General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

Hello, i´m new to the forum and I joined it to get advice in my next headphone purchase.

I´m looking for a “V-shaped” close back headphone with hefty good base and also one with different sound characteristic from my current headphones. I have a Sundara and a 6XX, power by a Schitt Magni + Modi.

The headphones that i´m considering base reviews I watched are:

Argon MK3: Basically everyone recommend this headphones, manly for their good soundstage in a close back while still retaining an excellent base. But the thing is I already have a Sundara for the soundstage :stuck_out_tongue:

DT 1770 Pro: This one is more divisive, someones love the superb base others think it´s to “muddy”. But its definitive “V-Shaped”, which is what i´m looking for.

DT 177X Go: Basically a cheaper version of 1770, with a little less bass but still “V-Shaped”. Easy to drive but i´ll be using them with an amp so…

My price range is: Up to $600

I like to listen to: Electronic, Rock, Heavy

I will be using at home with an amp

Which one do you recommend? Should I consider another models?

Thank!

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum. I’ve not heard the ones you mention but for good, bassy v-shaped closed backs in your price range, you might find it worth looking into the various Fostex headphones, which is to say headphones using the Fostex biocellulose drivers.

These include the Fostex’s own TH-610, the E-MU Teak, and the Denon AH-D5200. There may be others I’m missing.

If you don’t mind buying used, there are also the Massdrop/Drop x Fostex TH-X00 or the TR-X00 series (the latter have detachable cables, the former don’t). They came in three wood cups - Mahogany (the basic model), Purpleheart (slightly pricier, the bassiest), and Ebony (the most expensive, with smoother treble).

I have the TH-X00 Ebony and they’re a lovely, super-bassy pair of headphones. They don’t isolate especially well, though, so that might be an issue to consider.

4 Likes

I am evaluating the 177x go right now. I am not all that impressed with it so far. That said, I tend to like planar characteristics over DD (except the lacking bass slam). If you can stretch to $650 you might want to consider the ath-wp900. It’s clearer but has a very specific bass characteristic that may or may not work for you. It is otherwise a pretty big upgrade over the 177x. 177x seems muddy compared to the sundara. I haven’t heard the 1770 pro.

I am also in search of a reasonable v-shaped closed back headphone.

Welcome to the forum.

SRH1540 is another one to consider.

2 Likes

Have you considered a Campfire Cascade?

Thanks for the welcome and the responses.

Since the Argon MK3 it´s a Fostex T50RP mod, that improves the sound characteristics a lot for what I heard, i´ll probably go for that if I want to experience Fostex sound. I will look into those models thanks. i´m not going to buy use cause i´m not in the US and not want to deal with any international shipping return.

Thanks for the input, i´ll look at the ath-wp900 and the other recomendations.

1 Like

Rick interested in your thoughts on the singxer think of getting one also did it come with a US plug from appos, heard that can be a thing with some products from Asia, though I have not heard that from appos. Does it get hot, like other class a units, heard you need a a few days to break in which is par for the course. Thank you most interested in Z switch and how it compares to other 6 watt HP amps.

Yes it came with the correct US plug

It gets warm, you can still touch it and it will not hurt, nothing I am worried about. (I would suggest turning it off at night when calling it) I would also suggest to not stack it on something else that gets warm like the Bifrost 2 (I keep both the Bifrost 2 and the Singxer by themselves cause together as a stack can get pretty toasty)

The Z switch is used switch between low and high impendence headphones. From what I read somewhere else that the low-z setting is good up to 90 ohms and then pass that set it to high-z setting? I am not 100% sure how true that is as I read it on a forum somewhere. If you are wanting to change the gain, that is located on the bottom where you MUST switch ALL settings together to change from low to high gain.

2 Likes

Thank you for all that, are you happy with your purchase or would you make a different move knowing what you know now? Since you never mentioned it I take it’s doing the amp thing like an amp only ask because only person reviewing it is zeos but we all know zeos loves everything. Not a barb I like most everything also. Thank Rick for taking time to respond all these times.

