Sonarworks Reference & True-Fi

On both Windows and macOS True-Fi creates a Virtual Sound Card, so no plug-ins/hosts are necessary. You tell your player what “device” to play to, and you tell True-Fi what DAC/device to output to.

If you’re using Spotify, which at least on macOS can only output to the default system device, then you simply set the System Default to the True-Fi device and then it works system-wide.

4 Likes

Thanks @Torq!

Next burning question. Difference between True-Fi and Reference 4 for Headphones?

I’m guessing more pro audio options, but their site doesn’t highlight differences well.

I’m leaning toward going Ref4 for Headphones and sending the Verite in for measurements. It’s a lot of $ for an EQ though.

3 Likes

There are several differences. They support different headphones, for one. With Reference 4 being biased more towards “Pro” use and more of the “Consumer” stuff showing up in True-Fi. There is a large degree of overlap, but it’s not 100%

Reference 4 can be used as a plug-in or as a Virtual Sound Card/system wide solution. True-Fi will not work as a plug-in.

True-Fi offers “age related hearing compensation” and a bass-level control. Reference 4 has controls for the general profile (neutral, bass or treble tilt) and “wetness”.

If you’re just listening to music, I’d go with True-Fi. With which you’ll also get a license for the mobile-device version.

As for custom profiles … if there’s enough demand for a headphone, and you’ve registered interest for a specific model, they’ll contact you to send yours in so they can use it to build the “average” profiles, and you get your custom profile for free as a result.

The problem with sending stuff in is that they’re in Latvia. Which makes properly insured shipping, via say FEDEX, ridiculously expensive. My Sony MDR-1ZR, which they are building profiles for now, would have been almost $500 just in shipping …

3 Likes

$500. Yeah, no. I’d fly out there and hand deliver it for less. Haha.

Thanks for the insight and info! Much appreciated!

3 Likes

I’m thrilled that they’ve added more standard profiles. When I first tried Sonarworks, they didn’t have the LCD2C, DT 1990 nor HD58X. Now they’ve got all of them.

I like the results on the DT1990 and HD58X quite well, not so much on the LCD2C. In all cases though it cuts a little too much mid-bass, which is a complaint that I have about that Harman target as well.

The cool thing is that I can measure the results of applying Sonarworks, generate a target curve using mkhousecurve and then create some custom EQ settings to my liking.

2 Likes

Are you sure about the HD58X?

I’m not seeing it on the list for either True-Fi or Reference4.

It might be very new, as they don’t even have a picture for it like they do for most headphones. I suppose it’s possible that I created a custom profile at some point(?) though a) I don’t know how to do that or if it’s even possible and b) I’m pretty sure I haven’t used True-Fi since I’ve owned the HD58X.

2 Likes

Well, you’re right … it’s definitely listed in the True-Fi application, even though it doesn’t show up on the list of supported headphones on their website.

So, I guess they’ve either not updated the website recently enough or just managed to miss that one! Either way, it’s good to know!

As an FYI, it’s not available in Reference 4 currently.

2 Likes

As a side note, something that I’m appreciating about True-fi is that their treble measurements are much better than what I can get with the E.A.R.S. so even though they haven’t measured my specific unit, it’s still better than my own measurements.

1 Like

Hi @Torq could you please give me your opinion on Sonarworks with the HD 800 and , if you have used, the Focal Elear??
No hurries, when you have a chance.
I’m mention @Torq since he mention the HD 800, but please anyone using Sonarworks with those two headphones , your opinions are more than welcome!!

2 Likes

Sure!

On the HD800:

Simply put, Sonarworks (or True-Fi, or an equivalent EQ profile done in another tool) is half of the solution to making the HD800 something I can listen too. On it’s own it’s not quite there. To get to “enjoyable”, a hardware modification is also required; specifically the “SDR” mod.

If I was only going to do one of those things, then the SDR mod is the way to go - as the EQ/Sonarwork approach only “helps” with the 6 kHz peak (but doesn’t completely fix it), and that’s the HD800’s biggest problem. The HD800 is a fantastic driver, in a great chassis, with a poorly tuned/resonant cup.

I liked the HD800S better than the modded/EQ’d HD800 … so I bought that instead.

On the Elear:

Sonarworks (or True-Fi) make them sound closer to the Elex/Clear (though you don’t get the improved resolution of the Clear). In reality, it’s actually closer still to the Clear WITH Sonarworks on the Clear TOO. Once I’d heard the Elear with Sonarworks/True-Fi I didn’t care to listen to them any other way.

The only exception is if you put the Elex pads on them, which yields a very similar result (more even mids, less bass, less peaky overall), though I like the end-result of Sonarworks/True-Fi a little better (it’s more precise, and has a slightly different target profile, than the pad-swap).

