The "Drop + THX Panda wireless headphone" - a Drop announcement for a Bluetooth closed back headphone

Drop announced the “Drop + THX Panda wireless headphone” …

…with obviously THX tech inside and a Planar Ribbon Driver

So no ANC is a good move in my humble opinion
LDAC support is welcome

for 399 an insteresting offering, I would say

4 Likes

Interesting, though a little disappointed something called “Panda” isn’t black and white colored. Seems Drop dropped the ball there.

8 Likes

Drop in a Rush? Aimed for january 2020

1 Like

To ship sometime in the summer?

I’ll be interested in the reviews in 2020, and possibly in buying in November 2021.

cautiosly optimistic for this. mobius which i own is the main competitor but self noise, lack of passive mode, poor battery life and gamer aesthetic are a proving of be a big turn off for me. especially because i didnt end up enjoying its 3d simulation as much as i would have hoped

hoping thx tech proves to be dead silent but the passive mode should be a save at least.

2 Likes

Interesting for sure. I actually wished it had ANC but no external mics and no DSP so yea.

Seems like it’ll be a bluetooth, plastic version of the Oppo PM-3.

1 Like

That may not be a bad thing. Reading the Drop info, it seems they tuned it to be “less dark” than the PM3. I thought the PM3 was a really great sounding headphone. The PM3 just didn’t fit my ears - the dimensions were too small.

They call the Panda mid and treble neutral, with lifted bass. I’m not going to take their word for it.

1 Like

Less dark isn’t a bad thing for a PM3, I quite liked it as dark as it was and frankly I’m excited to hear Panda!!!

Hey Friends, we’re having a couple listening events for Panda, the first will be on January 16th. If you’re in the bay or want to make your way over, reserve your slot here:

3 Likes

Damn, I skipped this trip to San Fran with the wife… I would have been there otherwise!

1 Like

A look on a pre-production Panda
Clamp looks substantial
it’s got a joystick- though not golden like the Marshall Mid BT

Just saw Jude’s measurements of these, and yeesh… My hope for these went right out the window. They have no mid range.

2 Likes

:thinking:

They are right there…

:wink:

Looks like it is all within 5db, so that’s good. No wild and crazy peaks like “Mount Beyer” to contend with.

5 Likes

That upper mid range and lower treble is basically non existent though. Keep in mind these are raw graphs.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I’m not worried about the mids as much as I’m worried about the treble (or everything above 3khz). This looks extremely warm to me and not my kind of thing, but I’ll reserve judgment until actually hearing it - if that happens haha.

5 Likes

Of course, always have to reserve final judgement for listening. Measurements do have me worried though.

1 Like

Here is another review freshly posted.

3 Likes

320 for preorder… estimated shipping date… end of june :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s one thing about Drop that keeps me from buying things from them. I hate the wait.

Their stuff that’s available immediately is great. I think they should do more of that.

1 Like