Corona-virus (Covid-19) Discussion

It looks like Munich High End 2020 has been officially cancelled due to Coronvirus concerns. https://www.highendsociety.de/high-end-44.html

I was personally really looking forward to this show so it’s a pretty big bummer but also catching Coronavirus isn’t on my bucket list. However, this can lead into a bigger talk into just how this is going to affect the industry going forward.

We’re already seeing stock shortages from quite a few of our vendors who source a part or two from China and it doesn’t look like the situation is improving anytime soon. If that’s the case going forward, there could be a desolate wasteland where headphones used to be found.

5 Likes

Oh what a disappointment.
No surprise though. I expected the decision a bit later.

4 Likes

That’s sad to hear
Honestly when all this thing about the Coronavirus started I was sure were more about the media alarming us than the true threat is becoming now.

2 Likes

Bummer. But I am glad they are giving plenty of notice to exhibitors and attendees. Last minute cancellations can have disastrous consequences. And there is always next year.

5 Likes

We were really looking forward to this one. And looking forward to hanging out with @MartinTransporter. Hopefully this is all sorted out for next year!

3 Likes

Well my D90 Arrived already so that is really impressive considering I ordered it Wednesday around 11pm!

It shipped from Hong Kong so naturally It’s fairly quick to the US West Coast aka the best coast j/k sorta of.

In all seriousness knowing what is going on in China right now, I am praying for anyone affected by or that has family that has been affected by the virus a swift recovery, please stay healthy and safe.

I am slightly concerned on the safety of bringing the package into my house right away with our little one. So it may sit for the weekend to play it extra safe. Probability not even necessary and if I was a single man it would be plugged in right now.

I went to the CDC website which says the virus should not be able to live on packages but they are also not 100% With their knowledge around the virus at this time.

Directly from the CDC

Q: Am I at risk for COVID-19 from a package or products shipping from China ?

A: There is still a lot that is unknown about the newly emerged COVID-19 and how it spreads. Two other coronaviruses have emerged previously to cause severe illness in people (MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV). The virus that causes COVID-19 is more genetically related to SARS-CoV than MERS-CoV, but both are betacoronaviruses with their origins in bats. While we don’t know for sure that this virus will behave the same way as SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV, we can use the information gained from both of these earlier coronaviruses to guide us. In general, because of poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces, there is likely very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures. Coronaviruses are generally thought to be spread most often by respiratory droplets. Currently there is no evidence to support transmission of COVID-19 associated with imported goods and there have not been any cases of COVID-19 in the United States associated with imported goods. Information will be provided on the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) website as it becomes available.”

8 Likes

Oof. I understand your concern there. We’ve been going back and forth about this same issue at work because we’re receiving ridiculous amount of shipments from China, everyday. I can only hope for the best at this point because the other option would be just stop working…

2 Likes

Is it still in DHL bag, If you’re worried you can oxidizing agent on the exterior of the package in your garage? Just wear gloves. It will be double boxed once you get past this step. Just leave the exterior box in the garage.

2 Likes

I’m less worried about the exterior of the box and more so about the actual interior box and unit. Honestly this concern is likely not really valid, but with a baby at home I can’t be to careful in my mind.

1 Like

I understand the baby issue we were the same way, mine are now 10 and 14 years old. I would suspect the unit is at least two weeks or older in the interior box. You might find a date code on outer box

2 Likes

That’s a good idea, after the baby goes to bed I will go to the garage and take a look!

UV light, sunlight etc has been found to kill virus’s…I would use some gloves, open the box outside and let it get some sun on it etc…and carefully take the unit out of the box and either disinfect and or the sunlight as a precaution…

3 Likes

Agreed. UV exposure is the way to go.

3 Likes

Purge it with fire! BURN! Muahahaaaaa

8 Likes

8 Likes

Here are example oxidizers https://www.merckvetmanual.com/pharmacology/antiseptics-and-disinfectants/oxidizing-agents

2 Likes

Hi Marcello,

I can definitely understand your concerns.

For myself do to my severe autoimmune disease, I have to be very careful of all viruses etc. so I have a UV light handheld bar that I use on all packages I receive, I also have a UV box for cellphones or smaller items. I don’t know if it really works but I still use it every time just to ‘try’ and be safe with my condition.

If I can find the links I’ll post them in an edit.

Take care

Jeremy

6 Likes

I saw a Facebook post from the Axpona show in Illinois in mid-April that they are still moving forward with the show. It will be interesting to see where things are when we get to that point. Even if the show goes on it will be just as interesting to see who shows up on both the dealer and public sides. So much uncertainty still with this whole thing.

It’s really a bummer, especially since in May temperatures are going to be higher and the flu season will have ended (and the CoVID-19 is a bit more powerful flu virus).I really looked forward to attending the show. I’m surprised they decided to cancel it almost three months in advance, when it’s possible that by the end of April we’ll be in a much better situation with a more controlled situation.

1 Like

If you want to get better informed on the virus here is a great article going over the Virus makeup and DNA Science of it. Note this is high level. Area article on ACE inhibitor could be improved https://blogs.plos.org/dnascience/2020/02/20/covid-19-vaccine-will-close-in-on-the-spikes/

The “body” of COVID-19 is basically a genome enveloped in glycoproteins, with a smear of fat and bearing the crown of spikes that inspired the name “coronavirus.”

3 Likes