Apple $9 DAC/Amp vs DFR

Never tried this test before. Tonight I connected the Apple DAC/AMP dongle to my IPAD and my DFR to my MacBook. I compared several Classical large orchestral tracks:
Mahler, Beethoven and Brahms

Listening with my Sure 1540s I was surprised that the differences were subtle but noticeable. Mostly it was slightly more clarity and openness in the upper midrange. With the Sure at 47 Ohms power was no issue with either. At a price differential of about $190 the Apple dongle was quite good. However I’ll still choose the DFR for its marginal mid range openness and clarity. I’m guessing that a comparison with 300-600 Ohm headphone might tip it to the DFR even more conclusively with the larger power source on the MacBook or desktop.

3 Likes

You need to take more than the impedance of a headphone into account when considering what will drive it well.

The Apple dongle will work okay up to moderate volume here, but anything with much bass presence, played at even semi-loud levels and it will run out of juice and start clipping.

In such cases the difference between the $9 Apple Dongle and the 4x more powerful DFR will not be subtle at all.

2 Likes

Yes I agree. I don’t listen at very high levels with my 1540 so the difference remains subtle for me. I’ll check it with my HD650 or my Beyerdynamic DT880 at higher levels. Most likely not so subtle with those.

1 Like

Hello.
Could you please tell me what DFR stands for. Sorry to be ignorant on the subject.
Many thanks, Roland.

1 Like

DFR = DragonFly Red (from AudioQuest)

1 Like

Hello Torq.

Thank you very much for bringing me up to date. I had thought that it could be the Dragonfly Red.

The red is available here at 199 euros($221). I have been thinking of of getting one of these in the near future. I have also been considering the iFi Audio iDSD Nano which also has MQA available and here in France is priced at 229 euros ($257) which is as high as I can go on my very low pension. I have recently learnt that there is now available a newer version known as iFi Audio iDSD Nano Lite available at 149 euros ($167) but I am not sure that MQA is included in the specification which I would very much like after hearing a demonstration recently. I know that there folk who may not agree with my conclusions about MQA but I can’t help that.

I intend to use any one of these devices with my Oppo PM-3 headphones. They would be mainly used for listening in bed due to my being an insomniac and music does help to pass the long after midnight hours.

If anyone should have an alternative solution at or below the price the top price that I have mentioned then I would be extremely grateful.

Wishing you and all your contributors continued success for this forum, Roland.
1 Like

If you don’t need the dongle-type portability of the DFR then the iFi Nano iDSD Black Label is a better sounding unit, will drive your headphones better, has the option for isolated grounds (S-Balanced) output, built in USB filtering, higher bit-rates, native DSD and, of course, MQA.

2 Likes

Torq

Is the channel imbalance you previously mentioned on the Nano unit only noticeable with IEMs?

1 Like

I also think that the NiBL is a better bang for the buck, it is a everyday carry for me. @Torq has given good advice here, in my opinion the Nano is the one to get in this price range.

2 Likes

No, It can be apparent with low-impedance, high-sensitivity full size cans as well (e.g. Fostex TR-X00).

It’s not a big issue, and almost all pot-attenuated amps exhibit it to some degree.

2 Likes

Hello Torq.
Thank you very much for your speedy reply. I will try and get the chance to give both of those an addition. Although finding a shop that stocks them here in France will be a challenge.
Roland.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your advice. Roland.

2 Likes