HOLO Audio - Official Thread

I got a Spring 1 KTE

1 Like

@guitarsam87 how do you like your spring2?
Which level is it and what other dacs have you had in the past?

Hi Earmuff. This is Level One. I started off with Schiit Modi, then J-Labs, the Cyan DAC/Amp, now the Holo Spring 2 Level 1.

2 Likes

Just posting some pics of the May

14 Likes

Stop that. Please.

My wallet is begging you.

4 Likes

Zs May Review

1 Like

Is this guy using a $4,500 dac with a $300 headphone amp? Maybe not the best combo.I have the Spring KTE and compared to my other Dac there is a pretty good difference on my 2 channel. Biggest soundstage Ive heard in my 2 ch. setup and my other Dac is twice the price. I watched the video until he started ragging on it so maybe I need to watch the rest.

4 Likes

The 789 is clinical and aggressive, but robbing a dac of stage is never something I have heard it blamed for. To be dead honest, while it would have been better to use better amps, I hardly think the 789 invalidates the test. Later on in the video he uses it on a QES reference amp as well, but can’t abx on it because he can’t balance dac signals with something else

1 Like

Is he a reviewer, or an audio entertainment channel?

3 Likes

Yes

[20 characters].

8 Likes

Like his reviews or not, he is giving his subjective take on gear and has absalutely massive amounts of experience.

2 Likes

I have a completely different experience with the May… and I was using essentially a 789 on steroids amp (HPA4) … I’ve been led astray by Zeos when I was first getting into the hobby a couple of times… it’s almost a right of passage at this point, ha! But yeah, all the more reason to find people that align more with your preferences to better understand how a piece of kit will fit in your life and possibly how much you “May” like it … everyone has biases and opinions, it’s navigating those to find what best works for you!

13 Likes

Unfortunately in youtube-land that is not always the case.

Everyone has to make their own determination about whether someone is in fact giving a genuine opinion or instead just furthering an agenda.

5 Likes

That’s true in life, not just youtube-land…

6 Likes

And people on this forum are any different? Everyone has and angle. Be that pushing affiliate links, trying to sell cans at a store they own, or even just flat out expectation bias. Plus, what does he gain by recommending people dont buy something?

2 Likes

FWIW as the owner of a $5000 DAC (not a Holo May), I can absolutely tell you it would not be worth it to use it with a 789 amp.

I have to ask the question who with a $300 amp even considers a $5K DAC, so what’s the point of reviewing it in that setup. You cannot ever hear a DAC in isolation, you can only hear it’s effect on a system.
The fact of the matter is, it plays to Z’s audience to say expensive DAC’s aren’t worth it. It’s what they want to hear.

Now pair it with a $3000+ amp, and TOTL Headphones, and I’d argue it has at least as much impact on the overall sound as the amp does if not more.
I’d also suggest that trying in one $3000 amp/headphone isn’t sufficient to review it properly, synergy is a thing.

6 Likes

Loyal patreon subscribers.

But hey I really like his reviews as he is a very entertaining person. I just think that if he used the Dac with other TOTL equipment that maybe the review would of been different. On my headphone setup the Dac changes are more subtle but with my reference 2 ch. setup the sound differences are massive. But then again maybe my years of experience with how my 2 ch. is setup helps me pick out differences when I put something new in the chain. I have a hell of a time comparing stuff when just switching back and forth quickly.if I listen to a component for a couple weeks then make a change the sound differences for me are much easier to point out and maybe if he did that he might of liked the Dac more, maybe not.

4 Likes

So Zeos had it sent to him by some patrons or something. He didnt ask for it apparently.

I watched the review and whatever. Just makes me realize even more that he ain’t a guy I look for for advice my own equipment purchases. I can hear differences in DACs without trying too hard so…

11 Likes

OH! Oh! Guys… I got a chance to demo the Lamborghini Aventador. But honestly, I can’t tell the difference between this and a Toyota Camery. I ran the lowest grade gas on both as well as the cheapest touring tires I could find, just to make it a fair comparison, and… yep. I mean, one looks prettier, sure, but I honestly just can’t tell the difference.

16 Likes

Based on this he should never need to review a dac on his show again. It’ll will lessen his workload and give him more time to do those unboxing videos and watch anime. I’m pro anime but meh about his unboxings ( he lacks the chair ).

6 Likes