What is Midrange to you? (and other parts of the FR)

I’ll definitely give that a go. I was planning to upgrade my Modius to the BF2 here soon…then I saw the BF 2/64 just came out and oh gosh darn I may have to get that now instead! Soonish…

Right now I am enjoying the Atrium’s dearly and want to thoroughly challenge them with all music. Pretty fantastic headphone for all these tests!

Love the muppets analogy by the way, got a good chuckle from that!

1 Like

Sorry, I was on mobile so I didn’t really notice the resolution.

The graph is from Independent Recording Network but I can’t find the original site anymore.

However, the interactive chart still works from various other sites (like this one for example: https://alexiy.nl/eq/)

2 Likes

This is a exactly what I do with a pair of Sennheisers and the ModMic wireless.

@skeeb23 The more you listen, and use tools such as Harman’s How to Listen, the easier it’ll be to identify “flaws” and things you don’t like. In my experience, it’s easier to use some tracks that focus on vocals and then others that you’re intimately familiar with (Harman’s software let’s you use your own music too). You could also install Equalizer APO and Peace and experiment with it (feel free to reach out if that’s something you want to do - I don’t recommend doing it without gaining some knowledge of it first). Eventually, you’ll figure out what kind of sound you like, what you dislike and how to quickly determine such.

1 Like

Sorry missed this one. I tried a modmic when I got out of gaming headsets and didn’t really care for it. I much prefer just using my Shure USB mic as a separate solution. All my gaming is on my desktop so no mobile need for me on that…and quick stream setup when needed.

Danger @skeeb23 Danger. Do you really want to make yourself aware of more flaws and things you don’t like? This can drive you crazy.

1 Like

Well…the first time I listened to my older crappy music on a good set of hifi cans did that!

I quickly have found I was able to tolerate a lot of badly recorded music on my teenage year car speakers much more so then headphones.

Here goes with some more recommendations.

I’ve got a couple of purposes here - one, I’m auditioning my new RAD-0 headphones, the other is to try and find some nice midrange things to listen to.

The first thing that came to mind was a small jazz combo. Brubeck? maybe something later. I suggest

This is a beautifully recorded piece, starting with piano, then resolving into a classic small combo. It’s on GRP, so it’s very well recorded.

Next, because I’m a world music fan and a Pink Floyd fan, Alpha Blondy’s cover of “Wish You Were Here” from his Jah Victory album.

Now this isn’t all midrange, but there is some interesting stuff going on here. There is a slight sibiliance at first in the vocal, but it gets better as it goes along and additional instruments come into the mix.
I like the multitude of textures, from the pick/fingernails on the guitar strings, the accordion, mizmar and percussion.

Santana always is well recorded, and you said you liked vocals. It doesn’t get any better than this. Santana and Ally Brooke.
There is a sweetness in the duet (following the key change) between Santana’s guitar and Ally’s singing. The wood block hits the right backbeat. Midrange? You’ve got midrange.
Expert miking of the vocal. Incredible depth in the background keyboards. This, even after the key change shows a laid-back control of power.

I’d be remiss in not putting in something live here. This installment of midrange suggestions will end with “Sacred Channel” from Tabla Beat Science’ Live in San Francisco At Stern Grove"
It’s also available on a hi-res music and video DVD and makes a great concert. We’ve got some world class artists here Bill Laswel, Zakir Hussain, and more. You don’t often hear the quality of midrange percussion that you find here.

And now you start to understand how wierd and eclectic my tastes can be.
Oh yes, this all sounds good on MacBook Pro ->Roon (Qobuz) → Bifrost 2 → Lyr 3 → RAD-0

2 Likes

Thank you @pennstac
This was a fantastic list to compare a couple of headphones!! My Atrium’s live in the mids so this was fantastic. My new Free BYRD Earbuds from Beyerdynamic do not live in the mids. I was able to clearly tell that off of this song list. I’m definitely no expert, but this is all helping.

Also - @dudley_doody thank you for the Tone Generator link. Who would have thought simply putting that on with different sources could identify frequency so easy but I suppose that is the point of it. It also confirmed my personal frequency range of hearing so I can now let others know for reference.

1 Like

Glad you liked it. Ally Brooke can sing in my ear any day. I’ll bet your Beyers liked the Tabla Beat Science, there’s a lot of high end goodness on that track, and anything from Beyer usually is happy there.

Alpha Blondy mix of Ivory Coast, New York City and Jamaica. Went from a Journey/Def Leppard concert to our hotel in 2018 in Baltimore. The cab driver was from the Ivory Coast. Despite being fresh from the concert, we spent the ride talking to the driver who was also an Alpha Blondy fan.

Yes. This was a good test for me to definitely hear a more v-shaped type tuning. Still it wasn’t fatiguing to listen to. Same with the Santana song you linked. Unfortunately the vocalist got a bit lost in the Beyer’s which shows me they just aren’t tuned for that.

1 Like

Get one of the long cup HFM such as HEX v1, Arya and you’ll hear too much height.