AKG K371 Impressions

I see some find the sub-bass a bit excessive, but that’s honestly what I like the most about these headphones. I actually like that the bass region has very good texture and extension without sounding too warm.

I’ve been searching for a potential upgrade but I still haven’t found something that completely convinces me. I also have the Sundaras, and pairing them with the bass boost from iFi’s zen dac is really enjoyable, but the sensation is not quite the same as it is with the K371s. I got the Denon AH-D7200 recently and I find it good with EQ, but a tad too warm, and not the most comfortable. Tried the Sivga Phoenix but didn’t like them, bass sounded too dirty to me.

I think I’d prefer something closed to get more of that rumble/reverb that is more felt than heard, although I’m not sure. I think I should try a closed planar, but from what I’ve read so far, I’m not sure anything fits the bill. Right now I was concentrating on the Aeon models from Dan Clark Audio, but @Resolve mentioned in his review of the Noire that, even though its bass extension measures well, it seems to roll off when worn.

Would anyone have other suggestions for me? I’m located in Germany in case that’s important.

1 Like