Monolith Balanced Headphone Amplifier and DAC with THX AAA Technology

I dont have the Enog to compare to. I do notice a difference in sound when using the RME ADI-2 DAC headphone output vs the RME into the Monolith THX-AAA amp. It’s different how it portrays the upper mid-range and lower treble to me – which was most noticeable when using the HE560 headphone.

2 Likes

Interesting, I notice the difference mostly with my HE-560. But I do hear a little bit with all other headphones. So it must be more with the processing of the 788 then with the incoming DAC :thinking: Thanks for confirming that I wasn’t going crazy, even though some might still debate that :joy:

1 Like

I should run some measurements using EARS to see if it’s noticeable in a sine sweep or not. I’ve run that a few times using the Elex and Elegia between the RME and the Loxjie P20 and noticed differences in sound. Amir still has my Monolith THX-AAA amp right now so I can’t confirm or deny anything I hear accurately right now.

3 Likes

I would be curious to see what the measurements portray because it is noticeable to my ears. If measurements say nothing definitive, maybe I am going crazy :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Okay folks, my video review is being posted today. I thought I would drop a link here for you all and also post a few thoughts for you all to consider. Bare in mind the video is quite lengthy so be prepared for a lot ramblings :joy:

Anywho, I purchased the 788 with my hard earned cash and no one influenced me on my thoughts or statements in the review.

For transparency, I do not use equalization very often. I like a pure and true sound, yeah you can call me a purist. I dabble with eq presets every now and then but I do my listening on stock settings. I believe that if you have to eq a headphone to make it sound good or to meet your preference then it isn’t for you or there is something wrong with the setup and synergy is lacking. I like to hear things how the manufacturer or designer intended for it to sound. But I understand and respect the other viewpoint, to each their own.

Let’s hits some of the basics and you can watch the video for the details.

Excellent build quality, simple design and plenty of inputs and adequate outputs, lacks balanced line out.

Over current protection works a little too well, can be annoying on SE output, just make sure to pause music before swapping between outputs.

Clunky menu and buttons with a slow digital volume knob, a slight learning curve.

Very good equalization tools but can be cumbersome to set.

Sound is the darkest background I have ever experienced with a clean and clear, analytical sound that isn’t boring but engaging. DAC and ADC filters do not have a large impact on sound, most times don’t seem to effect at all.

Dirac is amazing for gaming and movies but not as good for music.

Plenty of power for every and all of my headphones, from sensitive iem to hard to drive planar.

I am totally in love with the Monolith THX AAA 788 and highly recommend it. I can see why the term end game is being used for this DAC/Amp and I agree. For the $500 price point this is totally spot on and is a steal for lower price. Of all the gear I have, the 788 beats it all hands down, no competition. This is my new benchmark DAC/Amp for all reviews. Yes, this is my endgame (for the moment) :grin:, wife rolls her eyes :joy:

6 Likes

Great review! Your THX788 needs more purple though… :wink:

4 Likes

I like that look a lot. Was it hard to tint the screen?

1 Like

Really easy, just take it apart and put the film over the screen…put back together done!

1 Like

Was notified on my YouTube channel that I said megawatt instead of milliwatts. Sorry for the mistake. It is a powerful amp but not an amp powerful enough to power the entire neighborhood :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

BTW thank you for the kind words and watching my review.

2 Likes

It is a really good review. It must have taken plenty of work.

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words.

If I had a camera team, writers, post production editors, pre production set creators then it wouldn’t have taken near as long and as much work lol.

I did put in a fair amount of time with the 788 before doing the review. I would say I have listened and used it for a fair amount of time, it’s been about 5 weeks since I received it.

1 Like

Still, I’ve seen you put out quite a bit of stuff. You’re certainly very dedicated and it shows. I for one appreciate how much work you put into your reviews. Thanks for educating me on some of the gear that you have.

2 Likes

You are very welcome, it is my pleasure. Thank you for your words of encouragement. That is my goal of the channel to help viewers learn about audio gear in a simple and basic way.

1 Like

did you ever get around to modding the inputs to outputs? from what you posted it seems like you could just make an adapter cable that plugs into the balanced output yes?

2 Likes

Hello and welcome @slappomatt. That’s a fine username you have there.

2 Likes

Did this go on sale on Black Friday? I meant to check but it slipped my mind.

1 Like

I don’t believe it did, I was also interested in getting it at a discounted price.

Hey guys if any of you have been considering a THX amp offering for your amp kit SMSL SP200THX headphone Amp

I purchased this amplifier but returned it. I found it too analytical and cold. At the same time, I was comparing it to the Simaudio Moon 230HAD and iFi Micro iDSD black label. These two amps are much warmer and to my tastes much more enjoyable to listen to. I did the testing with my friend who had opposite thoughts. He much preferred the Monolith’s neutral sound and found the other 2 amps coloured.

5 Likes