What's in the box!

Suede head strap???

3 Likes

Yes. It’s so soft. It’s like wearing a puppy on your head. Only not.

6 Likes

I’m in love. They don’t have the soundstage of my ps500e’s but damn there’s quite a bit more there.

3 Likes

LCD 2.2 PF came Friday. Didn’t have much time with them yesterday and last night but I’ve been listening pretty much all morning and I’m pleased. These are a really good deal for the $650 I picked them up for. Just a touch of warmth so jamming to those harsher tracks don’t come off as bad/harsh in the highs. They’re very natural sounding to my ears. I know the fazors improved the imaging but I don’t find the imaging particularly bad on these. Definitely an improvement over the X, in many areas imo.
I know I’ll be called crazy but if you said $650 for these or $1500 for Rad-0, I’d take these. Comfort alone haha.
Props to @hazi59 for the recommendation!

21 Likes

Love BW :sunglasses:
Both my ZMF cans are in BW, it is such a beautiful wood.

5 Likes

So, I haven’t had a ton of head time with it, so take this with a grain of salt.

I’ve owned and heard different takes on planars, including Hifiman’s bright and upper mid-forward tunings, Verum One’s neutral tuning and Audeze’s warm/dark tuning. The Avantone Planar sounds closest to the Audeze sound and reminds me a bit of my old LCD2C (going only from memory since I don’t own it anymore), but without the same amount of clarity nor soundstage yet with slightly more natural timbre.

Vocals are very forward, not in a shouty way but more full bodied. Listening to Daft Punk’s Giorgio by Moroder, Giorgio’s voice in the intro sounds very realistic, clear and present, if a bit dark. Once the song transitions into a purely instrumental section, I find myself wanting to turn up the volume to hear more crispness and sparkle, but once once Giorgio’s voice comes back in it’s just too loud and I need to turn it down again.

Like on the LCD2C, purely choral music like J.S. Bach’s Motet “Jesu Meine Freude” sounded really nice.

FWIW, here are some raw measurements on the MiniDSP E.A.R.S. (psychoacoustically smoothed) to put the tuning in perspective relative to the LCD2C and HD600.

Highlights:

• Decent sub-bass extension
  • Elevated lower mids
  • Dipped upper mids (though not as severe as LCD2C)
  • Relatively dark treble
9 Likes

Very helpful - thank you!

3 Likes

Hot dang!

19 Likes

Thanks @dRnRcR!!! The amp sounds great on my HD 58X. Gunna try the HD 800s next.

20 Likes

I’m very happy you like it. :heart::heart:

2 Likes

Congrats for the acquisition. Please share your thoughts in the specific thread:

See you there. Cheers.

3 Likes

I’ve been wanting a pair of those.

1 Like

Now that he’s in his new workshop, Zach has been cranking these out.

Here’s my Verite Open, regular Silkwood with a dark stain and brass grilles.

28 Likes

Oh wow, those are beautiful. Congratulations and enjoy them.

4 Likes

Every time I see a pair I do miss mine. Enjoy!

3 Likes

Nice , like the color combination

3 Likes

congratulations!

the wood and the hardware - very good choice!!

have fun!

3 Likes

I just got these in.

These are no replacement for HD6XX/HD650 when it comes to timbre and midrange detail, that’s all I’ll say for now.

21 Likes

Lucky dog! I preordered mine from headphones.com, but i don’t think they have received stock yet.

1 Like

Oh sweet! @Tacanacy I’m looking forward to your thoughts on them! Also, I miss my HD700 soo much! digging your collection! you are a person of fine tastes :wink:

4 Likes