Take Me to School (Understanding Audio Better)

Input. Take me to school.

Back in the day, consumer headphone amplifiers were sold to improve the sound coming from the portable devices of the day. Walkman. Mobile Phone. Discman. I recall a lot of DIY and homebrew amps being fit into Altoid tins. Most were powered by 2 or 3 AAA batteries. This is the era of the Airhead, and Electric Avenues, and a myriad of other little amps trying to be both small and better than stock sound. 1980-1995 era.

So, what are we supposed to do today with direct output from our phones? Many here point out that today’s better headphone amps expect to be driven from a “line out” of another device, and that “line out” ought to be at 2.0 volts. (I do have a DISCMAN around that has a Line Out, but I’ve never put a meter on it).

When I get my Lyr3, what can I expect connecting it to my iPhone audio out vs running the iPhone through a DAC with a 2.0 line out? (I also have a line out on my PC audio card, and the Mac Mini has a headphone out, but I don’t see a way to configure it as LINE OUT)

Take me to school.

1 Like