Sonnet Audio Morpheus - DAC - Official Thread

Dumb question, but does that play all sounds from your iMac or just music based apps/programs that know to speak to Roon/the Hermes?

Not a dumb question at all, and it only plays what is in Roon or programs that work with Hermes, not all sounds from the computer.

Hi all, I am new to this site and am interested in perhaps purchasing the Morpheus and HermĆØs. I am looking to ditch my CDs and player and finally stream hi Rez. About 16 years ago I bought the EMM DCC2 dac and CDSD cd transport. The sound from those is exceptionally clean and crisp, almost too much. Which made me start looking at ladder DACs. As it seems many on this site are headphone / not 2 channel users I was wondering if the Morpheus sounds as good through amps/speakers or if there were any shortcomings ? I was also looking at the Bricasti M3. Would love to hear any opinions/suggestions etc. thx

I just got a used Morpheus this week and even though I havenā€™t spent much time with it, Iā€™m really liking it. The big surprise is it sounds ā€œbetterā€ driving my amp directly, which usually is NOT the case.

My question is this:
I have a Sonore/Small Green Computer OpticalRendu which then feeds the UltraDigital which converts USB to I2S and also has a SPDIF output.

Before connecting the Morpheus, I compared the i2S to the SPDIF on my PS Audio Direct Stream DAC. You can switch by remote instantly.
I could hear no difference at all between them at all! The only downside to the SPDIF is it wouldnā€™t output DSD files. No big deal since the Morpheus doesnā€™t play them anyway.

So, Iā€™m wondering if anyone who has a D to D box such as the Singxer SU-6 has compared the I2S to the SPDIF on the Morpheus? Since this DAC uses an Ethernet jack instead of the HDMI plug, I canā€™t make that comparison at the moment.

Basically Iā€™m debating if I need to bother buying another box just to be able to hear the I2S on this DAC if itā€™s not any different sounding than the SPDIF?

Congrats on the Morpheus! The I2S input on this DAC is superior to the SPDIF input, and if you are wanting to get the most out of this amazing DAC, I2S is the input to go with.

Wes,
I just ordered a Singxer SU-6.
The previous owner said it was plug and play with no switch adjustments.
How thatā€™s true as in not finding a lot of info on correct settings

What I noticed the most going from SPDIF to I2S, was the bass tightened up, stage opened up became more holographic, background got blacker, and more micro detail and little nuances came through. I know with some DACā€™s it does not matter as much which input is used, but with the Morpheus I2S is where itā€™s at no doubt.

Wes,
FYI I tried a Hermes. It got returned.
The Singxer SU-6 was better, fuller, more details but more relaxed at the same time (and cheaper).

1 Like

Are you using I2S or AES with SU-6? Does SU-6 have buffered I2S?

Iā€™m using the I2S, this is the reason that I bought the SU-6

1 Like

I just sent a text to Sonnet Digital Audio asking them if the Singxer SU-6 is compatible with the Morpheus to which they replied that it is not compatible and that the systems are completely different.

How did you manage to get the Singxer SU-6 to work with the Morpheus? Just plug and play? Also, does the Morpheus utilized the RJ-45 input from the RJ-45 output of the Singxer? Did you need to change any of the dip switches? And from what USB source to the Singxer?

Naa,
Sounds like they just want you to buy a Hermies. It works perfectly fine.
Plug and play on the RJ-45.
Iā€™m pretty sure the dip switches only affect the HDMI output.
I have 2 SU-6 units now.
One on the Morpheus using I2S RJ-45 (aka Ethernet plug),
And one on my PS Audio Direct Stream using I2S via the HDMI plug.

1 Like

SU6 has buffered I2S as well so at max you may have to customize the cable to match pin layout and keep the cable short. I guess when they say incompatible it means you have to run very short cable from SU6 to Morpheus as compared to Hermes or Ambre and they might not be aware of pin configuration used in SU6

?
No, I just connected a regular old Ethernet cable between the SU-6 and Morpheus. Cable is about 3 ft long.

1 Like

Hi, I just bought a used Morpheus with i2s to replace my onyx (dac3), and use it with the Metrum Ambre streamer, a nice improvement over the onyx in my system! My LTA mz2 preamp does not have a remote so Iā€™m feeding the Morpheus into it with variable voltage, running the LTA with volume all the way up (effectively defeating it), and controlling volume with the DAC remote. Works wonderfully! Probably a better volume control tooā€¦ I donā€™t see a downside to this arrangement but wanted to put it out there for any commentsā€¦ I will try amp-direct soon but might miss the 6sn7 flavoring.

1 Like

FYI<
I ended up getting rid of both Singxer SU-6ā€™s. Over time they became fatiguing. They were 2 different revision numbers and the older one sounded more harsh and edgy than the newer one.

Tried the Hermes again and itā€™s a keeper. Had it for many months now with no urge to change it.
Donā€™t judge too quickly (and I need to take my own advice).

1 Like

I too am going to use Ambre with Sonnet DAC. Old and reliable.