New Here? This Is The Spot To Introduce Yourself

Since you’re using flac you had to dump iTunes anyway. Or can iTunes handle flac now?

1 Like

No, but perhaps I’d have re-ripped my CDs to Apple Lossless instead of flac had I known iTunes would have kept my ratings.

iTunes can handle ALAC. There are a number of converters that will change FLAC to ALAC and vice versa. (now watch me be caught being wrong, but I can swear I did this a number of time).

Yeah, there are bulk converters, I just checked.
What ever happened to Ogg Vorbis?

EDIT: See below, @Tchoupitoulas found one I know I’ve used.

3 Likes

Yes, here’s a converter I’ve used before: dBpoweramp Music Converter - mp3 converter, FLAC, WAV, AAC & Apple Losslesss. Free 21 day trial, download & convert

5 Likes

You inspired me to play my Andromeda 2020s out of my old Sony MZ-R91 Minidisc player, one of the old portable players and recorders. The sound’s surprisingly good; no hiss, a bit of warmth, really good resolution, separation, and soundstage - not bad for a 20+ year old consumer device!

4 Likes

Foobar will do the conversion too, and it’s free.

But Flac only came up because I’ve ripped several thousand CDs to flac already and @Twinguin advised me that had I used iTunes to rip them to ALAC, it would have replaced my old AAC files and kept my iTunes song ratings.

I use Audirvana for my flac files, so I’m not unhappy about leaving iTunes behind.

2 Likes

Good question.
I insert a CD.
I open iTunes.
iTunes asks if I want to import or not. I don’t. iTunes searched the web and comes back with the CD Title and track names.
I drag n drop with all track names intact. That’s good enough for me. I’ve made a folder and put all ripped Music in it. Then in Audirvana i sync.
I’m actually sorry I mentioned it. Next I won’t tell how I record Tidal.
Vac

2 Likes

Hello and welcome @ampsandsound and @tengaikodoku.

1 Like

I might be able to help you transfer your ratings from iTunes to flac files.

There seems to be a couple ways to get your iTunes ratings into a file. From there I could write a program to read the ratings and update the flac files.

We can talk about it when you get home if you want.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’d keep the Tidal secret to myself. The Music police will be after you for that. :grin:

2 Likes

*iTunes searches not searched.

Right! Not telling…

1 Like

Hello and welcome @Trevor, @BDJohnston and @FelixTheReviewer.

3 Likes

Hello from New Hampshire. Glad to be here.

8 Likes

Welcome. I hope you’ll enjoy.

waves from vermont!

2 Likes

Welcome to the community. Live Free or Die. :muscle:

The New England arm is getting bigger.

2 Likes

Hello to everyone. Glad to be here!!

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @zofo, @Sturosen and @Jeff_21.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Jeff. I’m in my mid-20s and have developed a keen interest in iems since February 2020. All of our family members used to work from home back then and using stereo speakers while working was not an option. After one year, I think I still have a lot to know about the audio related things. I’m excited to be a part of this community and hope to learn a lot from you guys.

6 Likes