Recommend ESS Sabre DAC/Amps

No battery, it is powered by the source device via USB C.

2 Likes

How does the Sparrow affect the battery life of your phone? I have my ‘phones on 9-10 hrs/day; I need it to last.

Mark, have your experienced any issues with EMI noise when coupled with a cellphone? I’ve read several reviews that mentioned this with the stock OTG cable.

I really want to hear the mini pro I, and don’t even know why. It might be the aesthetics.

BTW: Did you ever reach any conclusions between your Cambridge and the Vidar?

I have only had it 2 weeks and used it on one hiking trip off a laptop in the AM before I left, and 2-3 hours total on my cell in one day. It is currently hooked up out of my MacMini USB C running into an Asgard 2 as a second system, so I am not using it with my phone enough to give informed comment on the drain on the phone. But the day I used it hiking, the drain compared to normal was not noticeably escalated, although I was not taking many calls etc.

I should note, I do not use Bluetooth at all on my phone, which is itself a drain. I have the MKii version of the Sony Xperia 1, which has the longest lasting battery I have experienced yet in a phone, but I came from iPhones to this. Tidal running through the Sony into the EarMen (I think) utilizes all the fancy rates Tidal gives, like MQA etc. I am not expert on this.

If I remember, the day I used the Sparrow for 2-3 hours, I still had 81% battery at end of the day, which is normal for my usage and this phone. I was running Etymotics that day. I do not ever have to charge in the day and only ever charge on my nightstand overnight.

If you are curious, I’ll do an experiment this weekend and run the Sparrow nonstop through the phone and see what happens. I’ll run the HE400i as an example and see how long I can to get to 50% or so, if it does.

2 Likes

None so far, even with the stock cable. I have noticed some clicks when it first starts up in Tidal but no interference, but otherwise clean as a whistle. As I mentioned to arrakian I will do some experiments this weekend with my phone. In Covid times, I rarely go anywhere! This thing sounds so good even as a desktop DAC that is how I have been using it. I am using it with a non-stock longer USB C though.

I will report back my experiments, but nothing so far in my usage.

2 Likes

Yes, please. I’d like to know what happened.

Thought I’d toss this one caution: don’t get too wrapped up on the DAC chip. The same chip used in different DACs can have vastly different results. It’s a lot about how the design is implemented. I have the W4S DAC previous mentioned, and a Benchmark DAC-3. Both use ESS chips, but are very different DACSs. If you have never listened to a Chord DAC, I’d suggest that you audition one. The Qutest is a dandy device, and can be had in the $1500 range.

@arrakian

5 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. I have been comparing the Sparrow to both the Modi 3+ and Modi MB and I am hard pressed to hear any important qualitative differences with the same amplification and headphones. I do not have a way to switch quickly, so trying to listen through a playlist and then switch and do the same. Within seconds, they all sound really good. Three different types of chips and implementations and what I hear is, well, really clean music! I have always prided myself on the ability to distinguish nuance in acoustic instruments, their materials, etc. But I think with DACs I am determining that function, versatility, and competent implementation are what matter. To me. The amplifier makes exponentially more difference to my ears than a DAC.

In the case of the Sparrow, the value is in the portability and the fact that it can drive good headphones as well as IEMs, and that it processes MQA (controversial as that is). I have been listening to my Eikons through this and it is counterintuitively good that such a powerful headphone can be run off a tiny little device. The DAC in my Sony is excellent, it was a noticeable improvement over the Apple dongle to my ears, but the Sparrow adds amplification power the phone does not have.

So, in short, I agree. I am happy to report on my impressions of the Sparrow, but not in the context of it being ESS etc. I cannot come close to articulating what, if any, “essence” is in the chip.

4 Likes

My phone has a 4000 mAh battery, which I think falls between the iPhone 12 Max at 3687 and Samsung S20 Ultra at 5000.

I have played music non-stop through the Sparrow into a combination of HE400i, Etymotic IEMs, and Sennheiser 6xx all of which reach sufficient volume for my listening. I just received the 6xx this morning and surprised they sound so good through the Sparrow, possibly my favorite of the three. Very balanced, revealing, and very good bass based on comments I have read from others. It is not Eikon level, but good slam and reach, precise.

after 1hour = 93%
1.45 hours = 89%
2 hours = 86%
3:08 hours = 77%
4 hours = 70%

I did not quit any other open apps, WiFi is ON, Bluetooth is OFF.

Gotta stop now, but at 4:10 hours and 69% battery life. This is definitely more than my normal usage but if listening for 2-3 hours/day I am sure my phone would still be above 50% every night.

Hope that helps.

4 Likes

FYI, regarding interference, I used the stock cable all AM, nothing at all. The only thing I get is a click between certain tracks, not all but some, so I suspect it is doing something when the file type changes in the stream…that is above my pay grade technically.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply Mark. I’ve been thinking of buying the Sparrow to use as an external DAC off my laptop and can also use with my phone. Glad you’re not experiencing the dreaded EMI interference.

1 Like

Hello,
I have the Hugo2, and yes it IS dandy! My understanding is the Qutest is a non-portable Hugo, so I guess it’s just as lovely.

I’m not so much hung up on a particular DAC chip, as much as what the DAC manufacturers were doing with them. ESS-based were always harsh to me, and AKM users seemed to put out stuff more to my liking. Now, after hearing the Qudelix, I thought I might take a look around again.

1 Like

Yes, I agree. To me, the analog section was always the key.

1 Like

Thank you. I may have to get this and try it out on a work day.

AKM make nice chips. My new Aurender player has them.

@arrakian

1 Like

Smsl su 9 is another ess 9038 pro chip dac.

2 Likes

Gustard x22 is another ess chip dac. Not a lot of reviews that I’ve found for it yet.

1 Like

Reading some reviews of the x22, and noticed that they referred to AKM chips. So the Gustard might be one of the manufacturers that is scrambling with shortages on AKM chips.

Yeah, I like the Cobalt. It’s a sweet little DAC, but it’s very limited on power. It works well with efficient, low-impedance headphones.

1 Like