Astell&Kern (A&Norma) - SR15 - Digital Audio Player - Official Thread

@Torq sometimes I can’t help myself and I need some retail therapy :joy:

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback guys. Were you using the SE or BAL connection with the Elegia? Just trying to assess if it’s worth it to double the voltage swing from 2v to 4v.

2 Likes

You don’t need the extra voltage swing (just 1.05V rms will push the Elegia to 120 dB/SPL), but the additional separation/reduction in crosstalk and better resolution that’ll result from not sharing a ground connection should be audibly beneficial.

2 Likes

@Torq has the right of it… I use balanced at work, but mostly because of convenience… As in prior to using DAPs at the office, the best output on the AIO I was using was balanced. Now I use balanced because those are the adapters I have for my DAPs lol.

Also people are less likely to try and grab/use them with the balanced cable because us Audiofools are the minority :face_with_monocle: and no one has a balanced source or adapter outside me in my office lol

4 Likes

Can anyone comment on whether the SR15 can properly drive the ZMF Verite and if so what the synergy is like. I’m liking the Verite so much that when I’m away from my Phonitor X (which sounds fantastic with the Verite) I don’t want to switch headphones.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

It certainly can.

Though if you listen at louder levels, or to music that has broad dynamic range (i.e. typically not most modern music), you’ll want to use the balanced output on the SR15 to get the additional voltage swing.

Maximum output level from the single-ended output would be 110 dB, which is good for a 90 dB listening level with pretty much all music (i.e. allowing 20 dB for peaks).

It’s a very nice sounding combination. I’ve run it myself. I’d do so again if I still had the SR15.

When I think “synergy” I tend to regard it as meaning “the whole is greater than the sum of its parts” and I’m not sure there’s any of that going on here. But there’s none of the opposite, either. A lot will depend on your preferences there, and what DAC you’re feeding the Phonitor X with.

3 Likes

@Torq, @TylersEclectic, @antdroid

Just a quick update regarding SR15 and Elegia. Wow, what a great combination. I haven’t spent much time with each separately, but as a combination it creates some of the best sound I’ve experienced. Very impressed with the level of detail, and was really impressed with the separation and soundstage width/depth…particularly with the soundstage depth. I did compare the SR15 directly against my trusty AK JR. I’ve always kept the JR around for the warm/relaxing sound from the wolfson dac, but when comparing against the SR15, the JR looses a-lot of detail, separation, and stage depth. The Elegia has a really balanced FR IMO. I heard anecdotes regarding lack of bass, but i found it perfect. The cable sucks lol. I’m trying to decide if i want a replacement cable with balanced/unbalanced connector. I’m likely going to get a corpse cable gravedigger (essentially a cardas cross).

3 Likes

Is corpse cables a good company? I’ve been seeing them pop up a bunch as of late…I currently use Periapt balanced cable (the purple cable in all my Elegia pics).

Glad you like the combo! It really is a good pairing.

1 Like

I recently bought 2 Corpse Cable Gravediggers, which is Cardas Cross Headphone cable with custom jacketing specifically made by Cardas, for Corpse Cable. The workmanship is top notch and comes with a limited lifetime warranty. Lead time was less than a week from order to delivery to boot!

How is Periapt? I was considering them too.

2 Likes

I really like the Periapt cables, great service, and I’ve had only one issue with one which was promptly taken care of by Periapt. I would buy from them again…I’m also wanting to dive into just making my own…I have a HD800 cable half finished on my work bench…for th east couple months lol…

I’ll maybe grab a pair of corpse cables then, just to see =)

4 Likes

Well, I picked up another Corpse Cable Gravedigger for my Elegia :smile:

2.5mm balanced for the SR15. I’ll feel more comfortable about the SR15 connector longevity NOT using the focal cable :laughing:

4 Likes

Hi,
This might be a little late to ask this question, but compared to sp1000m what are the major sonic differences with sr15? i am looking to buy a smaller player. looking at my lifestyle, I am not quite sure if it makes sense to spend over 1000$ for a DAP on the move. I already have a kann cube and pretty happy with it. But its form factor does not lend itself to moving about.

1 Like

@Rish

Lets continue this here in the appropriate thread :wink:

If you read through this thread I think majority of your questions will be answered. Also on Balanced I don’t recall hearing any hiss. The iFi iEmatch does lower the volume to some degree but sound isn’t overly affected. I would just get a 2.5mm balanced cable for your Andromedas and you would be good with the SR15…in my opinion…

1 Like

I’m torn between the SR15 and Kann (not cube). I definitely need something portable as I’ll use it at work,
and when I’m out walking, want something that is ‘back pocket friendly’. More than that I want decent sound, and a company that is going to be around. I’ve about had it with fly by night DAPs who’s manufactures go dark seemingly when the DAP in question gets a lot of buzz ( TheBit, I’m talking to you).
if anyone can comment on SR15 vs Kann I’d greatly appreciate it.

1 Like

Hey y’all,

I am looking for a DAP, to pair with my K10U, and the SR15 is at the top of my list. I like a warm organic sound, with an easy going top end. Has anyone heard this pairing, and is willing to confirm I am looking in the right direction? Thanks for your time!

Wes

2 Likes

Is the balanced out good to pair with Andromeda? How much does it differ from Single ended output.

1 Like

It’s the better way to drive the Andromeda, as it hits their sweet-spot for output impedance.

2 Likes

@torq already answered lol :nerd_face: …and my SR15, I got it from him :wink:

2 Likes

Evening all. So, having got fed up with my Fiio X5iii and all the software/UI issues, I took the plunge with an SR15 which I have to say is a thing of beauty. Love the look and feel and even (I was worried in advance) the quirky screen shape.

And having updated the firmware and loaded up my 1TB microsd (Sandisk - formatted FAT32) with 60,000 songs or so on it, started playing it and great sound. Really like it.

Then I switched it off. Then I switched it back on again. I can cope with the slow start up. But it doesn’t restart where it left off and the screen shows “unknown song title” from which I cannot skip forward or skip back because it says “no recently played song” even though in the recently played playlist, the last 50 played songs are showing. So I Have to go into songs to find the track if I want to carry on and scrolling through this many songs is not ideal!

This seems pretty basic stuff and is really frustrating. I cannot see any obvious setting option and this just seems to me like a software flaw.

Anyone else had this? couldn’t see a reference to it in the preceding posts though I can see reference to sluggish starts.
Any help or tips gratefully received. Very annoying to have spent over £500 on something that malfunctions in such a basic way…

1 Like

Did you format the microSD card in your SR15 before you started using it?

If not, it causes a number of issues with the A&K players, including slow start-up, pronlonged indexing/index-updates, and other odd behavior.

1 Like