forward and easy. Ifi is potential all sorts of adapters and cables. If you want something simple, ifi isn’t it in my opinion.

That’s my two cents I’ve learned on this adventure so far.

2 Likes

I think you probably haven’t tried enough IEMs. Comfort and sound vary hugely. For example: I would expect the blessing 2 to not meet my desires. But the dusk did. However, it’s huge nozzle and size could cause comfort issues. I had the power beats (didn’t like them). But I have found fit that works as well.

I don’t like foam tips. More cause they can move a bit in the ear and provides a bit of a telephonic experience. I am about to do a tip comparison of about 10 tips. But foam was not better for me. Xelastec was far superior. But zen’s included thicker silicone tip has been the best on the Zen. For bass, you want as narrow a core opening with as thick a seal as possible supposedly. That has been consistent with the tips I do have. A thick properly fitting silicon with a smaller bore has really worked on my zen.

Amps/dacs, I am still on BTR5 and apple dongle. The cable mess doesn’t appeal to me. I am with you there. I haven’t found another good answer for this yet. Hoping I will find a DAP that I don’t hate. So far, not so much.

But, yeah, if you cant get comfort with IEMs, definitely go over ear.

2 Likes

I’ve paid enough of a restocking fee on the iems, specifically campfire solaris. So that has helped me put the breaks on my craziness for now. As far as my budget, ya, I broke that one… I’m still sitting with bifrost2, mjolnir2, hifiman arya with corpse cable and the tank, audeze lcd-x with a potential change from bifrost2 to gungnir, yes, limited returns, sounds funny, I’m looking at the ability to stack and match the set, then call it good, versus two units spread across my desk. I’m running out of space. my lg cx 48" takes up too much space (nope, not going to mount), even though it takes up too much space, I still like how it sits, xbox series x with premium controller (funny, I stream 4k with the xbox more than anything), then the two schiit’s, docking station for my laptop and then my 13" laptop, barely enough room left for a mouse and mouse pad.

1 Like

Glad to hear you got it working.

1 Like

This is why I only order from places with no restocking fees.

But, yeah, I hear that. I went through far too many things to absorb restocking fees. The fees would have been far more than the final setup.

2 Likes

I had a similar problem with IEM comfort. Look at Audeze and consider the clips. Particularly good if you are in the iPhone ecosystem.

The other possibility is custom fit. The UE Fits are very comfortable for the price, but are wireless only, limiting the quality to Bluetooth and power is the other limitation. However they make me curious about higher end wired customs.

1 Like

How is the UE fits sound? They have been on sale to the point where I almost just jumped in to try it.

They look interesting. I tried to set a budget and broke that. I’m finding it hard not to want something warm and a little more bass. I looked at them and it looks like UE11 would fit my taste but it’s also 1200. They do offer 200 off but still. Looks like they send you the fit kit for at home, send it back and then they construct the UE. Sounds like a smarter system then the rest. If I didn’t have three headphones I’d consider it. Guess I’ll need to get rid of some to try something else…

2 Likes

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

I own an assortment of mid-tier headphones and gear and looking for a set of nice punchy bass cans. Just to assist and limit repetition I own Focal radiance, elegia and elex, Sennheiser 800s,650, 6xx, 59x, Audeze LCX. Fostex purplehearts. As a reference, I am looking for the punch of the purplehearts (or better) with added detail. Gear Jotunheim V1 multibit, thx 789 sith smsl su-8. Music choices R/B and Hip hop I have plenty of detailed cans for gospel and jazz I need some just for fun cans. considering ZMF but which ZMF is the question… Help all suggestion will be considered

Probably should go here General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here! - #1638 by MadRev

Punchy bass cans with more detail than the TH-x00 ph? They seem pretty good for detail, and have plenty of treble. IMO, they’re a bit bright. Are you looking for more mids?

Define detail please.

1 Like

I own an assortment of mid-tier headphones and gear and looking for a set of nice punchy bass cans. Just to assist and limit repetition I own Focal radiance, elegia and elex, Sennheiser 800s,650, 6xx, 59x, Audeze LCX. Fostex purplehearts. As a reference, I am looking for the punch of the purplehearts (or better) with added detail. Gear Jotunheim V1 multibit, thx 789 sith smsl su-8. Music choices R/B and Hip hop I have plenty of detailed cans for gospel and jazz I need some just for fun cans. considering ZMF but which ZMF is the question… Help all suggestion will be considered

5 Likes

Punchy bass cans with more detail than the TH-x00 ph? They seem pretty good for detail. They also have plenty of treble. IMO, they’re a bit bright. Are you looking for more mids?

Define detail please?

1 Like

@TylersEclectic and I are suckers for the Campfire Cascade’s bass :stuck_out_tongue:

If you can stretch your budget, ZMF Aeolus and no looking back!

2 Likes

less perceived distortion in the low end or if the focal radiance had the punch of purplehearts

1 Like

the Aeolus are open back with bass nice…

3 Likes

Check out the Modhouse Argon. They have some really good bass and only cost around $350 on the used market. Super comfy too.

Another good one with tons of low sub bass are the ZMF Eikons. Great with your taste of music.

1 Like

thanks, i didn’t know they made headphone i thought only iems

1 Like

you just reminded me that i purchased a set of t50s to send to them. Ok back to saving for ZMF at least we;ve narrowed down which ZMF Eikons or the Aeolus

1 Like

There is a used pair of Eikons on US Audio Mart

2 Likes