AKG K371 Impressions

Thanks for your input, there is a shop not too far from where I live that might even allow me to audition ZMF headphones, and I had heard/read about them. I’ll definitely consider them, although I’d rather not spend so much if I can avoid it; I mostly care about macro characteristics, so hopefully I could get away with something cheaper, but I’ll have to see.

You bet and I hear you. Perhaps one from the Focal lineup: Elegia, Radiance, Celestee. Good luck.

Yo hablo castellano! Me gusta mucho tu review.
De que zona de espana eres?

Have headphones.com every done a frequency graph of the AKG K371?
I know its based on harman curve but would be interesting to see how it shows.
Tonaly they are perfect for my taste.

Soy de Murcia.

I don’t think that these have been graphed by @Resolve (who can correct me if I’m wrong).

Crinacle has measured them:

1 Like

Muchas gracias :+1:
Yo soy ingles pero me crie en Denia(alicante).
Me alegro de ver que hay gente espanola aqui.
Saludos

1 Like

I believe oratory1990 has also measured them.

I’ve been enjoying my HE6SE, but it’s annoying being tethered to a speaker amp. Yesterday, I played around with Toneboosters Morphit headphone simulations, and reverse engineered a 75% wet Susvara simulation. With this EQ, the K371 does indeed take on some of those Hifiman traits–neutral but deep bass that rumbles when called upon but otherwise stays out of the way, laid back but natural sounding mids, sparkly, detailed treble and an open sounding head stage that avoids sounding diffuse. It’s a very different sound from the stock K371 or the typical Harman headphone correction, and I’m digging it. I tried it with streaming video, which tends to expose unnaturally boosted upper mids and treble, and to my ear, this tuning toes the line of detailed, approaching bright, but without becoming sibilant or hissy.

For anyone who wants to try it, here are the settings.

4 Likes

Yeah here’s how ours measures - pretty close to Crin’s as well, maybe some slight differences in the upper mids but that’s sort of how it goes with closed-back variation, and coupling/clamp differences. Importantly, this is one where the lower the clamp force, the more bass you get - provided there is still a seal. So it’s a bit counter-intuitive, but it actually makes sense when you look at how the pads compress.

2 Likes

The only reason these aren’t an instant buy for me is the scary QC problems a lot of reviewers and people in general have had, a few of the reviewers going through more than two pairs due to breaks, channel imbalance, etc… and like 85% of units having at least some sort of visible flaw, such as pads not decompressing.
So, my question: where would be the best place to buy these, or what is the best way to go about doing it to have the best chances of a good unit and good warranty/return policy?

I bought them through AKG, and I exchanged the first pair due to QC issues without any problem; their customer service was great. I’ve not had issues since and have had them well over a year now.

2 Likes