Hidition In-Ear Monitors

It’s quite a big cost difference to get the Reference model. They charge an additional $500 for it, but it is nice to have the ability to switch sound signatures, and all of them do sound different in their own way.

I recommend the custom fit if you’re comfortable with that, but of course, re-selling it is challenging without losing a lot of money. The universals seem to re-sell for good value though!

With universal fit, it may sound a little brighter and maybe a touch of sibilance depending on how well of a fit you can get. Sometimes that extra brightness is nice though as it gives it little more soundstage perception, but could also cause a little harshness on some pop recordings.

4 Likes

@antdroid Thank you once again for the reply! I did quite a bit of reading over the last days (also on audiodiscourse.com) and discarded a few of the other models that were on my list.

One last question if I may, before I pull the trigger on the Viento - in your opinion, should I consider either the Monarch or the Andromeda 2020 as an alternative?

In my opinion yes. :wink:

I am working on a review of Monarch. It’s a nice nice alternative to Viento. It has a little bit more elevated subbass and better bass tactility with the dynamic driver, and as good or better treble extension with actual working EST drivers. The only two things I think Viento are better at are: more relaxed upper mid-range (i think the the Monarch is a little shoutier), and the Viento has better coherency and smoother overall sound signature, and perhaps slightly better imaging and slightly deeper soundstage, but thats very slight and partially due to the more forward 1-3K (about 2dB)

As far as Andromeda, I think that’s a slightly different sound signature and perhaps a better all-arounder as I think it can do rock music a little bit better, but I do actually think the Viento-B has better subbass performance and a smoother sound. I do like the imaging and resonance factor of the Andro 2020 more though.

4 Likes

Here’s a graph of my simulated Viento-B Custom vs the Monarch.

2 Likes

Oh man… and here I was hoping you’d say ‘no, no, the Viento is far superior to both!’ :upside_down_face:

Yesterday I also read a few reviews of the new CA Ara, which (according to those reviews) is more neutral and reference-y than the Andro 2020, so perhaps another alternative.

The challenge is that I can’t listen to the Viento anywhere. But I did find a shop which carries both Ara and Andro 2020 not far from where I live, so maybe the first step is to go and try them both. If I madly fall in love with one or the other - problem solved. And if not, I can then think of Viento vs Monarch.

(Speaking of rock music, I listened to some 30 Seconds to Mars tracks last night on my Etys, and… yeah, it’s not their greatest strength :stuck_out_tongue: But rock is sporadic listening for me, so I shouldn’t be making any decisions based on that.)

Will look forward to your review of the Monarch!

2 Likes

Which etymotic do you use?

I have not heard the Campfire Ara yet so no opinions there.

I also just got the IER-M9 and 64 Audio Nio in for reviews. The M9 is like the Viento but warmer mid-range and more relaxed treble. It’s boring to me compared to the Viento, but has the same type of outstanding coherency and sweet mid-range. I like it a lot too.

The Nio is also a warm bodied IEM with bigger bass that’s more fun tuning and a nice alternative to the Viento in my situation.

4 Likes

I’ve been using the ER4XR since when they first came out, and the ER4-PT before that. I’m a musician myself (a pianist), and the Etys are both for personal listening and for editing of recordings and playback during sessions.

I’ll go next week to listen to the Ara and Andro 2020 and post some impressions here. That shop also carries the InEar ProMission X which was on my list for a while, so I’ll try that too.

3 Likes

Hi Boris,

I’ve been driving the ProMission X since day 1. I’m in love with it. You will not be disappointed. The sound quality and soundstage, omg. Make sure you try with the spin fits for amazing fit. I literally wear these for 10 hour clips.

FYI, I’ve been follow your chat here… very funny, I’m in the same boat as you. Actually, I’ve almost purchased the Viento B several times but then backed out. I’ve been trying to hold off as a little birdy told me something new is coming from QDC in the next few months. AND about 40 days ago I bought my first CIEM - Kumitate Labs Lakh. Waiting for it to come in - sounds creepy but I think about them everyday.

2 Likes

Ant, You just kill it on these responses! Beyond informative, thanks :slight_smile:

Mike

1 Like

Thanks for the info, Michael! I’m very curious about the ProMission X, there’s not a lot of info about them online apart from a few positive reviews I found last December. Could you maybe tell a bit more about them - what kind of sound signature they have, what type of music works well with them, anything you feel like sharing :slightly_smiling_face:

But… they are also very very expensive. My mental limit is around €1500, so the Viento or Ara (or Monarch) are likely to be better options.

1 Like

@antdroid Hi Anthony, 6 weeks later and I’m still on the fence… it’s really come down to Viento B universal vs. the Monarch. Not being able to demo either of them is a pain :stuck_out_tongue:

Have your impressions of preferring the Monarch over the Viento changed recently? My only worry about the Monarch, to be honest, is the shoutiness which you and Crinacle mentioned, and particularly what you said about piano sounding on the harsh side.

I’m a classical pianist myself, and I use my Etys to listen to playback during recording sessions, and also later while editing, often for hours at a time. Would this harshness be a deal-breaker in your opinion if I moved yo the Monarch? (I know it’s a very specific question, but any thoughts would be very helpful!)

In my opinion, the ER4SR/XR can also be a bit too shouty for me. I think the Monarch is tamer than it, but obviously with the huge subbass boost, it’s nots a lot more fun.

The Viento-B is smoother than both of them and I think has perfect coherency and timbre, though some may find it a little lean at times, but its not as lean as the Etymotic series.

I’m speaking primarily on the custom fit. The universal is similar but has more treble in the 6-8K region for me but your miles may vary since its meant to be inserted as deep as possible.

