Hifiman HE6Se V2

I think if you don’t plan on buying a better dac or amp anytime soon then don’t get a HE-6. You will be better off with an Ananda or LCD-X. The sound you can get out of the HE-6seV2 is on par with stuff in the 2k range. That’s why it’s so special if properly powered.

1 Like

For not a lot of money (compared to the higher end tube amps) the Lyr3 with a warmer sounding more holographic tube was pretty good, or for a bit more, the iFi Pro iCAN were both very enjoyable for my preferences with the Ananda. Especially the Pro iCAN with its XBASS correction system and two tube modes. Again this is all preference.

5 Likes

Anandas lasted a whole 3 days in my house. I kept an unmodded HE6se for a couple of weeks. Definitely more potential and enjoyment out of the HE6se but I didn’t want to mod it at the time. Sure, Ananda would be decent for a beginner but I would only recommend it for those who know what they want…which generally isn’t a beginner :joy:

3 Likes

I thought the ananda was absolutely safe. That was my biggest issue with it: it simply didn’t amaze me in any way, nor did it disappoint. To me, that’s perfect for a beginner in this price range. It’s a very good middle ground to spring from. I don’t think it requires any specific preferences at all. But can let the user think “oh I would love more X”

It’s a no hassle great headphone that lets someone learn. Blessing 2 dusk is the same way for iems. Just generically good.

What preferences do you think the ananda requires?

Someone who wants a cleanish, boring, almost sterile sound. I found comfort to be average to below average due to the lack of swivel. Generally a beginner will start with some type of schiit stack or unrefined SS stack which makes me a shudder a little.

That’s exactly the point. If you pick something more colored in a direction that happens not to mesh well with a beginners preferences, it’s not a good thing.

And yes, a beginner is likely to have a “value” stack from schiit, topping, SMSL or similar. Is there another headphone that will sound as good as the ananda on any of those stacks?

What would your beginner recommendation be?

I’m so far removed from looking at those budgets that I honestly can’t give you a great answer. I have no idea what I would consider “good enough” as a beginner. At the beginning of my audio journey, plenty of things were “good enough” so I’m sure Ananda would be fine. However, with my current knowledge, Ananda would miss the mark for me.

3 Likes

haha. nice flex. but in all seriousness, when I’m asked by friends for some advice on “beginner” gear I’m kind of stumped, because I simply just wouldn’t want to listen to anything in the entry-level price bracket anymore. HD600? I guess? and an Atom? There’s certainly nothing wrong with a basic setup like that, but you can’t unhear the higher-level tiered gear, amirite?

1 Like

I think the best beginner and probably best value headphone at the moment is the Drop He-X4. It’s really hard to beat the sound quality at only $130 USD. The Ananda is just fine but probably should be cheaper at this point. Also, you may like the LCD X more, if you you are willing to go up to 1K.

2 Likes

I would not suggest the Lyr 3. I had one and the amp would shut itself off with lower bass notes. Hans Zimmer or OST for the 1992 Dracula will cause this. Or if you play video games, the shotgun in RE4 always caused the lyr 3 to shut off.

Sorry if it came off as a flex but it’s truly not. I started with DT770’s back in high school…2005-2006 so the feeling of being a beginner just isn’t that close to me lol. I don’t have the time nor the interest to play around in the 100-500 range.

But to get back to HE6sev2, it’s definitely for someone who knows a bit of what they want and are willing to invest in a good chain. However, I’d argue that a good chain is essential to any headphone so hopefully it’s not a huge change to add on the he6se

I just sold my Ananda a few weeks ago on reddit, and had a pretty hard time getting $500 for it, and it was mint. I think these have lost a bit of value in the last year. At $500 I think they’re a really good value in the mid-tier, and as others have pointed out it’s an excellent tool for figuring out where you want to go from there.

2 Likes

no, I was totally in agreement with you! I just thought it was funny if you misunderstood the tone :slight_smile:

This isn’t for me. I have heard and don’t like the LCD X. I would put myself in the “intermediate camp” at this point. Haven’t jumped to the high end (meaning above arya, and similarly priced stacks) but fully understand why people would.

I think this is a really good point. What I would love to know is what is the “cheapest” thing that would get your approval now.

I honestly feel the same way about some of the stuff below my comfortable price point. Sundara sits as the only headphone I recmmend there, and then only if you put some power into your amping.

I mentioned the LCD X because you can get it new for 1100 or open box for less, so it’s about 500 cheaper than the Aryas. If you are really going for just value and sound quality then the Monoprice M1570 are going for under 300USD on ebay now. I would suggest to just keep the Anandas and get an Elex or OG Clear.

The cheapest headphones that have my approval are Sony CD900st, Senn HD600 (older versions), Genesis G (ETA headphone that’s more of a DIY/modded headphone), HE6sev2, and maybe LCD-2pf (mostly for nostalgia, my first “high end” headphone).

My list of headphones all have caveats though. Sony - must like asian/kpop/jpop. It does best with this genre. HD600 - requires a really good setup in front. HE6se - same as HD600. Genesis G - must be willing to deal with the DIY-ness of it. LCD-2pf - must be ok with the weight.

My experience over the years tells me there’s no perfect headphone, especially in the beginner/under $1k range. However, if there are certain priorities you have and are willing to overlook some weaknesses, then there are some gems out there that are really enjoyable and doesn’t break the bank (at least for the headphone piece).

1 Like

I have headphones that I like way more than the anandas.

I just think Anandas are fantastic starting headphones for new people if they are in budget. Perfect options for people who haven’t realized their own preferences yet.

4 Likes

It’s worth trying again if you haven’t heard the latest revision. It’s totally listenable right out of the box now, and a pretty nice, relaxed listen IMO

arya’s open box are actually like 1200, so they’re pretty darned close in price