Help me find my "Frankenstein" headphone

Further along the journey than the 325 is, from what you are describing. I’ve only heard older 325s. When I got the RS1e, it was probably the most standard tuning of all Grado headphones. This confirmed via Inner Fidelity (RIP, in the Internet Archive)

1 Like

Maybe one of the wood cup flavors of the Fostex TH-X00 would suit your preferences? They’re no longer available on Drop. So you’d have to find one used.

They pair well with the type of solid state amp you have. They’re not analytical. Their weakness is the bass can be a bit on the loose side of things compared to Audeze. But a solid state amp like you’ve got will keep the bass in control as well as can be done for those headphones.

They’re a fun headphone. Good for EDM, good for alternative rock and such.

1 Like

You just described a well broken-in ZMF Aeolus when paired with solid state amp. ZMF headphones need an honest 150-200 hours to fully break-in.

Remember headphones have an electro-mechanical interface that is stiff when new, like a new pair of shoes or tires on a car they need to get worn in.

1 Like

Wanted to say this for a long time, but refrained out of respect for those who like them. Same goes for the entire 500 series line. The HD-800/820’s are nice if you want no bass under 50 hertz.

Even the HD-660’s are muddy and a step back from the HD650’s. I own and use an HD580 as a studio monitor for local talk radio shows I’m hosting. Fantastically comfortable, and asking very little of them sonically.

The only decent critical listening headphones Sennheiser makes are the HD-600 & HD-650. Also the absolute pinnacle of performance for cost. Any decent upgrade is double the price.

4 Likes

That’s an easy one: Focal Clear OG to respect your budget or Clear MG of you can find it at a reduced price.

5 Likes

So I’ve heard.

I’d consider the Aeolus if you prioritize timbre or used Clear Mg if you prioritize dynamics. I’m not sure if the LCD-X is different enough from the 2C. Aryas are probably too demanding for your amp.

1 Like

Take a look at the Meze 109 Pro. Quite a stunner, and only $800.

1 Like