ZMF Headphones

zmf

Honestly… I think the Auteur would be a better partner with the Aeon open. Or just something with a bit more neutrality. The Aeon open hits way harder in the midbass than the closed does (surprisingly), and it’s a bit more coloured and “romantic” as Tyll says. Personally I love the Aeon Open for precisely those qualities, but I wouldn’t use it as a statement on neutrality or linearity. So in that sense, getting the Aeolus would be doubling down on the same kind of thing, just not quite as fast, but with a bigger stage. I think the way to go is one planar and one dynamic, one coloured and one more neutral/reference. That way you can switch between the two depending on your mood and music.

1 Like

I’m probably biased, so keep that in mind. I personally think the Aeolus kicks the AFO’s butt all over the dojo when it comes to classic rock and blues. It checks a lot more boxes for those genres, specifically in the mids where the guitars and vocals live.

You said Auteur, which is a fair bit more neutral than the Aeolus.

I guess it depends on which way he wants to go, improve on the afo, or get something much different that complements it.

2 Likes

Yeah fair enough. Just out of curiosity, what’s your dac/amp for the AFO? I found myself merely… whelmed by the AFO at first, until I threw it on the IHA-6’s balanced out, and now I’m addicted haha. I found myself reaching for it about the same amount of time when compared with my Auteur, which surprised me actually, considering I tend to be a neutralhead. I think I’m also just addicted to the planar speed in general, so I’m likely biased the other way.

1 Like

The ZMF Vérité have landed … just in time to be thoroughly snowed in for a long-weekend! These were my favorite headphones from CanJam @ RMAF 2018. I’ve been looking forward to receiving them ever since the pre-order’s initially went live in, I think, November.

You’ll have to make with quick-and-dirty, basic, entirely non-artistic pictures for now as, despite their striking good looks, I’m much more interested in listening to them right now than I am in piddling around with the camera:

These are the Limited Edition Pheasantwood version, finished with polished silver grilles and rods, and the “grey” chassis, which is quite dark and can shift between a tinted grey and a dark bronze finish (you can get all the hardware in various colors).

I’ll put prettier - or at least more imaginative, pictures in the Gear Pics and dedicated Vérité threads once I’ve done some more listening. But they look beautiful in person. A nice satin finish to the wood, with a rich, fine, and obvious grain …and ultra-crisp lines in the metalwork …

First impressions are excellent, and are complimenting the Hi-Z cathode output option on my tube amp rather nicely. But more details there will require letting them run for a while and some more listening.

9 Likes

Would you like a large manchild to help listen to them? Iol, those are awesome I have been eyeballing them today…and of course you end up having them on hand! I’m jealous :sob:

4 Likes

Looking great! I’m excited for mine (Silk) to show up. Looking forward to your impressions!

5 Likes

Those are a magnificent looking pair of headphones! Zach’s craftmanship in his cans is always fantastic.

I haven’t listened to a ZMF since the Auteur last year so definitely excited to see what you think of them compared to the rest of the lineup! (and @Resolve when he gets his pair in). The early hype has been enormous so it’s good to see the units are arriving in people’s hands now.

4 Likes

I’ll be sure to bring it over for you guys to have a listen haha

3 Likes

Burn those babies in! One of my favorites of all time.

Looks real good. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Those are dreadful pictures @Torq. How very dare you. :grin:. Seriously though they are beautiful headphones. As @taronlissimore has mentioned, these have been getting a great deal of praise and attention on the various fora this past week. I am excited to hear your thoughts on them as always.

2 Likes

They’re quite challenging to get a nice showing of the very-pretty grain while still getting a shot that’s more interesting than “properly-lit-headphones-on-a-stand”.

Before heading off to see “Rock of Ages” at 5th Avenue, I braved the cold and sat on the deck for a little bit listening to them via the Hugo 2, which drives them very well. Once even the lovely warm wood of the Vérité weren’t enough to keep my ears from freezing, the sun had set so I snagged another quick shot …

If you’re in Seattle, and especially if you’ve never seen it before, “Rock of Ages” is well worth seeing!

(And no, I don’t run the Hugo 2 with the settings you see, it’s not even plugged into a source in this shot, but I did want all the lights on in different colors …).

4 Likes

The ferris wheel looks like it is spinning out of control lol…great picture! I think I’ll look into tickets for rock of ages for the wife and I. Thank you for the heads up.

2 Likes

Heard the Verite 2-3X at CanJam last weekend. Can honestly say I’ve never heard anything like that. 1st cut happened to have little bass content at first…the mids & treble content were blazing fast, warp-speed, and I start thinking “These must be treble cannons–where’s the bass?” Then the bass came in. Whammo! Epic bass, among the best ever. These headphones go from 0 to 60 in a nanosecond, details everywhere–but they’re not bright. Think I heard a paradigm shift there, to be honest…

3 Likes

I heard them over the weekend also…thank you @Torq, and it made me rethink my next purchase…but I just ordered the Aeoulus so I will wait…deep breaths

3 Likes

Listening to a friend’s Aeolus tonight. Amp is a Woo WA3 OTL. Very nice!

Hint: get yourself a pair of Verite pads and try those on your Aeolus. I’ve heard it both ways, and I think the Verite pads rock that headphone…

1 Like

I ordered them (Verite pads that is) with my Aeoulus order… hopefully they will ship in the next week or so…super excited.

Just got an email about the new limited edition woods for spring orders…they look amazing.

@ProfFalkin Verite in Ziricote…just saying lol

Edit link: http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals?ss_source=sscampaigns&ss_campaign_id=5c94fc7ba097e20001226297&ss_email_id=5c950479446de700010b009d&ss_campaign_name=ZMFheadphones%2C+Limiteds%3A+Spring+2019&ss_campaign_sent_date=2019-03-22T15%3A51%3A49Z

3 Likes

Pffttt… please.

( I’ve already ordered a Ziricote Verite. :money_mouth_face: How could I not? )

4 Likes

that was fast!

2 Likes

I was browsing his site for pads when the email came. haha

Let that be a lesson to all of you product manufacturers. Always release new products during tax refund season.

4 Likes