Hagerman Audio Labs "Tuba" Parafeed Headphone Amp - Review

Hi @Sturosen. I used to have a tuba and found that these tubes are really nice in it, if you want to take a stab at tube rolling.
https://upscaleaudio.com/collections/power-tubes/products/ei-6bq5-el84

5 Likes

Yep, they are dampeners and I can’t hear a difference with them on or off. It’s common for tubes to be slightly different in glowing or not.

2 Likes

I purchased these tubes and was really happy with the difference it makes to the sound of the Tuba. The stock tubes that came with the Tuba yielded less of a difference in SQ as compared with my Topping A90 amp. Once these tubes were rolled, I could really hear a difference in size of soundstage and warmth of sound.

Interestingly, on a pure rock track, I might prefer the sound of the Topping - it’s more like a punch to the face - but for jazz, bluegrass or anything with greater dynamics, the Hagerman is really pleasing. Even for rock, the Tuba delivers, but I’m looking for differences in each amp’s presentation - not necessarily that one is better than the other; makes it fun to have more than one amp!

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation on the tubes - really a nice bump up!

7 Likes

Glad you like them. It was one of the best bang for your buck upgrade I’ve done

1 Like

For reasons all about me and not about the fine Tuba, I decided not to go with the amp. However, anticipating the amp’s performance and recommendations online, I purchased two balanced pairs of EI 6BQ5 / EL84 tubes. I used one pair for less than an hour and never opened the other pair.

Any ideas of the best place/way to try to resell these? I know of this site’s for-sale section, but I don’t have a sense of the market for these tubes and whether they’re idiosyncratic to this amp or more generally in demand, and could use any suggestions you have.

Thanks!

@Sturosen, the ZMF Pendant uses a pair of 6BQ5 / EL84 tubes, so you may get some interest from forum members, as there are quite a few Pendant owners.

6 Likes

Hey there,

@PaisleyUnderground has a good suggestion, and to tell you the truth that particular tube is not really gonna fetch high demand or prices, but I suggest listing here and over on headfi. You might mention they work in both the Tuba and Pendant in the listing. I always sell my tubes through both forums, and have had good success. Basically, you have one pair that have been amp tested and I assume they were quite and not microphonic, so I would add that to the listing as well, to give some value.

GLWS!

Wes

3 Likes

Customized my Tuba amp with African Mohagany

15 Likes

Does anyone have experience with the Hagerman phono stages?

I’ve been looking at them, they have gotten very good reviews. Haven’t heard one yet. I’m really interested in the Coronet 2. There was one for sale on eBay recently but I wasn’t ready to pull the trigger.
Need to be sure my new “project” is going to be successful first

What’s in the box. 70s edition

1 Like

Nice. We are in the same boat (again) and that’s the one I have my eye on also. It might be a good match with an Ortofon 2M Blue or Bronze or Nagaoka MP-110 or MP-150 depending on the preferred sound signature. The next tier up includes a Hana MC cart with the Trumpet MC phono stage.

Sweet project! I have a vintage Thorens table myself. Good luck with restoring that beauty.

3 Likes

I was thinking of trying one of the Grado moving iron carts if I get this where I want it, so I’ll need a mm phono preamp. I guess you can use trumpet if you bury the controls to minimal amplification, but I like the looks of the Coronet 2.
Love my tuba, would like to try out some if his other designs.

1 Like

Those Grado carts look good also. Carts have a limited useful life, so having more than 1 cart mounted on different headshells is an option. The Coronet 2 hits a nice sweet spot.

I forgot you had a Tuba. I’ve never heard one, but I would think it offers an alternative tube presentation that is sometimes preferred compared to single ended tube amps, similar to my LTA MZ2. I’d love to hear an amp designed and built in the Pacific.

1 Like

Tuba is the only amp I bought twice.
I’m currently using mine with my Metrum Musette as my desk system at work.
It’s size and shape was a nice synergy with the Musette, but having had one previously, I was already in a good place with it sonically.

2 Likes

That’s a nice work setup. My employer just moved to a building across the street and we are transitioning to a hoteling arrangement. What’s an enthusiast to do.

1 Like

Any tube advice for the Tuba? Or have you settled on stock tubes? I have a 6XX and an Aeolus, pretty warm headphones, so maybe stock tubes would be a good pairing.

These are a good inexpensive option.

I’m currently running a set of 54 Valvo’s I got from @Wes_S .

I have a set of the Tungsrams I might be willing to part with if you want them, but you’ll probably be just as happy with the ones in the link I provided

1 Like

When I had the Hagerman Tuba, this was a nice, inexpensive tube for it.

Shameless plug, but I’m selling a small assortment of EL84’s. I only have singles left at this point but it would be a good start for someone looking to get into tube rolling.

1 Like

I got a pair of these for the Tuba, Aperex/Philips 50s/60s D Getter Made in Holland EL84 6BQ5. It’s the best I could get locally in New Zealand. Hoping it adds a bit of warmth and body to the sound, as the stock tubes don’t really fall within my preferences. But I love the sound stage, blackness of background and detail the Tuba can put out.

6 Likes