WTB DNA Stratus or other warm tube amp

Looking for a warm (gooey? Relaxed?) tube amp, flexible budget but won’t go crazy with the high end, this is a second amp after all. Stratus or Stellaris would be nice.

Most likely for the D8KP LE and the Mysphere 3.2
Not optimistic on driving the Susvara but a nice bonus.

Let me know if you got a lead or selling something relevant. Thanks!

Hey @orrman ,

Having had a Stratus on extended demo, and currently owning a Stellaris, I just thought I’d mention that neither is typically considered to be on the warm/gooey end of the tube spectrum. Of course, you can tube roll your way to a warmer sound, to be sure, but if you want the amp to “start” in that warm/gooey range, these may not be your best bets.

Of course, if you’ve heard them yourself and like how they sound, then awesome - go for it! They’re amazing amps, and I promise I’m not trying to drive you away from them on any merit of the amp - I love them, and would enthusiastically welcome you to team blue!

On a related note, if you end up with a 6SN7-based amp, RCA VT-231 Grey Glass tubes are nice warm and fuzzy variant.

1 Like

Thanks @andris just had a similar discussion on another forum.
I’m looking to balance the HM1 and the LTA Z40+ so looking for something more relaxed and warm. Gooey might be too strong of a word to describe it but it can also very well work for my intention.
I know the Stratus works well with the mysphere and D8KP LE that I own so that was my first thought but am open to other suggestions and sales.

I haven’t had the fortune of hearing an HM1 yet, but my guess is that virtually any tube amp (including the DNA family) will come off as at least slightly warmer. I guess it just depends where on the spectrum you want to be. I’ve heard that the Woo WA22 is pretty warm (but have not heard it myself). I also owned a Feliks Euforia AE and found it to be a bit on the velvety side, so that may also be one to consider - but not sure how well that amp’s topology plays w/ your preferred headphones.

I owned the WA22 and it’s a great amp and warmer than the WA33 as an example but still not enough to play the role I’m looking to fill imo. I was told maybe the WA5-LE can though.

The Feliks will work well the planars? I was assuming it won’t but still curious to try the Euforia Evo hopefully at canjam NYC.

This was my main amp for over a year before I took delivery of my Stellaris, and again, I specifically avoid “warm and fuzzy” tube amps. The one thing I’ll say about the WA5-LE is that it responds a lot to tube rolling, so you can “tune” this amp quite a bit. In any case, I don’t think I’ve seen many comparisons that put the WA5 as being warmer than the WA22, but again, I haven’t heard the WA22.

No idea. I only used with the Focal Utopia.

1 Like

I’d be skeptical of any OTL with planars. It’s usually case by case. I know you’re taking your headphones to CanJam which would be a good test but since you like planars in general, I’d be wary of OTLs in case of any future planars that might not play well with it.

2 Likes

Have you researched the Decware Taboo mkiii? I haven’t heard it but remember from my own research that it’s specifically designed for planars. Whether it can handle Susvara I don’t know. I doubt it, as we’d probably hear about it more if it did. Thought I’d mention it.

They certainly are. :love_you_gesture:t2::+1:

Stick with transformer coupled tube amp designs for power output.
Unfortunately a lot of OTL ( Output Transformer-less) are challenged with current output. Planars in general love current and don’t need a ton of voltage or high VRMS settings. :vulcan_salute:

1 Like