Recommended Gear

Well you’ll hear no arguments from me…

3 Likes

PF: Interesting comments. I believe you’ll discover that accuracy/neutrality (in a transducer/‘can’) is a must for music appreciation/interpretation.

Indeed, although the oft heard “as artist intended” is rather ambiguous, tonal accuracy is essential/first step in enjoying the distinctions in every recorded song/album. The capability of gear to honestly (accurately) replicate the sound/music as originally recorded can be ascertained when/if our equipment changes tonality/brightness (or ‘dullness’) from recording-to-recording. If we experience such distinctions in recording quality, the chances of enjoying the record/album/song is amplified considerably.

For example, if I’m listening to an early Stone’s album, I want to hear the era’s technology (or lack thereof) as it does represent authenticity. Many Rolling Stones songs are anything but “warm, or fluid” and that’s what I wish to hear. Accuracy is authenticity. Although we don’t know anything about the original recording -what it sounded like at the mixing booth- we can surmise that if our gear represents it for what it is, I.e. ‘bright’, dull, compressed, ‘bassy’, etc., chances are we are closer to how the music was recorded, as opposed to equipment that replays everything with a ‘warm, fluid/musical’ presentation as surely this suggest a highly ‘colored’ (coloration) sound.

pj

2 Likes

I believe that after 20+ years in audio and the headphone hobby and appreciating music for that entire time, that if i haven’t discovered this holy truth of yours by now, that I probably never will.

The issue I take with your arguments is a fundamental one. All audio equipment provides an interpretation of the music, starting with the equipment the engineer used to mix and master the album, all the way to the gear consumers use. None of it is perfect, and none of it is accurate at reproducing sound “honestly (accurately)”. Further, unless we were there when an album was recorded, and know for sure what the original sound was, that saying you know what the artist intended is a complete farce.

So, if everything is an interpretation, I prefer the kind that sound the most enjoyable to me and my ears. That may mean it doesn’t measure well, or that it might have some distortion to it, or is even completely colored.

So, I don’t fault you for having opinions and preferences. We all do, and they are all different. But your entire post seems rather unaccepting of my preferences or opinions, and also seem to insinuate that they are wrong. It also seems rather condescending.

When we were talking about creating this thread, I mentioned that it should be restricted to recommendations only - discussion should be kept out of it. You post, and my reply are exactly why. Perhaps a moderator could move both to the trash can where they belong, or at least to the off-topic thread.

16 Likes

Lol. Waaay to serious. Chill.

pj

1 Like