Last chance for an Eddie Current amp - EC Studio B

The EC “Studio B” amp will have a limited run. This is a headphone/speaker amp running 300B tubes. It’s my understanding that this is basically a (slightly updated) EC Studio Jr amplifier. Someone correct me if that’s inaccurate.

“Responding to the interest in the Studio Jr, we have formed a pre-order list for a special Studio B headphone amplifier using the remaining inventory, which will be a very limited run. Once production is confirmed, the order will require a deposit with the expected fulfillment date announced.”

Further info in the link provided.

https://eddiecurrent.com/

10 Likes

How much is it expected to sell for?

2 Likes

$3200 to $3600, I believe. Best to inquire with Craig via the info on the EC site.

3 Likes

Is it tho? A couple of items immediately stand out:

1. The puny power supply compared to the original, this is not the place to make cuts.
  2. Lack of a 6SN7 input tube
  3. Lack of output tube heater switch.
  4. High frequency heaters?(surprise there’s no mention)

The magic of the original were the high frequency heaters, if EC can confirm the same are found here then it may be a good buy. Still it’s more a cut down Balancing Act than an upgrade.
It looks more like a Studio Jr 300B and SBAF is using the BA for marketing purposes.

2 Likes

Don’t shoot the messenger. I’m just relaying the info.

So… Ok. Maybe? I don’t know. Once more info is available, we’ll see. I’m unsure what all the differences are between a BA and Studio Jr anyway. This doesn’t look exactly like either one. I’m just letting people know.

1. Without knowing the specs of the transformer or amp topology, it’s a bit early to say one way or another.
  2. There are quite a few other types of tubes that sound just as good, often for less. Let’s face it, the 6SN7 well ran dry years ago.
  3. See number 1.
  4. See number 1.

Sounds like someone has a serious grudge against SBAF? Not that I care, honestly. I’ve got a few gripes myself. However, EC has made some of the best headamps I’ve ever owned, and it would be a shame if you schiit all over it this early just because you’re butthurt over the forum this news came from. I’m not trying to be a Richard, I’m just saying.

I don’t know, maybe I’m taking the tone of your post wrong.

2 Likes

Not sure what I said to make you think I’ve got any sort of gripe, it’s alright to ask questions to clarify the scope of a product isn’t it? I only care about facts and empirical observations.
The facts are this is an amp being sold on dude trust me as it’s surprisingly lacking in any sort of spec whatsoever from a site priding itself on measurements and objectiveness and the initial pitch feels intentionally vague. Why launch a new amp with just a price tag? I think it was Jason who said to reveal a product only when it’s ready for shipping…still this is boutique.

P.S. nothing against EC, I’d love to own a Tribute Studio for a bit and almost puled the trigger a couple of times.

4 Likes

Ok, I get you. It’s 3:30 am here, and insomnia is kicking my butt. Sorry.

I asked for more info on it btw, so once I get an answer I’ll update the post.

On a side note, I’m not sure I want to own a 300b amp. I’m sure new production tubes sound good and all, but they are still hideously expensive. NOS ones are FK U kind of money. Still, it seems that is just the way of top end tube amps nowadays - the glass costs more than the iron they get plugged into.

5 Likes

I know how you feel about 300B and other popular output tubes. It would be easier if one got the right pair of 300B for the start and not have to buy multiple brands for the goldilocks one. I know which I’d have and listening to them right now with the Utopia: Elrog 300B. Still it’s the reason why I don’t like modern TOTL tube amps, the tubes are just too expensive, sometimes half the cost of the amp for the really good stuff and stock usually gimps the sound. They’re included because they have to be there in most cases not because of good synergy etc. and it’s mostly Chinese copies.
I don’t think there anyone who sells a tube amp with top shelf tubes from the get go. Preferences and such but still, it hides the true cost of the amp. For a WA33 it’s another 2.5K for a KR setup…outch.

6 Likes

So it’s confirmed, it’s a Studio Jr in a BA similar(not identical) chassis, nothing fancy but there has to be a reason for the upped price(maybe the chassis)? The Jr was sold for 2800$ according to the EC website.

4 Likes

Its interesting that the conversation went the way of tube costs. I saw @ProfFalkin post this and, reflexively, I almost signed up for it. Then I thought about the 300B costs…

Not to off topic things too much but I think that is the genius of Donald North coming up with the Starlett, that things sounds good stock and if you want to roll its pretty cheap. I bought all kinds of NOS tubes just for kicks and spent around $200 - whats a NOS 300B cost? My current favourite tube complement in it is a total of $50.