2 Likes

Thanks a lot!!! Great information!!! I had the Clears a couple of week ago and had to returned because some issues on left driver and now I’m in the middle of a claim about a refund( that’s a comment for the “sales, buying advice “ post) , to make it short, I truly fell in love with the Clear’s sound and level of details, but this problem with the seller had put me to consider my true necessity for too many cans and to much money on them. Most of the time I use speakers, working from home with my wife and having two little ones don’t give me to much chance to isolate myself with headphones.
I own the Elears , I like them, but don’t love them like I loved the Clears and I’m playing with the possibility of just use them with Sonarworks as a consolation/solution and forget about the Clears.
The HD800 is a different story, they are my first audiophile headphones, the ones that move me from speakers to headphones, to spend more than $100 in headphones (Grados sr80i) and also buy DACs, headphones amps…,etc,etc.
For some reason they don’t bother me and even when I have the Schiit Loki to control that peak, 80% of the time Loki stay off. It’s true I have never tried the HD800S, maybe if I do I realice how bad the 800 are, but as of right now I like them, I just wanted to see your opinion about how better they’ll be with Sonarworks.
I also own the HD6xx which I use frequently, HD58x and sr80i too, but they don’t get too much use.
Again, thanks for your valuable experience and for your time!!

3 Likes

The peak on the HD800 doesn’t bother everyone. With the mod and a little EQ they’re one of the most resolving, technically capable, headphones around. And if you’re willing to do the mod, or both, then they’re a bargain today.

I absolutely recognize them for what they’re capable of.

2 Likes

Where is the sdr mod done and how much do you think it cost? I really don’t know about that kind of stuff.
Thanks.

1 Like

The “SDR”, “French Mod” or “SuperDupont Resonator” is a mod developed by an enthusiast, @sorrodje (a super-nice chap) on SBAF. Tyll Hertsens reviewed it, in comparison to the HD800S, here.

@sorrodje provides instructions that comprise building and installing the modification in this thread (there’s even a video of installing the finished resonators into the headphone).

If you don’t want to make the actual resonators yourself, he sells them ready-made for, I think, about $27. To get them you’ll find instructions in the above-linked thread (basically you send him a PM and go from there).

2 Likes

I did the SDR mod to my HD800 and added the Dekoni Hybrid Elite pads to it…

The mod is actually really easy, I ordered the mod from a nice chap in Italy off Ebay, but if you have the resources to put the material together yourself it isn’t difficult…I’m just preferable to not buying tools that I’ll only use once for one mod :wink:

The installation itself is surprisingly easy, but take your time and keep a steady hand. I completed it in a couple of minutes, most of that was removing the pads (@#%#%@#%) and the slow peeling back of the driver cover to get access to the center hole.

Also… I’m one that didn’t actually mind the peak on the HD800… but I like to tinker, and figured I would see what the SDR was all about. It definitely tamed the peak, but due to me not really having issue with it in the first place I don’t/didn’t notice a massive difference (others with sensitivity have said it makes a big difference).

Also at the time I was new to picking apart what I was hearing (still a novice :wink: ) but I think if I were to go back now to the stock form, it would bother me more, as I know more about what I’m hearing.

Favorite pairing with the HD800: (Mass)Drop x Airist Audio R-2R DAC -> Bottlehead Crack -> HD800(SDR)
just gooey/sublime/floating/caramel/maple-syrup/hot-fudge/candy for my earholes (the album cover for the Ohio Players album “Honey” comes to mind) lol…I was going to go on with the ridiculous Audiophile metaphor tropes but I believe you get the point :wink:

2 Likes

Very appreciated @Torq and @TylersEclectic for the info and the support .
Probably part of the peak don’t bothering me is same as you @TylersEclectic, or the kind of music I usually listen to. I haven’t watch the videos yet, but I’m going to be honest…it sound scary to me!!! Again, I haven’t watch them yet, but the most “delicate” electrical work I had done is changing the switch of the lights of my house and some outlets , that should give you guys an idea.
@TylersEclectic, I gonna give a look at that amp you mention, I was commenting to @Torq before in this post I think I should stop my quest for more headphones since more of the time I use speakers and I already have a few…,but I do need a better amp!!! A have, Magni 3 and Vali 2 and love the last one( probably will sell the Magni at some point), but that’s it, because Ifi Nano idsd bl and dragonfly red don’t count as “real” amps for the HD800.

2 Likes

Oh…, wait… there is not electrical work involve !!! That’s better!!!

1 Like

Nope just removal of a couple things and then drop a thing in thing lol

Done!! Resonators are coming!! Still scared about the “surgery”, my fingers are no the most delicate ones.
@Torq, will I get any extra benefit from Sonarworks after the resonator modification?

Thanks!!!

2 Likes