Tidal + Best Buy Deals

If you have a Best Buy account you can get Tidal at a discounted price.

3 Months for $3 for any service including family plan to start.
Tidal Hifi 12 Months for $100 to $120
Tidal Premium 12 months for $70-80
Tidal Family for $120 or $180

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/movies-music/streaming-media-subscriptions/pcmcat1590505113231.c?id=pcmcat1590505113231&qp=brand_facet=Brand~TIDAL

11 Likes

Great deal - I jumped on it a few months ago (for 1 year HiFi plan).

Another awesome deal (will do it when my Tidal plan expires):
Deezer HiFi free for 3 months - Deezer HiFi | FLAC music and high quality music streaming

3 Likes

I wonder why there are so many deals. Perhaps it is because there are a number of competitors with very close offerings; it is difficult for them to differentiate on streaming levels - everyone seems to be offering a hi-fi or high resolution tier; they all have pretty similar catalogs - and they are becoming more similar by the week. Tidal is trying to differentiate with MQA and 360 Audio. It is not clear if those are winning strategies.

So, if a universal catalog of streaming music becomes a commodity, their main competitive strategy may be on price. Good news for music lovers!

This may force consolidation in the industry. Who will be the last companies standing?

We saw a similar evolution in satellite radio (Sirius Radio and XM Radio). Now we have one offering, SiriusXM.

3 Likes

Unfortunately can’t use on existing accounts.

Yea it wont work on existing active accounts unless you cancel. It worked on my expired account though.

How long were you expired? I was going to buy and let it expire in two weeks.

i had a tidal membership last year but didnt renew it last march.

So you can cancel and then add the pre-paid 12 month subscription?

Or I suppose I could just make a new email, I’m running out, I gave one to my daughter so she could be on the family plan.

1 Like

The first time I let my Tidal subscription lapse, then bought the Bestbuy Annual Hifi for $89, followed the instructions, and voila! I had added a year for cheap to my existing Tidal subscription.

Bestbuy in the interium changed it to New Subscriptions only, then people discovered it didn’t matter you could still do what I did, wait for the Tidal Monthly to expire - Cancel auto-renewal - and use the Bestbuy instructions given after paying for the Annual subscription, and it added a year to an existing account.

So, Bestbuy removed the “New Users Only” notice, and we are here today where you can add a year to your “expired”/“lapsed”/“canceled” Tidal Monthly account and then follow the Bestbuy instructions + Code to add 1 year to our existing subscription.

That saves a lot off of a years cost Monthly Tidal for 12 months x $19.99 = $239.88 !!

My Bestbuy Annual Hifi Tidal subscription just renewed at $119.99 till August 2022. :slight_smile:

The same goes for the Prime Music HD Annual fee from Amazon for $79 (after paying for Prime!), which saves a bit off of the 12 x $7.99/mo = $95.88

2 Likes

FYI - Tidal Hifi is now $1 for 3 months :smiley:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=UTF-8&browsedCategory=pcmcat1599237773795&id=pcat17071&iht=n&ks=960&list=y&qp=brand_facet%3DBrand~TIDAL^currentprice_facet%3DPrice~Less%20than%20%2425&sc=Global&st=categoryid%24pcmcat1599237773795&type=page&usc=All%20Categories

I just bought a $1 3 month sub and activated it on my tidal account without any problems.

For reference, I had an original Tidal sub, canceled it. Then bought the BB deal earlier this year (see OP), used it for 3 months and let that expire, and then got this deal today and no issues activating it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

They’re all trying to survive, especially with the dawn of high-quality streaming on Apple Music and Amazon Music.

Once Spotify debuts its hi-fi tier, there’s no way the market will support all of these high-res streaming services. At least one of them will die, and it won’t be Apple or Amazon. Deezer, Qobuz and Tidal will be in the crosshairs.

1 Like

I hope not for Roon’s sake.

4 Likes

Has anyone heard any more about a date for this?

They said later in the year but there isn’t much “later” left :wink:

1 Like

TIDAL News:

TIDAL NORMAL 160 kbps = free

TIDAL HIFI 1411 kbps = 9,99

TIDAL HIFI PLUS 2304-9216 kbps = 19,99
incl:
Direct Artist Compensation Up to 10% of your subscription goes to the artists you listen to the most

Fan-based royalties
AVAILABLE IN 2022
The artists you stream are paid based on your streaming habits

PS:
Amazon HD kbps rate is ~ 850-3730 kbps

1 Like

Nope. Nothing yet.

Reports indicate Spotify’s hi-fi tier will be CD quality, not 192. But that will be good enough for my tinnitus-ravaged ears. One also would hope Spotify will offer a hi-fi tier for free, following the lead of Apple Music, Amazon Unlimited and now Tidal.

Tidal’s recent moves, with an ad-supported “free” tier, free hi-fi streaming with its regular product and MQA with its $20 product, reek of a company struggling to survive on just the niche of streaming hi-fi music.

We shall see.

I don’t believe they can compete against the big players without trying something different.

Fan-based royalties appears to do two things: (1) create communities of hardcore fans who bring cash to the table and thereby establish two-way relationships with their most popular artists, and (2) allow Tidal to survive without the mass consumer market and broad content support.

I’m picking up that other streaming services also want to push me to use their curated playlists, streams, and “radio stations” too. This allows them to promote/force-feed their chosen artists, push merchandise, and limit overhead costs.

2 Likes

Here’s the rub with the “fan-based royalties” plan: The vast majority of users of mass-market streaming services like Spotify and Apple Music care about only one number – their monthly subscription price.

Nearly all users of those services that TIDAL is trying to join in reaching mass-market appeal don’t either know or care about the pittance that artists are receiving from the major streaming services. They just want to know they can have all the music they can digest for $10 per month on all their devices.

So, I don’t see how fan-based royalties will be a “feature” that will pull big numbers of new subscribers into the TIDAL tent.

2 Likes

I think it was a smart move separating the MQA from Hifi. For those that don’t want MQA (some more strongly opinionated than others) , the fact that they can just get HiFi is a bonus that will stop a lot of the MQA boicot stuff.

5 Likes

What I wonder is that some of these mqa albums don’t have a “hifi” alternative leaving mqa only…hopefully that changes as a result.

1 Like

Nor do I. I think they are likely to fail against massive competitors, but they may survive in a few specialty niches akin to Apple computers in the 1990s.

More pragmatically, it removes MQA from review and inspection by neutral and critical observers. Goldensound’s videos were enough to kill the format among many hardcore audio buyers, and to slow the spread of MQA hardware licenses that drive up prices for everyone. Those who believe they “hear the difference” with MQA can now pay for it and stay within a supportive community.

That’s similar to how TIdal launched itself long ago (e.g., Jay-Z’s exclusive content). With Apple, Amazon, Google, and (Spotify) essentially giving away mainstream content, they may become a stubborn “premium access” service.

1 Like