Not saying that the Starlett is better than whatever 300B you want to compare it to but I think it may be a steal at current pricing. The only potentially crazy expensive tube on it could be the 5AR4 which can run you to just around 1k depending upon what you are after. I got a NOS Mullard coming that will be the most expensive tube I will try with it but even that wasnt break the bank.

Ive even noticed prices going up in the last month on certain tubes, its getting to the point that people are going to have to design amps that use more common tubes (hopeful), companies are going to have to make better new production tubes (doubtful) as really good tube amps are going to be out of the reach of even audiophiles who have some financial means behind them.

So as @M17XR2B stated correctly, the true cost of a tube amp is hidden in the nebulous nature of the tube market. Gives me great pause when considering an eventual upgrade, you almost feel like you should buy tubes now for an amp you may never actually buy! Crazy stuff.

7 Likes

I think that’s called “hedging”. :grin:

3 Likes

I finally managed to get a short while on my Studio B and I can absolutely say that I am very much enjoying what this amplifier seems capable of. The very first thing I tested for was hum or hiss and I am pleased to say mine has none that I can detect on the HP outputs or the speaker output.
ZMF Autuer are the HP of choice tonight and the first few Jazz Vocal tracks I have enjoyed make me feel like the amp was built for them.I look forward to seeing what the rest of my stable sounds like on the Eddie Current Studio B.

Gratuitous pic:

10 Likes

Very nice! I am very excited to get mine in! Making me jealous

2 Likes

Suh-weeeet!!! Even more excited for mine in a few weeks! About how much does the big unit weigh?

@Lars I did not weigh them but the Amp is probably around 20-25 lb and the power supply 15 lb. Also, I am very much enjoying the watt or 2 that the amplifier produces off the speaker taps, Omega and Decware speakers both singing lovely.

I am not qualified to speak to the technicalities of the amp as those more experienced folks tend to do, but I know what I enjoy and I own and have used enough varied equipment to know that the quality of the amplifier is evident in the sound signature. ZMF Autuer, and HD800S both play exceptionally well off my current source & chain.

I will repeat that I am getting ZERO hiss/noise across the volume knob as long as the switches are in the correct position, if not you will hear a nasty surprise coming out of your HP’s so beware and take your time to flip everything where it is SUPPOSED to be before plugging in, it only takes 2 seconds.(the amp cannot be faulted for user error)

There is excellent range on the volume knob, it has a positive feel, it is located logically and mine is smooth and mounted evenly. All my tube mounts are mounted evenly so nothing looks cock-eyed. My switches are black and i like that very much. All connectors are mounted solidly and are of good quality. Screws were tight, be careful if you have to unscrew any of them, use a good quality screw driver and apply good pressure, they will strip but are common and easy to replace if you had to. There is a tiny bit of roughness and sharpness across an edge or 2 of the metal chassis of both pieces so don’t rub your fingers hard under the edges you will more than likely require stitches for the nasty slice you will earn yourself. If you have to pop open the covers and work on the innards be gentle w/the plugs, when you disconnect them the locking snaps will likely break and then only force will keep your wiring together. The umbilical chord works well, good length, positive locking screw. I used my own power chord and I left the feet alone, I like them and have NO microfonics at all so I saw no reason to replace them.
The power amp will get hot on top and in front of the rectifier. Make sure you provide clearance and air-flow, do not place ANY foreign objects on it. I can feel the transformer vibration on the chassis but have NOT noticed or experienced any negative effects on SQ. Time will tell as the components burn in and settle down if parts need any attention.

The sound signature w/ my Western Electric 300B’s has been applicable across many different genre’s, could not be more pleased. My Electro Harmonix sounded nice but added a little extra special something something to pop, rap and EDM which was a very pleasant surprise, the bloom in the bottom end was very welcome.

That’s the extent of what i can add to this conversation with only 16 or so hours on the unit and no time yet to experiment w/ multiple DAC’s, speakers, HP’s, cables and tubes.

1 Like

Heya Nick! Thanks for such a detailed and humorous reply and review - above and beyond the call of duty - much appreciated!

Glad to hear that about the weight - I was just concerned if this was one of those 80 pound behemoths that I can’t really lift! I was going to buy an Ampsandsound Nautilus till I saw what it weighed. I’m 70 years old with back issues! I can see that the main box and the power supply are big, but I’ve got a lot of room on this big ‘L’ shaped desk I’ve got, so there’s more than enough ventilation room - I have high ceilings so the heat rises up from the tubes, and none of my gear warms up any of my rooms.

I am somebody who reads the instructions at least twice before I do anything with new gear, so no worries about setting switches!

As a non-handy person who knows less than nothing about electronics, I would never, ever ‘pop open the covers and work on the innards’ - I’d send it back to Craig, first! In this case, I needn’t be concerned with screws, right?

