My vintage gear

Sennheiser HD560 Ovation 1 (Ovation 2 headband)
Sennheiser HD580 Precision v.3
Stax Sr-Lambda (Normal Bias) (x2) /Srd-6sb
Also, Paradigm Studio 20 v.3

image image image image

14 Likes

Excellent post and great pictures.

1 Like

From my past to my present. Incvbvs Elegan.

12 Likes

I owned both the MKIII and Lambda back in the 80’s and loved them.

HD540 Gold 600ohm

HD540 Gold 300ohm

13 Likes

I don’t have many vintage sets anymore but here are a few that I’ve owned.

Fostex T50(v0) 1970s model

Beyerdynamic ET1000

Pioneer Monitor 10

AKG K500

Denon AH-D700 and Denon AH-D900

12 Likes

Very cool collection! I’ve always been curious about the OG T50 and the ET1000. Unicorn headsets lol :laughing:

Stax sr-5 NB/gold (flat cable)

8 Likes

Those two, although are very cool, are a bit behind today’s headphones in performance. The ET1000 especially is not particularly great though it’s not terrible. They had some design faults that ultimately impacted the sound in a negative way. The OG T50 does have a very pleasing midrange response but falls short in both bass and treble responses - these probably perform at the level of the HE-400i/HE-4XX.

Speaking of Unicorn headsets, I’ve briefly owned a Yamaha YH/HP-1000 but they sound absolutely terrible. They weigh as much as a modern planar magnetic headphone (at around 500 grams) with its very inefficient choices in design, though it’s probably because the tiny drivers weigh like 200 grams each. The YH/HP-1 is many times better and is a lot more common.

5 Likes

I’ve never got into vintage planars, but I’ve read the Sansui ss100 Modded and other variations are pretty decent sounding. Now they are pretty expensive though. Basically, I have heard every new totl headphone out today. I haven’t listened with R10, Omega, He60, or He90 yet. I got to listen to the He1 at the last Canjam which was very enjoyable.

1 Like

Spitzer has an sr-x mk3 normal bias that he has updated to pro in his used headphones on his site here:
https://mjolnir-audio.com/projects/

1 Like

Lol I feel like all his headsets have been there for awhile now. Considering that I bought my NB Lambda for $175. I kind of laugh at high priced vintage gear. Not to say anything higher in price isn’t worth it, but I like jumping on deals. I got the HD580 shown above for $80 bucks. Which is insane! The guy basically gave them to me. Maybe one day I’ll come across one… :+1:

I’ve got an HD580 like yours. I bought mine new.

1 Like

Yeah, the thing with vintage planars is that one may want to do some modding. It’s certainly not required per se but it’s fun, and I’ve learned a thing or two about headphone acoustics or really what to expect with a certain sort of schematic. But yes, I agree they are very expensive right now and are not worth it unless if you’re a collector or the headphones can be acquired at a relatively low price.

I haven’t listened with R10, Omega, He60, or He90 yet. I got to listen to the He1 at the last Canjam which was very enjoyable.

I really want to hear all of those.The R10 especially but I’m afraid that I might have too high of an expectation for those.

2 Likes

https://www.head-fi.org/members/davidmahler.56963/

Some more vintage headsets I have had the pleasure of owning below. Cheers!

10 Likes

Now that’s a lot’a headphones.

2 Likes

I’ll admit to my Sennheiser obsession lol :joy:

2 Likes

Moving stuff around

New amp: Recapped Sansui 5000a

Sound: Warm, powerful, engaging!

I was never really a speaker guy until now. These Paradigms are so dynamic! I never really felt slam until now.

Side note: Shout out to my late grandfathers AMERICAN flag. WWII Veteran who fought in Battle of the bulge and lived.

Anyway… I’m really enjoying this setup now, and I am really thinking about vinyl. An OG pressing of Darkside of the moon on vinyl will be glorious! This audio journey never ends! Love/hate :heart::heart::heart:

4 Likes

Also, Stax Sr-404LE coming soon! Snagged them on fleebay. Only 1000 units made (lol everyone says this).

3 Likes

Sansui in it’s prime is very very good. Maybe not the headphone out, but everything else. I’m holding on to a restored AU-919 integrated amp as my just can’t let it go amp.

And I envy the STAX. I’m still checking eBay. There was a poorly displayed SR-007 Mk2 that I had on watchlist. I would have needed new earpads - went for $1358. My plan had been to try and snipe at $1200, but it went over than 2 days before auction ending.

Meanwhile, my wife keeps checking some gem auctions - the floor has dropped on quality tanzanite and colored diamonds. Luxury goods are a difficult sell. I’m too much of a tightwad.

2 Likes