HiFiMAN HE6 Official Thread

Hi all. Anyone following this thread that may want to buy my HE-6s? All original boxes (which are also cool too). I just don’t listen to headphones anymore so these are sitting unused. Perfect condition

sent you a private message

Now, briefly getting to the whole amplifier question… let me state as clearly as possible that you do not need a speaker amplifier to power these . There’s a narrative surrounding these headphones that’s kind of like the audiophile equivalent to “but can it play Crysis?” for those who remember that. That narrative comes from the days when headphone amplifiers didn’t have the juice to be able to drive the HE6 appropriately, but in the years since, that part of the industry has caught up - in part with design intentions specifically aimed at driving the HE6. So once again, you do not need to use a speaker amp with these, however you may still want to.

I can attest to these findings as I have my HE 6 headphones attached to my Audio Research power amplifier and it transformed the sound. There is a magical sound signature that I cannot get with my other dedicated headphone amplifiers. The sound is surprisingly somewhat close to my 009S.

Victor B.

1 Like

It has been several years since I’ve owned either the HE-500 or the HE-6, but I do recall enjoying both while I had them, but the HE-6 bested the HE-500 in clarity and soundstage with some simple mods (angled pads, screen removed from grille, and a headband pad for better comfort). A key point is amplification. Underpowered, the HE-6 doesn’t sing like it is intended to. I owned the LCD-X then swapped them for the HE-6 and I found them to be very similar, but the LCD-X was easier to drive, so played better with more amps. I ultimately got an offer for the HE-6 that I couldn’t refuse and moved on. My biggest gripe with the HE-500 and HE-6 is that they’re just fragile feeling. The mini coax connection was a PITA, the cups scratched easily, and they just didn’t match the integrity of the LCD series, IMO.

3 Likes

Brought this baby to canjam and it’s still one of my favorite headphones. 6 screw.

If anyone is looking to sell theirs (especially a 4 screw!) let me know. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

This is interesting (learnt from the Head-Fi forums today):

Nan-6 Planar magnetic Headphone, what looks like a HE6 (SE? SEv2?) transplanted into some kind of Abyss cups and Audeze headband.

Crinacle recently measured it and seems to measure close, if not better than, the Susvara:

That is an intersting headphone, however, it would be really hard to resell if you dont like it, and you would lose alot on this headphone buying blind on it. At $800, its interesting, but a bit outside my blind buy with no option to resell if I don’t like it.

1 Like

I have finally attained both the 4 screw and 6 screw. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Oh such heavenly glory. See how they sound with a bass shelf :smiley: :smiley:

3 Likes

I really enjoyed your review of the HE6, maybe something to look forward to getting one day.

1 Like

Coolio you bought that pair from Head-Fi huh! A bit rich for my blood since I actually prefer the 6S, but I definitely noticed the listing. The 4S definitely has the more controlled and clean treble from my time comparing.

The way I heard it was:

6S: More gritty, crunchy and grainy in the treble, more bass quantity and slam. Just a generally exhilarating balls to the wall sound with crazy dynamics and in your face energy, all while sounding full and warm, yet sharp and bright all the same.

4S: Definitely more in line with Susvara - pretty much a Susvara Jr in a way. Bass reaches just as deep, but is less weighty than 6S; more controlled. The highs are the bigger standout, where presentation is more ethereal and almost stat-like. It has less grit than the 6S and more transparent/ airy presentation.

Let us know what differences you hear :slight_smile:

I’d consider the HE6 4S the most Hi-Fi version of HE6, with the most control and spaciousness, but HE6 6S has the ethos the defines the legacy of this headphone, and the ultimate guilty pleasure dynamic experience.

3 Likes

Can you suggest a track or sound that would make it obvious the difference between an HE-6 (late production 4-screw) and HE6SE V2? Or what specifically to listen to with the sounds and music. They sound close to my ears, which I take as my ears needing more training. Doing all listening through Ragnarok 2/Bifrost 2.

Love these headphones.

The HE-6 was my favorite can for a long time. It still holds the title of best bass impact. But a lot of the brightness/definition over 2.5k is ringing. The long cup HFM series and the HE-6se (v1|v2), and Susvara do not suffer from this problem as badly as the HE-6 or worse the HE5-LE or the HE-4.

I can listen to my modified HE-6se v1 (Ether Angled pads, Custom Cans cable, no rear screen, dynamat, EQ (including decreasing ringing FR), fuzzor for 2.5 to 3 hrs. Cant stand the HE-6 6 screw even with fuzzor, pads, cable, no rear screen, dynamat for more than an hour.

Both 6se will never have the bass of the OG. They don’t soundstage that well but for technical listening without a treble headache, they are both fine cans.

HE-6 in particular 4 screw have been in steady demand and steady price for years over years.

Got an older HE6? Thinking of modding it? This person has done it, gave it a good refresh even down to replacing the SMC with 3.5mm TRS connectors.

Hi,

I have an original HE-6 6-screw, which is currently my most resolving headphone. I’m interested in comparing its performance to the new Arya Stealth. I never heard an Arya but many say that its resolution is equivalent to Sennheiser HD800, which I do have. IMO, HD800 is less resolving than an HE-6, so I’m not sure how the Arya Stealth would fit in that lineup.

If you have experience with these headphones, what is your opinion on Arya Stealth resolution in comparison to HE-6?

1 Like

I got all three hahaha, Tbh The Arya is quite less resolving than both the HE6 (mine is 4 Screw Early Production) and the HD800, though they are still very excellent in their price category,

Hi, What is your current favourite setup on the HE-6? and why? I’m currently owning the Jotunheim 2 powered by the Ares II, they sound fantastic, tho I’m curious with all the different amps and dacs you got, what your opinion is on the best chain for them

3 Likes