Hiss on a noise floor doesn’t bother me that much as I have tinnitus and have built-in hiss anyway! Sometimes it’s not noticeable at all, sometimes it’s very noticeable, but I’m used to it.

Once it’s up and running, I shall wet the tip of my finger with my tongue before touching the metal should I need to do so, so as to avoid an ouchie….:tired_face:

I just acquired a Chord DAVE and an M Scaler - I used the DAVE alone for the past week and just put the M Scaler in the chain yesterday. I have never heard any audio component do what the M Scaler can do. It’s pure audio magic. I can put on headphones and listen and I could draw a picture of the room and just where each instrument and vocalist is, with pinpoint accuracy, width, depth, and height. The sound stage becomes more a theater stage with all the depth and space involved. And everything is just so PRESENT. I was listening to a song yesterday and at one point a piano came in; I JUMPED! It was like suddenly a piano instantly appeared right behind my shoulder! But when you upsample a 44.1kHz red-book CD to 706kHz, that’s whatcha get! You need a Chord DAC to get the 706kHz, but it will take any DAC up to something like 384kHz. With cheap gear, apparently this doesn’t make much difference, but with quality stuff, look out below! And this is through my Quicksilver amp - it should Crazy Eddie when he arrives!!

Do you listen mostly to pop, hip-hop, and EDM? If I had to pick a favorite genre, it would probably be post-punk/indie (I used to be in the music business from ’74 - ’84 when all this started), but I also love punk, hard rock, good quality metal and roots/dub reggae, and iconoclasts like Frank Zappa. I was a blues fan as a teenager but then lost interest in it! And I don’t do country and I don’t get much closer to jazz than the Grateful Dead. I do like modern pop, hip-hop, and EDM, I’m just not exposed to that much of it.

Have a great 4th of July!!! Lars….

4 Likes

Lars, :+1: i think it will be a good fit for you, my finger is healing, i managed to remove the Small melted piece of plastic off the power supply, there was no permanent damage to my HP after i switched between SE & balanced and i now fully understand what each switch does. The one screw is still buggarred but i can deal with it and hopefully the connector i broke will hold so i don’t have to send it back to Craig, he used large well padded boxes that cost plenty to ship.

My preference is actually mostly vocal jazz and blues, thus i really was surprised that other genre’s played well. Lastly, since I can’t tell the difference between macro and micro dynamics, good timbre or poor, proper spatial recreation or any of the other 100 terms used to describe music I look forward to you giving us a solid technical breakdown later on. :muscle:
Happy Independence day and happy listening always. :hugs:

1 Like

Hi Nick! Same to you!

I’m glad your finger is on the mend.

I wear in-ear hearing aids; just got those - I used to have to listen to headphones without my hearing aids as the mics were situated above my ear, not where the headphones’ speakers were pointed. Now I am totally spoiled and will no longer listen to headphones without those in-ear jobs, even though I have to send those in for adjustment and will be without them for a week or two. I just hope I get them back before Eddie gets here! My point being that what I hear probably bears no resemblance to what somebody with good hearing would hear, so those terms like the ones you use below are kind of meaningless to me in that regard. I just worry about what sounds good to ME!

BTW, I was telling Craig that I liked the clever name for his company; I’d thought that Eddie Current was the fellow who made the amps! “What a cool name for an electrical engineer to have”, I thought. Then I was doing a search on something and saw that ‘eddy current’ is an electrical engineering term - went right over MY head! But what I loved was that Craig told me he chose the ‘Eddie’ spelling of the name as a tip of the hat to one of my biggest role models growing up, wise-ass Eddie Haskell from ‘Leave It to Beaver’!! I need to print out a little picture of THAT Eddie and stick it on the amp somehow!

And forget what I said about DAVE and M Scaler yesterday - I was playing it yesterday and it was dropping out for a second or two every once in a while. Then I remembered that there is an Audio MIDI setting on my iMac that has to be set to the appropriate kHz, and I still had it set for 88.1 kHz (DAVE does some upsampling on its own); the buffer was having issues! I changed the setting to 708kHz for the M Scaler and gave it a listen and realized that I’d been driving a Ferrari the previous night but didn’t take it out of 1st gear; after that re-set, that Ferrari was flying down the open road and it’s WAAAAAY better than it even was to begin with - now this is aural crack…. “Just one more song” “Just one more song” for about 3 hours. Finally I had to go to sleep around 3:30am! This just takes you through the music, around it, inside it, outside it, and it takes the music through, around, and inside you, too, until it’s like a ‘rabbit hole’ of sound. I like.

Cheers!! Lars.

3 Likes