The battle for the best powered speakers under $2500 per pair!

Nope.

Won’t, either, since wireless/streaming/networked speakers with no native Roon support are utterly useless to me.

2 Likes

Haha I was just reading about this and I came back to say actually I wouldn’t consider them either!!

The LS50W are looking like the best option and on sale with free speaker stands right now that is pretty sweet.

With the caveat that I prefer nearfield monitors to bookshelf speakers in almost all cases, I think you’d get a better experience with studio monitors at this price point.

For $2500 you’re in Genelec 8050 or Focal Solo territory. Hell, you could buy the Focal Shape 65s that have the drivers from the Kantos series and have money left over for a really nice bottle of scotch.

I’m a stereo imagining junky, so personally I have Focals (Alpha 65s) perfectly aligned on my desk and tape marks on the floor for my chair placement. Which works for “office”, but less for “small room”.

5 Likes

I’m sure these sound great, but I don’t think they are powered. Side note: I know it’s not (always) true, but I can’t help but feel like potato product photos and a website done by someone’s nephew bleeds over into product quality.

2 Likes

Damn it! I do not have room for new speakers! I don’t need them… nope moving along… Ooh those Focals are pretty… Noooo, walking away… but l, I have had my eye on the Kefs as well…:thinking::sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Hahahaah I know right!? Ughhh…

1 Like

I think that @taronlissimore has Shapes on his desks at work. They are stunning in person. I love headphones, but as more of us are working full/part time from home I think you’ll see more nearfield stuff on desks.

Also, I’ve been lusting after these special edition KEFs all day. Trontastic.

6 Likes

What have you done!!! Those are gorgeous!!! I wants!!!

Edit: They glow in the dark too!!! Damn it!!!

Nope, I need a new laptop and some more camera glass first… but glowies!! …must stay strong!

5 Likes

Lol :joy: exactly what I was thinking about, I need a new laptop first!!!

2 Likes

Those are dope, I was looking at them today, I am between those and the piano white. My office where they will go is all tricked out with colored lights and black lights so the white might actually look cooler for my area.

3 Likes

I had a series of powered monitors for years in my home office/nearfield application, but wanted a sonic upgrade. So 2-3 yrs ago I did ~6 months intensive research on powered studio monitors (most powered designs are used in music studios, not for home offiices). I read many many user comments about various designs.

I ended up w/a pair of ZenPro-modded Yamaha H7s, which just didn’t get cut it for me sonically/musically. I finally bagged the whole thing & picked up a gently used pair of passive studio monitors, the ATC SCM12 Pros. That was probably the best move I made in ~40 years of buying/selling audio gear. They’re quite amazing, with great accuracy, but also considerable musicality…and absolutely crushing bass. I use them with a sub, but most people wouldn’t bother.

Based on all that experience, I would recommend the smallest powered ATC, the SCM20ASL Pro (which I haven’t heard, but many studio pros like a lot). But it costs >$5,500 & is BIG, so cancel that.

Out of all the powered monitors I looked at & didn’t buy for one reason or another, these were the 2 most interesting (note that I haven’t heard either):

HEDD Type 07: These relatively new monitors are made by the same company as the HEDDPhone that’s getting so much love here. A pair costs ~$1,800 USD. There aren’t as many of these being used in studios as Genelecs & Adams, but the users tend to describe them as musical & non-fatiguing (terms not often applied to powerd studio monitors).
https://www.hedd.audio/en/studio-monitors/type07/

EVE AUDIO SC207: Similar in design to the HEDD monitors (both have AMT-type tweeters) & costing the same, these are often described by users as nice to listen to…
https://eve-audio.de/index.php?page=SC207

Final comment: I found the hard way that when one puts a powered monitor or passive speaker fairly close to the back wall, as I’m forced to do–sealed designs work better than ported ones. The port comes into play less in my application due to the hand-off to a sub at frequencies under 80 Hz…but still, the port operates somewhat through the mid-bass and can interact with any boundary. This is probably one reason the ATC (sealed) works so well.

I got another semi-legendary sealed passive last year, the Aerial Acoustics 5B (much praised by audio press & audiophiles). It’s wonderful, and somewhat different sonically from the ATCs. Still, I prefer the ATCs, so will be selling the 5Bs soon.

4 Likes

I’ve never been able to track down the Eve’s in person, but I’ve auditioned the HEDD Type 07, and your assessment is dead on. Super fast, big sweet spot, all-around better than the Adam equivalent.

3 Likes

please never share a link to these :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

disclaimer: not that I would have many experiance with recent nearfield active speakers for the desk

I know the KEF´s, some Adam 7x and the 2k/pair Neumann´s with the frontport - not sure about the model nr - all paired with a subwoofer and some with a center, as well

the HEDD Type 07 is at 649€ … B-Stock at 599 here at the german Thomann online store - oh why did I open this thread.
I listened to the 20´s at a family members “home-studio” with his producer buddys and we were blown away. These guys have all the fun toys and do some music (most of for fun) and had a few things in the electronic charts since the mid/late 80s.

the Eve is 399 here - a steal?!

the Focal Shape 65 is 583€ at Thomann and I could fall in love with the design!

again - why the heck have I opened this thread?!

6 Likes

I use the Hedd Type 20s and previously i used the Focal Shape Twins, needless to say it was a great improvement from the Focals to the Hedd´s, also i´m selling the Shape twins, in case if anyone is interested.

4 Likes

Although I don’t have much experience with home speakers, in the monitor world Genelec, in my opinion, just gets it right.

Even the most basic of models still do a great job of reproducing what goes in to them. The only problem is that, when using them to listen to music, sometimes you might not like what comes out of them (and it’s not the monitors fault :wink: ).

6 Likes

I’ve always wanted a pair of Genelecs.

Talk about transparent. Someday…

3 Likes

I worked with Neumann KH120a monitors for a couple of years. Having moved from Yamahas (shouty ouch but useful), I really loved them. They were detailed, imaged really well and reached surprisingly deep for their size. I used a Schiit Freya in passive when working and tube mode when listening for fun. They ticked both boxes nicely.

I recently moved to smaller room and wanted something more compact. I auditioned a few things and ended up with the little Genelec 8020s to which I am going to add a 7040a sub at some point.

I am in the midst of treating my new room, but they are already proving to be very good and useful, which is to say that they translate well outside of my room.

In addition, they are really fun to listen to. I’m feeding them with an RME ADI-2 with a passive pre so I can run the RME without digital attenuation. Despite the lack of deep lower extension, they sound much larger than they are, not at all boxy and they image like crazy. I have them mounted on the Genelec wall brackets about 6" away from the wall. I would expect that they will tighten up more as I get some treatment on the walls, too.

5 Likes

these are the ones I was referring to above - thanks Justin @JTS

the Freya in the chain with the RME ADI 2 … very cool! - recently saw “Darko” adding the Freya to powered speakers - can´t remember which DAC or speakers, at the moment.

which passive pre do you use between the RME and the Genelecs? - because I will add some speakers to the RME in a few months and wonder what people use in general. The point with digital attentuation - cool you bring this up :+1:

2 Likes

Happy cake day SenyorC!

2 Likes