Jazz Music Discussion

Oh wow … OK, well I had about 15 years jump on you … great guys.

Great to find this thread. Just listening to Trilok Gurtu’s The Glimpse. Didn’t see him mentioned on the thread, so thought I’d recommend this recording. One of his best

2 Likes

Never heard of this! Will check it out.

Cool. Sounds good on my Elex. Something with speed and punch to capture the percussion

Two nice EPs from William Chernoff in 2021: “Quartet Reunion” and “12th Street Quintet”. Nice mainstream tunes from a young musician

1 Like

Would like to join this discussion forum and share some of my favourite albums.

Pat Metheny Group - We Live Here
Very sentimental album for me. My dad would cradle me as a baby and play this album in front of his Avalon Radians. Pat Metheny on guitar and Lyle Mays on the piano is an absolute treat. Was also lucky enough to meet Pat Metheny in person a couple of years ago. Favourites on the album for me are:

• Here to Stay
  • And Then I Knew
  • Stranger in Town
3 Likes

Tuesday - quiet morning in the office. Cloudy sky. Monday was President’s day. What to listen to? Tried British R&B playlist. Too predictable. Glad I decided to follow my instincts and thirst for vital information.

Been a while since I posted here.
I’m surprised no one has mentioned Sonny Rollins. Absolutely love “The Bridge”.
funny story, I went to HS near the Brooklyn and Williamsburg bridges, would walk across to the city, and occasionally used to see this guy playing Saxophone. Being young and stupid never spent much time listening…
Yeah, Sonny Rollins, or that’s what someone said much later.

Way back in 2018 I mentioned not appreciating Keith Jarret’s The Koln Concert. at the advice of folks here I did get a copy and ‘forced’ myself to listen. well forced is an exaggeration as I found it very interesting and listen to it from start to finish now and really like it. Thanks guys!

6 Likes

I just “re” discovered this group. I had forgotten about them, until Roon Radio surfaced them again. I am appreciating them even more this time. In most trios, the piano leads and is supported by the bass and drums, with obligatory solos by them. In this case, I get the impression that each instrument has equal billing, and they all support each other equally. I am inspired to do a deeper dive into the Alboran Trio’s discography.

Alboran Trio review

I recently had the pleasure of hearing Gilad Hekselman live @ Village Vanguard, playing with Shai Maestro & Eric Harland (two of my favorites!), and the performance was nothing short of MAGIC. Check out his new album “Far Star” - it’s spectacular!

4 Likes
2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation! I have not listened a lot to this kind of jazz, but this album was awesome and funky :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Awesome video! I’m a big fan of Bob and Nir Felder.

1 Like

That’s a great album! Big fan of Shai Maestro and Harland too!

1 Like

I’m a big fan of jazz guitar, and I recently bought two albums on Bandcamp, which I think are exceptional. The first one by Jure Pukl features guitarist Charles Altura which I had the pleasure to hear a couple of times in NYC. The second one is by guitarist Gabriel Vicéns which I also had the pleasure of seeing with his band in NYC back in 2020, right before the pandemic. I highly recommend these two records. Great sound and excellent performance.

Jure Pukl - Broken Circles
Gabriel Vicéns - The Way We Are Created

3 Likes

@czuba Recently saw Medeski playing in John Zorn’s new Electric Masada at Big Ears. Killer.

3 Likes

One of the pleasure of this hobby is to revisit great recordings of the past. Opie Bellas is a jazz vocalist who had a great initial album, but haven’t heard much from her lately. It is one of my favorites in a favorite genre. True emotion, well recorded.

515p7fYfGpL.SS500

2 Likes

Was looking on Qobuz track info at work (yeah right, what am I doing at work looking at Qobuz track info???) on Vital Information, and came across “All Star Group Steps Ahead” which I appear to have never heard. This is pretty nice.

1 Like

ON Qobuz, I was browsing the new releases and listened to most of this rather nice - but sparsely documented album. After doing a bit of research, I found that the primary artist of The Sorcerers is “Neil Innes”. None of the Neil Innes (that I know from Bonzo Dog Band, the Ruttles, Monty Python) children is a junior. I wonder if perhaps a grandson.