After relistening to Viento-B vs Clairvoyance again, I still think Viento-B is my favorite IEM.

1 Like

Hi @BorisGil! I’ve been following the impressions of the Monarch for 3, 4 weeks and have my mind “almost” set on it, Clairvoyance is tempting, but I find myself most of the time looking for the details than the music as a whole ( weird, I know) .
If you end up going for the Monarch, please let us know!!
By the way @antdroid and @Resolve thanks for the reviews.

2 Likes

@antdroid thanks for the reply! Viento it is, then. Have just written to them to place the order.

@Hansel as above, I think I’ll be going for the Viento in the end :grinning: I very much understand enjoying the details, so between the Monarch and Clairvoyance (at least on paper), I would have chosen the Monarch too.

2 Likes

Hidition Viento First-Impressions

My first run-in with the Viento consisted of me trying to force-fit someone’s custom Viento-B; suffice it to say that was an excruciatingly painful experience. It was, however, enough to tell me that it would be an IEM that I’d be interested in hearing later down the line.

Hidition themselves hail from South Korea; they’re one of the most underrated manufacturers stateside due to having next to zero marketing presence. Also because, you know, they don’t have any employees who speak English. And because their website is a hot-mess. And because it’s more costly to buy from overseas. And because…well, you get the idea, I think. I myself only managed to snag a pair thanks to a friend in South Korea who was kind enough to proxy for me. So how does the Viento-B (henceforth referred to simply as “Viento”) actually sound? Well, the Viento sports four balanced-armature drivers. Not to beat a dead-horse, but a larger driver count doesn’t necessarily translate to better sonic performance; the Viento is a prime example. It follows a reference-oriented curve, so think something like the ER4XR but with some extra sub-bass and treble tacked on.

The Viento’s got some of the better BA bass I’ve heard. It neither slams as hard as the U12t nor is it as textured, but it’s getting there. The Viento’s transient attack is definitely tighter than the U12t which has something of a gentle softness down low that I quite enjoy. The Viento’s probably not the IEM to buy if you’re going to be listening to a lot of EDM, but it’s more than respectable for a BA IEM in this respect. Of course, I went for the “B” model because it stacks ~5dB or so onto the stock configuration; it was basically mandated for my preferences. Tonally, I think it should be in that sweet-spot for most listeners, curving as it should by 200hZ.

One of the first things that caught my eye about the Viento was actually the midrange; I suspect that the Viento served as the inspiration for the Moondrop B2: Dusk’s midrange. Mind you, that’s not a bad thing at all considering the Dusk has one of the best midrange tonalities I’ve heard. Subjective listening, however, is another matter entirely. To this end, the Viento is considerably more upper-midrange tilted, thinner, and to the point of which it borders on sibilance at times to my ears. I don’t think it’s bad , but it does leave something to be desired in this respect. On the bright side, vocal intelligibility is excellent, paying foil to my U12t which dips strongly in this region. Perhaps most notable, though, is the sheer texture present to the midrange. And I’m not talking about the crappy “grain” generally associated with most BA IEMs. The likes of Scotty McCreery, Joe Nichols, and Dierks Bentley, for example, all fly really well with between this note texture and the leaner lower-midrange. So while I don’t love the Viento’s midrange, I don’t hate it either, and it could be a whole lot worse.

The treble of the Viento is mid-treble emphasized with copious amounts of crash and sparkle. It’s pushing it here, I think, but it does work. While I haven’t sine-sweeped the Viento yet, I’d say extension is sufficient, albeit not matching some of the best stuff I’ve heard in this department. Really, what makes it somewhat hard to tell is that the Viento has something of a splashiness, or resonance, to the way a lot of treble instruments decay. I suppose in this vein it’s quite realistic and paying homage to its “reference” roots; however, I still think this could have been reigned in a tad, as I could see it being fatiguing.

On paper, the tonality of the Viento is exceptional; however, I do feel let down by these issues (which are both rectified by the custom version, so I’m told). Thankfully, the Viento is a technical performer too, and where it excels most is coherency : The Viento may just be the most coherent IEM I’ve heard. Everything syncs into place seamlessly; I fail to discern anything that sounds disjoint or out of place, and that’s something that I can’t help but admire. Even something like the U12t, because of its tia driver, doesn’t get quite this close, much less any other hybrid IEM I’ve heard. The macrodynamic ability of the Viento is definitely not in the same ballpark as the U12t - the Viento sounds somewhat dry, upwards-compressed by comparison - but its microdynamic ability is surprisingly good, and I think it easily gives the U12t a run for its money in this department, if not even surpasses it. Vocal inflections, minute instrument shifts - stuff of that nature - just fly really well on the Viento. That’s something I can definitely get behind. Staging is pretty average; overall imaging is on the “above-average” side of things with sufficient incisiveness to the violins panned to the left/right corners of the center image on Sawano Hiroyuki’s “Binary Star” and decent diffusal of the center image itself.

I think what impresses me most of all, then, is the fact that this is a 6+ year old design. I’ve been told that there might’ve been some slight modifications along the way; however, don’t let that discount how mind-blowing that is an industry that moves so quickly. Furthermore, I’ve consistently drawn comparisons with my 64 Audio U12t because it’s my other personal, flagship IEM and represents - to me only, mind you - the near-pinnacle of portable fidelity. The Viento’s the real deal. It’s an IEM that’s stood the test of time and still has what it takes to trade punches with the best in the game; it’s not hard to see why it’s garnered a stellar reputation in core IEM communities.

5 Likes

time to get a real custom version and do a proper review.