Schiit Audio - Official Thread

Proper, dedicated threads in a bit … but for now … to quote the diminutive star of the last season-appropriate movie I watched …

“They’re here …”

And in seasonally-appropriate colors too!

Yes that’s the the no-longer mythical* “Jotunheim R” on top there, the amp-formerly-known-as “Weldenhiem” … a direct-drive amplifier for the RAAL-requisite SR1a. Which means no need for a speaker amp, no speaker cables, and no interface box …

And since it can take the same cards as Jotunheim/Lyr 3/Ragnarok 2/Asgard 3, if you want to, you can use it as a literal one-box solution for driving the SR1a (and as a pre-amp for speakers etc.), with an integral DAC or phono stage.

But it’s shown here with the new Bifrost 2 DAC … which I’ve been looking forward to getting some time with ever since it was announced.

Anyway, more once I’ve done some listening (again, in appropriate threads).

*But not quite released - this is a “production qualifier”, the last step in validation etc. before things move to formal production. Production qualifiers are units that are fully production-intent … which means that unless issues were found, this is exactly what would go into production, right down to the iconography.

5 Likes

@Torq - I purchased a Bifrost 2. I told a friend that in many regards, mostly in tone, it is a mini-Yggy A2. It’s missing the ultimate resolution and staging Yggy has, but not by much. He scoffed at that. What’s your thoughts?

3 Likes

It’s too early to say, since I’ve only listened for a couple of hours, and only in combination with the Jotunheim R. I’ll need to pair up the Bifrost 2 with my reference amplifier and do some dedicated listening there to be able to make any comments on the nature of Bifrost 2 itself.

It’s an impressive little stack though … regardless of where what parts of what I am hearing are coming from.

3 Likes

Damn, @ProfFalkin you are also liking the Bifrost 2! :thinking::face_with_monocle:… I might have to jump on this sooner than later than…need to consolidate more gear to make room.

3 Likes

It’s taken over for the Gumby a2 in my office workspace. Better sonic synergy with the 3F + Auteur.

ZDS + Verite being run from Gumby now. Once I see what Schiit does to the Yggy in January/February, it will probably replace the Gumby. Might try to buy someone’s used Yggy A2 if Schiit does what I think they are going to do.

3 Likes

Okay, so I got some time to listen to the Bifrost 2 with a familiar amplifier … and my initial thoughts, and answer to your question (above), can be found in the Bifrost 2 thread, here.

4 Likes

In another vein …

The little dedicated Bifrost 2 listening I’ve done so far … pretty much puts the nail in the coffin of my long-delayed, “All up Schiit multi-bit DAC comparison”. Not that there would have been much in the way of surprises in it, at least for anyone that’s been paying attention - but either way most of it would be rather moot at this point.

4 Likes

Thank you. I’m glad to have read your initial thoughts. :slight_smile:

I’ll have to let my friend read it as proof that I’m not completely deaf. Haha

3 Likes

Here is a suggested product from Avery Labels (5796) for Desktop components that use bright white indicator lights, e.g., Schiit, Meridian Prime, etc. These are 1/4” Diameter translucent stickers. They can be applied and unapplied from the components and they do well to tame the bright white lights on your gear, especially if you enjoy “in the dark of night” listening. You can double them up if you want the light brightness further reduced. The green and red worked the best for me. About $7.

2 Likes

There’s also a product specifically designed for this application, called “Light Dims”.

Each set has a bunch of different sizes and shapes, they’re available in both silver (particularly good for classic Schiit products) and black, different strengths (including totally opaque), cut-to-size and even customized sheets.

Inexpensive too … less than the generic labels.

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ll check those out as well. :grinning:

Edit: Just ordered some. Very inexpensive. Might be able to use the colorful ones (Avery) in conjunction with the silver ones too.

2 Likes

Nice. Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers from NPR’s lamented Car Talk show used to recommend black electrical tape. I’ve used “rubylith” and “amberlith” which are old-school graphic arts films used when doing manual color separations. Both are available in tape form too.

1 Like

did anyone recognize the new gaming style red/black Schiit HEL? - I like the look

3 Likes

Ordered! Was waiting on this for a bit now!

3 Likes

Loving the Schiit Hel!!! It is actually quite excellent!! I would honestly recommend this over any other AIO under $400 (even upwards of $600 with diminishing returns being a thing)

5 Likes

Ok, what the Hel is that to the left of the mic cable? (See what I did there?)

Is that a ZMF coaster? A ZMF tea cup? The blurry isn’t helping.

3 Likes

ZMF everything!!! But yes ZMF coaster lol got it from ZMFESTIVUS 2!

2 Likes

Damnit. I thought I had all the swag. Now I’m going to have to beg Bevin for a coaster.

3 Likes

Really sweet deals on the Schiit B stock sales right now!! After the few “renovations” Schiit has been doing in the last couple of months, those combo sales were expected .
Five months ago you probably had to pay $800 or $850 for that Bifrost MB + Asgard 2 team that is only $448 today!!! Extremely tempting !!!

1 Like

Replay to myself !! If it wasn’t for my screen shot I’ll think I’m crazy!!! 25 minutes later there is NO Bifrost MB !!! Not by itself ,not with the Asgard combo!!!

2 Likes