RAAL-requisite SR1a - Earfield™ Monitor/Headphone - Official Thread

I now have a pair of Vidar in mono-block configuration driving the SR1a.

The first few tracks I’ve run through this configuration are demonstrating better imaging, an increase in bass level and impact/slam and articulation (a very low-level bass-follower rhythm that was hard to make out before is now very audible) and improved mid-range-through-top-end detail vs. the single unit.

The level of apparent treble also seems lower (which is probably just a psychoacoustic reaction to the greater bass level).

I won’t try and estimate “how much” better this is right now, but it is an audible difference. Enough that is has required another adjustment to my bass-lift EQ (bringing that down further, so down about 1.5 dB from where it started).

But I will say that I was more than happy with the performance with a single Vidar, so that would be an absolutely viable, and very compelling, entry point - and still delivers on driving the SR1a in a manner that has a good chunk of my headphone stable looking very worried right now.

Oh, and the volume dial is still a good way around to the right here … past 12:00 … so there’s plenty of travel available even in this over-powered configuration.

More to come after I get some more time on this configuration …

7 Likes