Sony WF-1000XM3 - Wireless, ANC, In-Ear Monitor - Official Thread

First impressions …

Sounds is very good, though has a definite “consumer centric” bass tilt - most of “us” will dial that down a bit with the app-controlled EQ capability. Clarity and definition are, otherwise, much better than most Bluetooth IEMs. They do sound better than my go-to travel ANCs, the Bose QC20i (which are wired), and MUCH better than the non-ANC AirPods.

They’re VERY comfortable, and sit still in the ear without needing hooks or loops. Though it remains to be seen if they’re AS comfortable as the Bose QC20i, which don’t actually insert into the ear canal, unlike the Sony’s.

The ANC functionality and performance is very similar to that of the WH-1000XM3 … which is the best I’ve heard to date. This in-ear model actually works better as the physical/mechanical isolation it provides is actually better than the over-ear equivalent.

The “charging case” is relatively enormous compared to the AirPod version, being fully 4.5x the size:

Interestingly they only support the SBC and AAC Bluetooth CODECs, which means these are going to generally fair better, quality-wise, for iPhone users.

More to come as I get time …

4 Likes