I am pretty happy with the purchase, don’t think I need to really upgrade to anything else at this time. Pretty satisfied with my decision. Has plenty of power and has every connection to connect to any headphone. Love that the power switch is on the front. Only wish the high/low gain wasn’t on the bottom, but I don’t really need to switch to high gain except for a couple of headphones (DT 880 600 ohm and T1 Gen 2) that I own. Which then I just use the Lakepeople G111 amp for those.

1 Like

Hi Folks - I have SR1a , Jot R and Qutest w/ MScaler. What should I upgrade first, my amp to HSA 1b or dac to either Mscaler + TT2 or Dave by itself (without MScaler since I’ll need to sell Mscaler + qutest to fund the Dave)? I’ll eventually upgrade the other component but likely not for another year. So, the options are:

Amp Upgrade

1. SR1a + HSA 1b + Qutest w/ Mscaler

Dac Upgrade
2. SR1a + Jot R + TT2 w/ MScaler
3. SR1a + Jot R + Dave

I also have a Focal Elegia and Nightowl Carbon that I’d like to use more. I primarily stream using Tidal via Bluesound Node 2. I listen to all types of music but gravitate towards rap/hip hop, pop and electronic.

Thanks for your help.

5 Likes

Hi, wow what a setup! Congrats.
Upgrading is a long process and I see you have clear in mind it’s synergy thing.
I believe you have your answer already with you.
My point of view is that if you want to upgrade I’d start from the amp as in my experience is the component that gives you an immediate and more perceivable sense of your change (given that your components are already very good).
But this is my approach, clear yourself what is more important to you in the immediate future and what can be delayed.
Enjoy the music and your equipment.
Whatever your choice it will increase your enjoyment.

2 Likes

Nice gear. It likely depends on what sonic qualities you want to introduce into your chain. Your stated types of music will likely benefit from the added slam of the HSA-1b.

Another option is to add a tube preamp.

2 Likes

I’d vote amp and the other headphones.

Thanks @monochromios @bigshel99. Amp sounds like the better way to start.

1 Like

Thanks @bpcarb I never thought about the tube preamp option. Any suggestions that might work with what I have? I just started this hobby a couple of years ago and have little to no experience. It was only after reading a lot on this forum that I decided to start with what I have.

2 Likes

Never mind, every time. Enjoy.

You bet. You’re off to a great start.

I’ve heard of others having success with the Schiit Freya +. There also are the Linear Tube Audio (LTA) tube preamps, which are Class A push pull OTL zero feedback designs. I’m demoing the SR1a and HSA-1b right now. I get my LTA MZ2 back this weekend and will see how it does as a tube preamp in the chain.

4 Likes

You may want to research the performance delta between the Jot R and the HSA. From the standpoint of purely pushing the SR1a Ive come across reports that there may not be a huge difference. However, if you want an all in one amp to also power other headphones then the HSA makes more sense as it can run conventional cans too.

So the question really becomes is the Jot R to HSA a bigger upgrade than moving up in the DAC world? The Dave is widely recognize as a true top level DAC, even without the M Scaler. If you have other amps then a new DAC could feed all of them.

Reading your post I see you make no mention of what you are looking to upgrade about your sound? What are you chasing? Are you potentially jumping to something like the Dave because its touted as a high end DAC (true) or is there something specific you are looking for. You already have a Qutest so staying within the product line is reasonable.

Conventonal wisdom suggests upgrading cans, then amp, then DAC. You obviously have the SR1a as your upgraded can already. Id go against conventional wisdom and think about the DAC upgrade.

This is going off reports. @bpcarb has more direct listening experience with the Raal components than I. His preamp suggestion is something to consider as well.

3 Likes

DCS BARTOK is my advice. The Chord Dave and M Scaler is my number 2 and the Hugo TT2 with M Scaler is my number 3. Good luck! Cheers :slightly_smiling_face: